mz16
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Knee Pain-PatellaFemoral Pain syndrome?

Postby mz16 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:34 pm

Hey,

I am 24, young, have played basketball my whole life, and kited 9 years. About three weeks ago, a couple days after a super long session, i had excruciating pain in my knee. The all covering term is "patellafemoral pain syndrome" as it is right above the kneecap. Apparently in my case this is caused by a weak right hip, not a weak vmo as is popularly believed in most cases. At least thats what the Physical Therapist said. I am doing some basic hip strengthening exercises, but was wondering if maybe my stance is too ducked out, or if anyone has had experience with this, and what sort of rehab they did. Im thinking of doing cycling.... Any advice or help would be terrific

lander
Frequent Poster

Re: Knee Pain-PatellaFemoral Pain syndrome?

Postby lander » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:30 am

Hi,
I Got The same problem sometimes. I give my knee a rest of ap. 3 weeks and use a antiinflamation gel named Voltaren. Then it is gone for a year or two. But always come back :( it tends to happens when I surf or wakeboard hard being out of shape.

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:01 pm

I've got the same problem, really aggravated it on a bad landing last year, now whenever I ride in high wind, and its choppy my knee is in discomfort afterwards.

I've tried physio and strengthening it, and other stuff too. The two things that seem to make a real difference 1) choose a closer stance 2) ride at a slower speed.

I've also tried to reduce the duck stance as much as possible, but not sure if this is helping.

Now riding a surfboard from time to time.

mz16
Frequent Poster

Postby mz16 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:22 pm

Really choose a closer stance?? I already have a decently narrow stance for a big guy, and I tried a friend's board for 2 minutes with a wider stance that felt better. Maybe i need to get a different board....

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:23 pm

If your pads allow a different attachment angle maybe your setup is to wide open ? I'll guess it is not your stance but rather your feet angle are wrong ... If that's the case , you are forcing an unnatural position on your feet/ legs combo .

Also , in my case , some nice and soft pads did help a lot .

Regards

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:17 pm

Without really knowing whats going on in your particular case here is a little general info.

Generally PFS is inflamation from wear under the Patella. Of course you know that, but it can come from any number of things and sometimes it can be a relatively simple solution. Determining where your weak or more importantly tight will go a long way to helping figure out what needs to be changed/loosened to stop the wear process. It could be your stance width, it could be the amount your stance is ducked out, it could be dropping arches or pads with no or inadequate arch support, or a combination. Pads or boots with a defined arch will help limit internal tibial rotation. Fixing that alone can really help with patellar tracking. A good assessment is pretty important to figuring out what needs change.

My sort of fits all advice. Stop wearing any non supportive footwear. Get pads or boots with a really well defined arch support, and set about strengthening the Glutes, quads, and intrinsic muscles of the feet.

Good luck

mz16
Frequent Poster

Postby mz16 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:11 pm

I think i need to take some time off kiting and maybe switch out my board. Anyone have any success with rehab/strengthening? Is cycling ok? Im doing some stuff with a theraband but not sure if its working.

Return to “Kitesurfing”