Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cabrinha or North/Advice on new kites?

Postby ChuckDean » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:43 pm

Hi!

I ve been riding for more then a year now. I had the Cabrinha Switchblade 2009 from beginning and i really progressed in the last six months(jumps, raileys, backrolls)...I started to notice that the kite is rigid and kinda slow and the bar pressure is f'n intense most of the time. Im thinking about switching to North Evo's (based on advice)...or should i stick to SB? They say that 2012/13 models have improved with lighter bar pressure and turn ability.

Thnks for any advice!

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Re: Cabrinha or North/Advice on new kites?

Postby davesails7 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:14 pm

I never liked the Switchblades because of high bar pressure and slow turning. This is a personal taste thing. Others love the switchblade.

I demoed the new 2013 Switchblade. It's a little faster and lighter on the bar, but it's still too heavy and slow for my taste.

If you don't like the 2009 Switchblade, I don't think you'll like the 2013. That was my experience.

A friend had a 2009 which he loved, and now has a new 2013 and loves it.

ChuckDean
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Grado, Italy.

Postby ChuckDean » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:19 pm

davesails7 wrote:I never liked the Switchblades because of high bar pressure and slow turning. This is a personal taste thing. Others love the switchblade.

I demoed the new 2013 Switchblade. It's a little faster and lighter on the bar, but it's still too heavy and slow for my taste.

If you don't like the 2009 Switchblade, I don't think you'll like the 2013. That was my experience.

A friend had a 2009 which he loved, and now has a new 2013 and loves it.
I understand. I've tryed the Ozone C4 and it was like the opposite of SB, so basically i need something in between but more attributed to the SB than the C4. I love to feel a bit power on my hands.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:56 pm

are you only interested in Cab or North?

Cab Vector
North Vegas(5line) or Evo(4 line)

lots of other kites as good or better and less expensive

ChuckDean
Rare Poster

Postby ChuckDean » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:04 pm

No. Im open to all sugestions :)

I considered the vector also, but read poor reviews bout the kite :/.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:49 pm

If you are really getting into tricks instead of just freeriding I'd go for something C shaped. The C4 is pretty much a straight up C kite with depower, so you could go for something a little less intense. I'd really recommend the Best TS, it felt to me like a really fast and responsive bow kite with a lot lighter bar pressure than a switchblade. Theyre really fun and go upwind, jump high etc too.

If you really want to get serious and start unhooking you can't beat a full on C kite. I'm currently riding the Mutiny P-Series and would highly recommend it. It's really easy to fly and has all the explosive pop and slack you want for unhooked. Boosts and glides great as well and also has much lighter bar pressure than the switchblade. And no bridles :)

ChuckDean
Rare Poster

Postby ChuckDean » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:04 am

dyyylan wrote:If you are really getting into tricks instead of just freeriding I'd go for something C shaped. The C4 is pretty much a straight up C kite with depower, so you could go for something a little less intense. I'd really recommend the Best TS, it felt to me like a really fast and responsive bow kite with a lot lighter bar pressure than a switchblade. Theyre really fun and go upwind, jump high etc too.

If you really want to get serious and start unhooking you can't beat a full on C kite. I'm currently riding the Mutiny P-Series and would highly recommend it. It's really easy to fly and has all the explosive pop and slack you want for unhooked. Boosts and glides great as well and also has much lighter bar pressure than the switchblade. And no bridles :)
Thnx for the advice :)...everybody is going bonkers nowadays with Zoon riding for Best :o....The bad thing is that i dont have any opportunity to demo a kite before march. And at that time ill have to get something.

RideLow
Frequent Poster
Gear: Wipika Free air! <3
Brand Affiliation: Blue Waffle

Postby RideLow » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:19 am

I have ridden my 2013 Cabrinha Switchblades alot now and I love them!
I switched from C-kites to bow kites in 2009 and have not looked back. (even tough I have a Chaos 11)
My best advice is to try both the evo and Switchblades if you are able too.. Both are great kites..
I dont find any of them heavy on the bar but I like the feel of the cabrinhas better..

All in all the best system with the bar and everything for me is the Cabrinha setup but everyone has a different taste and the best kite is the one you are most used too..

AlexandreBorges
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow 2010

Postby AlexandreBorges » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:21 am

I bought a Switchblade 2013 because its all around. And Fuel 2013 as a C kite.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:08 am

ChuckDean wrote:The bad thing is that i dont have any opportunity to demo a kite before march. And at that time ill have to get something.
Don't know where you are located, but right now in the US with cold weather coming, this is the perfect time to buy a kite. There are great deals on new and used kites.

Some used kites are going for so cheap, you'll probably be able to try it out all winter and then sell it for more in the spring if you don't like it.

For the price of a new 2013 Switchblade ($2000 for a 12m with bar :o ), you can buy 2 or 3 used 2012 kites to try.

Return to “Kitesurfing”