Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Remove kitesurfing from the Olympics

Forum for kitesurfers
toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com
Has thanked: 0

Re: Remove kitesurfing from the Olympics

Postby toyletbowl » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:15 am

Looks like you got your wish. Windsurfing is back in and kite racing is out.

And I have yet to meet one truly chill person who wants to punch someone's snot nose face in. Ironic isn't it?

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Flight Time » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:28 am

OMFG I laughed because it was boring, I laughed because ot the one dude who couldn't figure out which way he was going, I laughed because the announcer called that guy a dickhead, and I laughed because they were all chasing the COK, and I laughed because the whole thing was a joke!

I think the windsurfers can have the Olympics. What a boring boring thing to watch people race around buoys in any type of water craft. There is no excitement in it, and it tends to attract too many people with white pants and boat shoes and nautical themed pashmina afghans... :lol:

I like watching people boost huge airs, kite in potentially lethal waves, perform improbably cool surface tricks, and generally blow my mind. That's the essence of a competition that should involve kites.

Chris1973
Medium Poster

Postby Chris1973 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:18 am

Flight Time wrote:
OMFG I laughed because it was boring, I laughed because ot the one dude who couldn't figure out which way he was going, I laughed because the announcer called that guy a dickhead, and I laughed because they were all chasing the COK, and I laughed because the whole thing was a joke!

I think the windsurfers can have the Olympics. What a boring boring thing to watch people race around buoys in any type of water craft. There is no excitement in it, and it tends to attract too many people with white pants and boat shoes and nautical themed pashmina afghans... :lol:

I like watching people boost huge airs, kite in potentially lethal waves, perform improbably cool surface tricks, and generally blow my mind. That's the essence of a competition that should involve kites.
Couldn't argee with you more :thumb:

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground

Postby FabsPH » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:58 am

Chris1973 wrote:
Flight Time wrote:

Couldn't argee with you more :thumb:
Ha, that was some video.
But, could you imagine the kite race in the Olympics with shit winds, weather, and tangled kites? Now that would be a shit video as well. Why could they not have windsurfing and kiting in the Olympics ? Get rid of those idiotic dances with a ribbon and replace it with kiting. Simple.

john a
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle, airstyle, freeride, snowkite
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Postby john a » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:33 pm

First let me just say, I was the one having a presentation of kiting for the national sail organisation over here on be half of the national kite association some years ago. But having seen the development the last period I´m not sure racing in the olympic was such a good thing for the image of the sport after all. Sure it would be great to see the sport get more acknowledgment, and to see more money in to the sport, and to get it more known among the average joe. But the thing is kiting for most kiters is more like snowboarding, and racing on snowboards are not the coolest thing. Sorry to say so, nothing against racing, but it´s not the best way do show a actionsport to the world. I would rather have freestyle in the olympics. It a more impressive part of the sport to watch. So I´m 100% sure it´s only a bad thing kiting is not getting in to the olympics this time. And seeing how these sailing associations work, well maybe maybe we´re better of not getting dominated by then as a sport. I like the action sport image, and would hope to see that part of the sport grow and get more known, that´s more of the unique part and the essence of kiting. Again nothing wrong with racing, they are incredible fast, but what do we want people to think kiting actually is?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:51 pm

john a wrote:First let me just say, I was the one having a presentation of kiting for the national sail organisation over here on be half of the national kite association some years ago. But having seen the development the last period I´m not sure racing in the olympic was such a good thing for the image of the sport after all. Sure it would be great to see the sport get more acknowledgment, and to see more money in to the sport, and to get it more known among the average joe. But the thing is kiting for most kiters is more like snowboarding, and racing on snowboards are not the coolest thing. Sorry to say so, nothing against racing, but it´s not the best way do show a actionsport to the world. I would rather have freestyle in the olympics. It a more impressive part of the sport to watch. So I´m 100% sure it´s only a bad thing kiting is not getting in to the olympics this time. And seeing how these sailing associations work, well maybe maybe we´re better of not getting dominated by then as a sport. I like the action sport image, and would hope to see that part of the sport grow and get more known, that´s more of the unique part and the essence of kiting. Again nothing wrong with racing, they are incredible fast, but what do we want people to think kiting actually is?
freestyle will not be a part of the Olympics due to the amount of wind you need to actually do it. Same for wave riding.

Return to “Kitesurfing”