Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Airush cypher 5' 4'' as high wind board

Forum for kitesurfers
nicor
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Airush cypher 5' 4'' as high wind board

Postby nicor » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:30 pm

Really enjoying my first surfboard, but its a tad on the large side 5' 8 '' x 20'', great for most days but not over 23 knots solid.

Looking to add a board for +25 knots plus.

I ride mostly in very small lake waves, really choppy, sometimes up to 10' if I drive to the great lakes. Also I ride strapless. I'm about 175 lbs.

Considering the Airush cypher 5' 4'' (which seems small but is quite wide). but wondering if another board shape might be better.

singlemalt
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Many
Has thanked: 0

Re: Airush cypher 5' 4'' as high wind board

Postby singlemalt » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:52 pm

Hi Nicor, I'm 6'2 170lbs and like the 5'6 Cypher as my high wind board. I really can't see going any smaller with that shape at your size. I've ridden the 5'6 Compact the last couple years as my high wind board, can't decide which one I like better. Hope this helps!

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:54 pm

singlemalt wrote:Hi Nicor, I'm 6'2 170lbs and like the 5'6 Cypher as my high wind board. I really can't see going any smaller with that shape at your size. I've ridden the 5'6 Compact the last couple years as my high wind board, can't decide which one I like better. Hope this helps!

Ya the 5' 4" seems rather short too me, but the 5' 6" seem really similar to my current 5' 8" set up, but maybe its the best bet. Again it has to handle the top of my wind spectrum, 25-35 knots tops.

Schmidy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby Schmidy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:06 am

nicor wrote:Really enjoying my first surfboard, but its a tad on the large side 5' 8 '' x 20'', great for most days but not over 23 knots solid.

Looking to add a board for +25 knots plus.

I ride mostly in very small lake waves, really choppy, sometimes up to 10' if I drive to the great lakes. Also I ride strapless. I'm about 175 lbs.

Considering the Airush cypher 5' 4'' (which seems small but is quite wide). but wondering if another board shape might be better.
Hi Nicor,

I am 170 lbs, 5'9" and ride in on-cross onshore, 20-30 knots winds and waves from small little ankle biters to waist/chest high.

I use the 5'6" Cypher noo problem in these conditions and highly recommend it! Especially in on to cross on your gunna have a great time with the board, it maintains its drive and speed throughout the turns. Its a bit wider so it is a lot easier to play around strapless. I learned 180s on it and now im going for those front 360s!

Like Singlemalt mentioned - The Compact 5'6 would be the other recommendation that i would have if you plan on using it in cross shore winds. Its narrower and a bit more rocker than the Cypher - it loves to be used in high winds.

The 5'4 Cypher i would recommend if you are were 150 lbs in these conditions.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Schmidy :thumb:

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks guys, it helps a lot. Ruled out the 5' 4", I will likely add a 5' 6"

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BudhaNl » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:23 pm

Schmidy, quick Q for you re: the Compact: what's the performance like in lower winds & waves? Say, 17-22 knots, waves up tp 3 feet? And what about strapless in any condition?

I'm 6'0, 190lbs or 85kg of muscle :lol: , would the 5'i8 or the 5'6 be the best choice for riding 17-30 knots (not gusts!), in wind-driven waves (northsea) from 3-10 feet?

windtzu
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby windtzu » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:06 pm

I too am considering the Cypher and wondering about size and may be on that "in between" bodyweight scale.

I weigh 158 lbs and would primarily use it in cross onshore - onshore "small ankle biter waves" to chest high, but the majority of its use would be in open ocean - chop and swell riding. Ideal wind conditions > 20-35 mph.

I just rode strapless for the first time on my North Skimfish the other day. Aside from turning, that wasn't too hard...so strapped or strapless either way.

Is there a big difference between the the 5'4 and 5'6 in terms of early planing or handling in higher winds chop, etc?

Is the Compact an option or does it lean more towards waves? Does either board favor being strapped vs. strapless

Thanks for your suggestions. :)

Schmidy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby Schmidy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:51 am

BudhaNl wrote:Schmidy, quick Q for you re: the Compact: what's the performance like in lower winds & waves? Say, 17-22 knots, waves up tp 3 feet? And what about strapless in any condition?

I'm 6'0, 190lbs or 85kg of muscle :lol: , would the 5'i8 or the 5'6 be the best choice for riding 17-30 knots (not gusts!), in wind-driven waves (northsea) from 3-10 feet?
Hey BudhaNI,

I use the 5'6 Compact on cross shore days. It prefers to be ridden with straps in high winds but I stick to strapless and I have no problems with its stability and ease of use. I know a guy who is your weight who uses the 5'8 and it seems to be the best size for him. He is mostly riding in high winds and strapped. It is a good european storm chaser board.

On the lower wind side (17-22knots) I think it is a good board but my riding and stance changes a bit compared to the Cypher which has less rocker and a bit more width. It will go up wind well with the right technique.
windtzu wrote:I too am considering the Cypher and wondering about size and may be on that "in between" bodyweight scale.

I weigh 158 lbs and would primarily use it in cross onshore - onshore "small ankle biter waves" to chest high, but the majority of its use would be in open ocean - chop and swell riding. Ideal wind conditions > 20-35 mph.

I just rode strapless for the first time on my North Skimfish the other day. Aside from turning, that wasn't too hard...so strapped or strapless either way.

Is there a big difference between the the 5'4 and 5'6 in terms of early planing or handling in higher winds chop, etc?

Is the Compact an option or does it lean more towards waves? Does either board favor being strapped vs. strapless

Thanks for your suggestions. :)
Hey Windtzu,

Your demands are where 2 boards could fill in. A bit confused on your primarily and majority comment. :) If the dominate conditions are onshore/cross-onshore than the Cypher is the go. You are on the fence in terms of weight but i think the 5'6 will benefit you. Again - the 5'4 is something i would recommend for 150 lbs. The Cypher 5'6 at 158 lbs will shine in 18-28 knots, on/cross on shore - small to chest - prefers strapless, but can always be ridden strapped.

The Compact 5'4 (this board is normally ridden 4-6 inches shorter than your classic shape) would be the go if you are more interested in riding that open ocean swell 25-35mph. Like I said before, its designed to be ridden strapped but its good fun strapless but the learning curve will be a bit different compared to the Cypher if you are just starting.

Cheers
Marc

Cheers
Schmidy :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”