Flysurfer Speed 4 - 8.0 & 10.0 review

Forum for kitesurfers
holden
Medium Poster

Re: Flysurfer Speed 4 - 8.0 & 10.0 review

Postby holden » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:25 am

hi folks,

just a few thoughts on the bar pressure issue:

- i think it is good that it has been discussed. the first reviews i read did not mention it at all, but for me it is an issue that is important to some people and should not be missed when describing the characteristics.

- i totally agree with gunnar on that. bar pressure is more than on the speed3, way more than on the ps4. i am not too familiar with inflatable kites so i cant compare it too well but as i remember, the slingshot rpm i tried two years ago had more bar pressure than the speed4. how everyone defines way more, a bit more or whatever is very personal, you have to try yourself.

"It is a bit more, which is not too bad a smaller kiter as you can feel them better. We did it like the feedback was for the SPEED4 in this smaller sizes.
A Hard/Softsteering line like at the SPEED3 12.0-19.0 makes no sense as you can only increase the bar pressure.
If you make the mixer more tight, the bar pressure will become a lot less. If you open the mixer (B-Main Longer) it becomes more.
Thanks, Armin"
- i don't know if the statement is complete, but as it is, it would suggest that if you want less bar pressure you just make B shorter and you are all set. every experienced flysurfer kiter knows, that the mixer is very sensitive to adjustments like that and has the potential to turn a kick ass kite into a dog. i did not try this on the speed4 myself, i might be wrong, but i doubt that you can reduce bar pressure via the mixer without negatively influencing the overall characteristics.

i think the speed4 seems like a good replacement for the ps4 for it is more intuitive, jumps are more floaty, landings are easier and safer and the kite does not loose its power rapidly when the wind drops.

@flysurfer: please consider the bar pressure for the 12 and bigger! i know that there are many people out there who love the speed3s for their low bar pressure.

h.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:51 am

I agree that Bar Pressure is an important issue. I rode my FS foils all summer and then tried an Ozone Zephyr and a North Dyno. I was surprised at how much more bar pressure those kites have compared to the Speed 3 15 & 19.

Elbow Tendonitis is a common problem amongst long-term kiters. The good news is that it is possible to heal. I fought with it for 4 years, but I am on the road to recovery. I can do 10 pull-ups now, I could not even do assisted ones a year ago.

Back to the thread, I am curious if any regular joes (not affiliated with FS) have tred these kites yet? I would really like a comparison with an Ozone Edge 9 & 11m as those are the kites that a lot of Speed 3 fans fly in the smaller sizes. From the early reviews, it sounds like I may be able to ditch the pump forever. :rollgrin:

woonder
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby woonder » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm

here is a new speed 4 video:

knotmyfault
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knotmyfault » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:32 am

woonder wrote:
alexrider wrote:Please, a proper review. Anyone? PMU perhaps?
I've ordered my 8 and 10, although I know I won't be disappointed, I'd like to know first impressions.
what do you mean by "proper" review ?
:D

Non affiliated review... And reality check...

Hogne
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Norway, snow kiting
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby Hogne » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:50 pm

I've had a lot of happy days with my FS Speed2, 8.0 for snowkiting, but I have been waiting for the next generation Speed in size 8.0 & 10.

I just wonder if someone could say something about the "upwind-ability" for the Speed4. With the Speed2 I was able to go upwind in a sharper angle than snow-kitiers with any other kite.....

I think the high AR (5,8) on the Speed2 and Speed3 is one of the main reasons to the extreme good upwind ability, and I'm a bit worried that the lower AR (4,85) on the new Speed makes it not as good as the old Speed in upwind crossing.

Anyone?

Life_Is_Awesome
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Keho, Alberta, Canada

Postby Life_Is_Awesome » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:34 pm

Hogne wrote: I think the high AR (5,8) on the Speed2 and Speed3 is one of the main reasons to the extreme good upwind ability, and I'm a bit worried that the lower AR (4,85) on the new Speed makes it not as good as the old Speed in upwind crossing.
I have my Speed4 on order, so can't give first hand experience yet. However, I had a lot of time logged on my Psycho 4 8M, and that kite has an AR of 4.6. I found the upwind ability of the P4 8M to be great, so I would expect the Speed4 to be excellent for upwind. You're probably right in thinking that the upwind ability will be less than the 5.8 AR Speed3, but that's likely a small trade off for the benefits of greater stability in high winds (I'm guessing a little here since I haven't flown one yet, but in principle lower aspect should = greater stability in high winds).

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:30 am

The Speed 4 8m was great for Mega Loops... Nice and Fast!
all the way around and back up in time for a Smooth Landing!!
Hoping to make some fun Video in the future...

Paul
www.PBKiteboarding.com

Ted B
Frequent Poster

Postby Ted B » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:49 pm

The Upwind ability of the speed 4 8m was really amazing!!! I was pointing higher then any other kite on the water.. It also has a much better bottom end then the 8m ps4. I am not a big Kite looper anymore but the few loops I tried where so much fun and the kite caught me everytime so I may do more loops in the future!!!!! Pics and Vids soon!!! have Fun ted B

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby aeberl » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:01 am

What about drift? Has the kite improved on that department as well? Has it gotten any better for wave riding?

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:30 pm

A new video on the S4 8m : http://vimeo.com/52922261

Return to “Kitesurfing”