Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: rumor that Youri Zoon signed for Best

Postby Toby » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:38 am

Come on...boardoffs are easy!

No problem to land a 4x spin kick flip in every heat in any conditions.

I bet that no one ever will land the hardest boardoff tricks in every heat in one comp.

And if, I will be the biggest fan of that guy!

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby C Johnson » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:44 am

^ that makes one of us

andrephillip
Rare Poster

Postby andrephillip » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:59 am

Props to Youri he's a very talented rider!
As for boots vs straps and what is harder. Having spent lots of time using both I'd have to say overall riding straps is easier.
The main thing is the wipeouts are not nearly as bad. When in straps if you are wiping out you can kick your board off and slip your way into the water a lot more gracefully than in boots. the thing is when you are in boots there is no kicking your board off. if you catch an edge then you are going to get whiplashed and truly spanked! so if you want to learn something its way easier in straps. generally speaking to ride boots you need more power and speed. This also equates to harder landings and altho you get more control to land faster and harder with the boots there is more consequence. Another thing that makes things easier in straps is that you don't have to ride as fast or as powered and you can move your ankles around and kinda wiggle your way out of tricks that aren't working out. With your feet locked into boots there is much less room to wiggle out of things.
Freestyle has gotten to the point where you have to go big and powered to buy yourself enough time to pull off the hardest tricks like 7's and 9's etc. so it's just natural progression why all of the top pros are now jumping onto boots but a lot of them weren't ready to take their beatings until now. Some seemed to have jumped onto the band wagon to borrow some of that "cool" image that seems to come with riding boots. :lol:
Anyways, having said all of that boots don't make you more stylish. Style is a personal thing. Some got it, some don't, some copy it, some have to work on it.
Last edited by andrephillip on Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrephillip
Rare Poster

Postby andrephillip » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:08 am

Toby wrote:Come on...boardoffs are easy!
this is true and that's why all the top pros don't really do them anymore because there isn't much challenge or consequence. It's good that someone is keeping boardoffs alive tho :thumb:
I still think you should ditch the handle to progress boardoffs even further and give it more of a challenge. This is what happened on the PKRA back in 2002. All the riders voted to ditch the handle to make boardoffs more challenging as they thought that having a handle on the board was like training wheels on a bike. They also thought it was a bad image for an upcoming boardsport like kiteboarding who is trying to shine like it's bigger brothers (surfing, skating, wakeboarding and snowboarding) none of which use handles to carry their boards around.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:02 am

Thx for the info with the boots, good reading.
And for sure u know!

As for handle: where was the progression without? Stuck at a pretty low level. There is soooo much more possible. Trust me, I know. And some tricks are even easier with a grab rail.
But you are more than welcome to do my tricks without a handle. E.g. Show me a front 1080 with a double board spin.
Looking forward to that video already! :thumb:

andrephillip
Rare Poster

Postby andrephillip » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:59 am

Toby wrote:Thx for the info with the boots, good reading.
And for sure u know!

As for handle: where was the progression without? Stuck at a pretty low level. There is soooo much more possible.
umm.... actually the progression without handles was going forward but then everyone on the PKRA realized that handle passes were much harder thus the progression went in that direction and boardoffs died on the tour. Who knows how far it would have gotten if people on tour were still pushing the limits of board offs without a handle.

I agree that progression is easier with a handle but the reason it was canned on tour and by many of the top guys was because the image of using a handle (could be compared to using training wheels...easy and only necessary for learning). I remember Martin Vari was thinking of putting a door nob on his board to make it easier to spin it. That would also make it easier but at the end of the day that wasn't good for kiteboardings image. Same when hadlow put a ring around his waist to make it easier to fake a handle pass. sure it made it easier but is easier the way forward?

Anyways, I'm not trying to knock what you are doing as I'm sure a lot of what you do is pretty difficult. I'm just trying to voice the views of what many pros have on the image of the sport and handles. We (pros) have had this discussion millions of times and most believe that handles should only be at the school level if any.

machista87
Medium Poster

Postby machista87 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:33 am

Toby I appriciate the stuff that you doing and every one that pushing any kind of direction no metter what... But what about little bit modesty by you? Ok your stuff difficult to do, but this is the way to push your direction? With wierd q and challenge everyone to do your stuff?

Andre preaty much said everything about it. Couldn't agree more especially with the handle issue.
So many good riders out there today that doin crazy stuff. I don't see them after every trick they land going to their keyboard and trying to challenge everyone to imitate their stuff.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TheJoe » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:04 am

So this post has gone from a rumor about Youri to boots vs. straps and now free/wake style vs board offs. Off topic on the off topic.

If most of you have not realized by now Tobi is very passive aggressive about wake/free style. He attacks them while trying to be as polite as possible but in my opinion he just comes off as a douche about the subject.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:36 am

I tried to bring it back to the topic.
Just replying to the replies with my experience others don't have.

Andre, some pros pushed it that way, the rest had to follow...have you been at Podersdorf when there were the big discussions about what direction to go?
Those wanting different things dropped out of the tour.

There are many other riders with different visions, do u think they have a voice at PKRA?

But luckily they push their way, that's why we have racing, KSP, Speed, Triple S and hopefully soon an airstyle tour.

Is that bad? No, it is great to have!

And it is good to have world champs in every discipline, like Youri in freestyle, pushing it further.
See, back to the topic ;-)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:48 am

And I have absolutely nothing against free or wakestyle, it is good to have this as well, makes the sport unique with all its possibilities.

I have something against some riders thinking this discipline is the best and everyone is uncool doing something different. They should not only ask their buddies what is cool, but also talk to normal riders what they like, then they could understand other peoples passion and opinions.

Return to “Kitesurfing”