Forum for kitesurfers
coleman
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2011 naish venturi....any feedback????

Postby coleman » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:02 pm

looking to get some feedback on this board. looks pretty nice and shaped by paolo rista. I am looking this as a first race board. i own a sector 52 and love the way it rides. i know that the race boards are going to be much more technical but i want a board that can get that foil effect through the water.

i hear this board is a little less technical to ride relative to some of the other boards out there. i am not in a place to be in a fleet of racers so having the ultimate and newest gear is not a big concern. just looking to advance my skills on this type of board.

please give some advice if you have some to give.

thanks!
Coleman

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Re: 2011 naish venturi....any feedback????

Postby Hawaiis » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:20 pm

This board is awesome, it may not be as competitive as Mikes, but it will be better than the Airush you have. If you can ride the Sector, you should be able to ride the Venturi within a few sessions. It will go up wind more than the Sector.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:32 pm

The only problem I have is the gelcoat finish over the the skull graphic sticker.
The stickers are slick, so the clear gelcoat will delaminate from the sticker. It will look ugly and is a pain to fix.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:20 am

One of the things that I am most interested in is all out speed. I see these racers just hauling ass with the boards almost floating over the chop. I attribute this to the amount of fin and the sector just doesnt have that much fin to get it to foil out of the water.

Do u think this would be a good entry board for what I am after?

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:57 pm

coleman wrote:One of the things that I am most interested in is all out speed. I see these racers just hauling ass with the boards almost floating over the chop. I attribute this to the amount of fin and the sector just doesnt have that much fin to get it to foil out of the water.

Do u think this would be a good entry board for what I am after?
I have a 2011 183x59 Cabrinha board. With the original fins (2x26 cm fronts and 2x24 cm rear fins) there wasn't enough fin to keep the board completely flat, even if I put as much weight as possible on my toes.

Recently, I purchased a used set of Rista fins for a 65 cm quad board (2x37.5 cm fronts and 2x33.5 cm rear fins). These fins are a little too big for this board I think, but it is much easier to ride flat now, and the board foils up out of the water much more. With the existing fins on the Naish Venturi, I don't know if you will get the foil effect you are after.

As far as all out speed on a reach, I don't think going to the bigger fins made the board faster on a reach. It definitely points much better upwind, and I can sail with speed at a lower angle downwind (I think), but top speed isn't any better.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:12 pm

I have tried the new sector V2 60, and the Venturi will beat it in a race. I have not tried any other Raceboard. With this board, you will need a race kite with a race bar if you want to go fast. I use the Ozone Edge with the new racebar. Once the board planes, apparent wind kicks in, you will need all the depower you can get.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:28 pm

I have a 9m 2012 edge and an 11m 2010 edge. One of my friends here has told me that it takes a bigger kite for his rrd k race 70 because of the fin size. With the smaller fins on the Venturi what are the wind ranges for a given size kite for u?

C

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:08 am

For a Raceboard, you will definitely want to use smaller size kite. The fins create drags only in the pre planing stage. Once planed, you will wish for smaller kite. My 2013 Ozone Edge 17 goes from 5 knots to 18 Knots wind and I weight 150 lbs. I would prefer to switch to a surfboard when wind goes above 12 knots.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:28 pm

Hawaiis, my typical conditions are 10-17 light days. 15-25 windy days and sometimes 20-30+.
Usually gusty.

What's the sweet spot with a 9m edge and a race board?

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:36 am

In Kailua, Hawaii I have only used the 9M 2011 Cabrinha Nomad like 5 times in one year. and when wind is blowing, I only use the surfboard to surf the waves. I use the Raceboard only when the surfboard will no longer go upwind. I use it as a last resort.

Return to “Kitesurfing”