But hey, I got it !

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: rumor that Youri Zoon signed for Best

Postby edt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:28 pm

Toby wrote: But basically it is like with the handle: same tricks without score higher but handle also makes some tricks possible.
that is the weirdest analogy but I think it does work for you.

I think a better analogy is if kiteboarding is scrambled eggs, then boots is cooking with gas and straps is cooking on an electric range. The taste of the omelet depends on the cook not the stove.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:58 pm

yes, it works fine for me. It is the same.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby C Johnson » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:48 pm

I think a better analogy would be

Boots = cooking on charcoal

Straps = cooking on gas

Charcoal taste better and a cook who takes the time to use it is more respected. However, it will kill you in the long run.

BTW, does anyone else think its funny the reason Youri rides for Best now is because they paid him a shit ton of money. NOT because of how good the kites were?

Just think that's funny.

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:30 pm

C Johnson wrote:BTW, does anyone else think its funny the reason Youri rides for Best now is because they paid him a shit ton of money. NOT because of how good the kites were?

Just think that's funny.
Dude should make his money while he can! Not a long career in the PKRA.

Toby are you actually baiting me!

Firstly, no one has scored a board off since 2003!

Analogies... sure why not:

your like a cross country skiier asking the difference between downhill skis and snowboards.... you are never going to properly understand because you have no frame of reference. None of those people take the board off until the heat is over! You never unhook, or pass, or ride in high winds, or use a small kite. Its like trying to explain the difference between pink and green to a blind man.

And the one that keeps coming to mind: Your a bit like Kenny G trying to understand the difference between a fender and a stratocastor.

Boots are only half of the equipment equation. They are simply control. They serve as a means to ride with more width, more rocker, less flex and a wider stance. The ride is really all about the board, the boots are just the more visible difference.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:34 pm

+1 Well Said!
Brent4336 wrote:
C Johnson wrote:BTW, does anyone else think its funny the reason Youri rides for Best now is because they paid him a shit ton of money. NOT because of how good the kites were?

Just think that's funny.

Toby are you actually baiting me!

Analogies... sure why not:

your like a cross country skiier asking the difference between downhill skis and snowboards.... you are never going to properly understand because you have no frame of reference. None of those people take the board off until the heat is over! You never unhook, or pass, or ride in high winds, or use a small kite. Its like trying to explain the difference between pink and green to a blind man.

And the one that keeps coming to mind: Your a bit like Kenny G trying to understand the difference between a fender and a stratocastor.

Boots are only half of the equipment equation. They are simply control. They serve as a means to ride with more width, more rocker, less flex and a wider stance. The ride is really all about the board, the boots are just the more visible difference.

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:14 am

I also have to agree that it was also very well said. Toby I have watched what you do and it seems like you absolutely have a blast doing it. Dimitri also has a thing for board offs but there is something special about riding fully locked in. I come from a snowboarding background (25+ years) and find riding in straps frustrating!!! I am in the process of slapping boots on my cab custom as I have heeded the advice of those that I kite with (learning to kite is not the time for boots) and I find that straps are lacking. Sure you can get your feet out quick but at the expense of control... come over to the locked in style Toby! I actually think that you would be a good rider and would love to see you quiet a lot of wake riders in the process. I can see it now.... Toby hitting sliders and all the angst riders having to find another nemesis to bag on!! Haha that would be funny!

James
www.theglobalartist.com

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:08 am

Pure fun for sure! :lol:

Brent: besides passing (never liked the style of it, can you accept that?) I tried it all in 12.5 years of kiting. I even wakeboard before kiting.

Again, I found my style and have a blast, without fearing to get injured at every trick. Love the flying feeling, that's why I started the sport! I am happy. Are you? If so, great. And I still understand !

Keep attacking?

Back to topic: Youri had twice a knee injury, very impressed with his comeback and winning the tour. Very happy for him. But he better takes all the cash he can make, since the next injury is just about to happen at that level. But I wish him all the best to keep pushing it and that nothing happens! :thumb:

john a
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle, airstyle, freeride, snowkite
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Postby john a » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:18 pm

Why do you think that? Lets just hope racing is not the only future for the sport then... wouldn´t be the coolest image...
BTW, does anyone else think its funny the reason Youri rides for Best now is because they paid him a shit ton of money. NOT because of how good the kites were?
I don´t... I know for sure he loved the kite before they talked numbers ;) And who wouldn´t??? The GP is siiiiick!!!! :D But I bet they payed him a nice amount of course - he´s the best there is for the moment so he should get payed!
They have some other crazy riders comming over this year as well, so he´s not the only one... Rumors says the most technical and wildest one on snow soon as well... ;)
You don´t like boardoffs sure, but they can be harder than a handlepass :P And a lot of people not knowing the sport gets more impressed by a huge jump with a boardoff than a quick fancy rotation with a pass. So style is still a bit relative. (But yes i agree boots adds style for a lot of riders)

But have you seen Youri (since he´s the topic here) pull of his insane megaloop onefooters?
Pritty sick move and can´t be done in boots... just saying ;)

Return to “Kitesurfing”