Favorite Beaches: Isla blanca, Puerto Morelos, Tulum
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

RPM 2012 really for wake moves?

Postby HMorfin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:08 pm

After riding C kites for the past 3 years, Torch and Fuel, to be specific, I decided to go for a more "wind efficient" kite, that is said to have all the benefits of a C kite. I went for a 2012 RMP 9 meters.
I rode it yesterday with 20 knots av. right out of the bag. Did not make any bridal adjustments and the first thing I noticed when unhooking, is that, unlike the other C kites I rode, this kind of slided a little inside the window. Pulling really hard.
Furthermore, when doing a railey, for example, there always is a constant pull, there is no slack on the lines after the jump, to pass the bar or go blind or whatever.

Is there anyone that can comment on this? or will I notice a different handling if I change the bridal setting to "wake style" and not "free style"?

GRACIAS!

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Re: RPM 2012 really for wake moves?

Postby TheJoe » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:27 pm

The truth is that only C's fly like C's. The other is just marketing B.S. You can learn to do all the handle passes on any kite out there. It just takes practice with the new gear.

Osprey1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui

Postby Osprey1 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:41 pm

I learned passes on Naish Parks, but I've got to tell you after hopping on a Torch passes like Blind Judges are way easier. However, what's really helped me on my Parks is to ride downwind more before popping, this makes the kite sit deeper in the window and gives you a little more slack.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:55 pm

RPM felt like any other bow kite to me, not really like a C kite at all. Putting the bridle on wakestyle will just put it deeper in the window and you'll feel like it has even more power when you unhook.

Are you riding with boots or straps? I didn't really like my switchblades for wakestyle when riding straps, but with boots they felt pretty good because you have more rocker to eat some of that power up, and it's just generally easier to get a good edge. All the wake guys on slingshot around here ride the RPM over the fuel.

towardflo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: la torche
Favorite Beaches: le morne, coche, bois jolan, piantarella
Style: freestyle and wave
Gear: rev2 7&11

Postby towardflo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:25 pm

HMorfin wrote:After riding C kites for the past 3 years, Torch and Fuel, to be specific, I decided to go for a more "wind efficient" kite, that is said to have all the benefits of a C kite. I went for a 2012 RMP 9 meters.
I rode it yesterday with 20 knots av. right out of the bag. Did not make any bridal adjustments and the first thing I noticed when unhooking, is that, unlike the other C kites I rode, this kind of slided a little inside the window. Pulling really hard.
Furthermore, when doing a railey, for example, there always is a constant pull, there is no slack on the lines after the jump, to pass the bar or go blind or whatever.

Is there anyone that can comment on this? or will I notice a different handling if I change the bridal setting to "wake style" and not "free style"?

GRACIAS!
for me, it's the opposite... i rode 3 years with RPM and now with fuel. and for the moment, i didn't get the slack i was waiting for... hope it's a matter of being accustomed to the kite...

HMorfin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cancún

Postby HMorfin » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:55 pm

Thanks for the comments, it appears that it is more of a rider matter rather than the kite being a certain shape.

alex85
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Rimini , italy
Favorite Beaches: Every where is sunny and windy
Style: 50% OLDSCHOOL 50% NEWSCHOOL
Gear: Slingshot Turbine 15 2018
North Vegas 13 2016
Dutonce Dice SLS 12 2023
North Vegas 10 2016
Duotone Dice SLS 10 2022
Duotone Vegas 9 2019
Dutone Dice SLS 8 2022
Slingshot RPM 7 2020
Duotone EVO 7 2023
Ozone Torque 136x41

Postby alex85 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:36 pm

My experience:

2010 sets of Fuels
2011 11&13 Fuels and 9&6 RPM's
2012 12&9&7 RPM's

My tricks ( just attempts, I can land 50%) : railey to blind, back to blind, s-bend to blind, railey to wrapped, blind judge.

Well, I think is ALL a question of rider's technique...with RPM it helps a lot to edge immediately after unhooking ( with the Fuel you can waiting more ) and to approach the tricks more downwind.

Adjust the steering line with RPM it helps a lot too: with the back lines on the lower bar pressure the kite is too fast and especially when you pop if you put a little force in your back hand the kite starts to go up ( more difficult to reach the edge of the window ) without you can feel it ( I think it's also because it pivots more on its center than on the tip like the Fuel ).

Finally I attach front lines on the middle knots and back lines on the knots farther from the kite ( less back stall, but not loose a lot of power for hooked jumping ).

Hope it helps!!!

PS: I don't know why but the most slack I've got with the Turbine.........

HMorfin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cancún

Postby HMorfin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:57 pm

alex85 wrote:My experience:

2010 sets of Fuels
2011 11&13 Fuels and 9&6 RPM's
2012 12&9&7 RPM's

My tricks ( just attempts, I can land 50%) : railey to blind, back to blind, s-bend to blind, railey to wrapped, blind judge.

Well, I think is ALL a question of rider's technique...with RPM it helps a lot to edge immediately after unhooking ( with the Fuel you can waiting more ) and to approach the tricks more downwind.

Adjust the steering line with RPM it helps a lot too: with the back lines on the lower bar pressure the kite is too fast and especially when you pop if you put a little force in your back hand the kite starts to go up ( more difficult to reach the edge of the window ) without you can feel it ( I think it's also because it pivots more on its center than on the tip like the Fuel ).

Finally I attach front lines on the middle knots and back lines on the knots farther from the kite ( less back stall, but not loose a lot of power for hooked jumping ).

Hope it helps!!!

PS: I don't know why but the most slack I've got with the Turbine.........

Thank You man!
Definitely Will give ti a try!

Return to “Kitesurfing”