Favorite Beaches: Brazil, Tremembe
Style: Old school
Gear: Evo, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Mostly North
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Olympics say no to kitesurfing.. a lesson for the "indus

Postby KiteschoolHolland » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:30 pm

FredBGG wrote:Kitesurfing can still be incredibly spectacular and just as cool ....
... outside of the Olympics

coleman
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby coleman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:50 pm

wow fred. you need to calm down man. this is a dangerous sport no doubt and proper safety precautions are vital but i think you went a little too far. safety isnt the reason it got ousted. more likely neil pryde is the primary culprit. as for high speed in the shallows....you couldnt pay me enough money to give that up!

now, i dont go for big jumps and crazy stunts in shallow water but i realize that i am taking a risk. but as an adult i am always measuring the risks that i take with any activity.

but the crap you said about racing and the daggers on the boards and the starting line being congested? have you seen any sailboat racing? that's just how it goes fred. it is always incredibly tight in the start of a race. sometimes there are collisions, but that doesnt stop people from doing it.

in closing, i guess i am just really thankful that you aren't at any of the kite spots that i go to. you would most assuredly annoy the hell out of me.

you seem like kiteboarding's version of "fire marshall bill"

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:56 pm

tautologies wrote:
plummet wrote:

Let us not argue this like 10 year olds. Be reasonable when you argue otherwise you kind of look silly. .
but argueing like a 10 year old puts a smile on my face!

PS. You poo your pants

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:20 pm

switch313 wrote:steroid taking macho men and old women who are over the hill and cant do anything else but race a canal barge around a series of boyus being pulled by a 20m kite. rubbish.
these people also have fun with what they do. You should be the only one having fun because you are so hardcore? You will also get older...and smarter! Just wait! And maybe you will get there not being paralyzed...I wish you all the luck for it!

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:31 pm

FredBGG wrote:Kitesurfing is out of the Olympics.

It is only out of the Olympics because of the dumb ass companies
and their almost total disregard for safety and a long term vision of a true "industry".
How come you don't post a link to the source so we all don't have to go digging to see if it's true or not?

Here's some links that indicate the reversed decision was not related to safety...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olym ... 05001.html

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/06f8aa50-2c14 ... z2C90qoMwb

might not be true but probably is :lol:

oops... here's another one
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/20284543

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:56 pm

john a wrote:
Message to the kitesurfing industry. TIME TO FUCKING GROW UP!
Someone else needs to grow up and speak appropriate hehe ;)
Seriously though, are you that h#### on the olympics? There was no freestyle in the OL plan, just cruising on a board that hard to get in the air ;)
Kiteracing is not just cruising around on a board.

These guys and girls scream around at speeds most of the he men on this forum could not handle even if they tried.

Now try to imagine a crash where a rider goes over another rider in the water with long sharp race fins.

Mitigating unnecessary risk is the right thing to do.

We're all very cool until a tragic accident happens.

Riding in shallow water is not dangerous if it's done slow or at least with caution until you reach a few feet in depth and then go crazy.

Too many videos showing pros doing powered up tricks in inches of water. All it takes is a sudden board snag on the sand or rocks and you can go down hard enough and suddenly enough to break your neck.

I've seen what happens to the victim, family and friends.

Regarding kiting being dropped from the Olympics you can rest assured that a large part of the issue is the general image of kiting.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:01 am

john a wrote:

The pro videos are cool, the industry are cool, and yes they wear helmets when they need as on snow.
Hard packed sand and the rail of your twin tip are as dangerous as snow, if not worse.

How many more paraplegics and deaths do we have to have before things change.

Many cool extreeme and less extreeme sports take safety far more seriously that the kiting companies do.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:09 am

safety?

i share a more mundane view

Kitesurf was in the Olympics ´cause the Council, that group of persons in their suits and their ties, was a bit too much carried away by that friendly, tanned, young crowd that was with Sir Branson. They were enthusiastically speaking for a new class of windsurf, just with a spinnaker.

And how could we blame them to fall into the hype - it´s not really everyday you got Sir Branson suggesting what to do and for a moment everybody in that room had something to aspire to

Next following day there was lots of very furious and hungry people. Not ´that kid called me a bad name´ furious, but ´I am unemployed, financial hurt and it´s your fault´ kind of thing. And they were all windsurfers. Uppps - that spinnaker makes a difference?

This crew is around for some time, they know where the MNA is in town, they know people. And they did what any unemployed person would do - spoke their minds to the right folks, the kind of folks that could make a difference in November´s AGM.

In the meantime at Neil Pryde HQ the layer department was summarizing ISAF sponsoring contracts in powerpoint presentation with USD figures. After all done Mr. Pryde probably give a gentlemen call to Mr. Petersson - a man job is a man job, like driving, plumbing, changing a lamp or saving a multi-million dollar business.

So that little April´s mise-en-scene was properly fixed in November. And they all live happy forever.

^^^^based on a true story

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:10 am

Last edited by flyingweasel on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

john a
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle, airstyle, freeride, snowkite
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Postby john a » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:27 am

Hard packed sand and the rail of your twin tip are as dangerous as snow, if not worse.
NO not the kind of snow I´m talking about :P Not powder, but rock hard icey-snow... (we have like 20 words for it, but harder in english)
I´ve crashed a lot in both and that just a stupid thing to say! I have 200 days a year crashing in both those two, and trust me there is a huge difference. And even in shallow water there is still water to take a bit of the force. :nono: Not saying you can´t get injured in shallow water, but it´s not going to kill you watching someone. Btw I´ve crushed my elbow, broken my hip, and broken my arm straight off during kiting, and non on shallow water. Snow is worse :P

Anyway a helmet won´t help you from braking you neck, skiers and snowboarders over here do it every year, with a helmet...

You an say I don´t want to go big or fast and take that risk, just don´t, but if others want to do it so what, they know their game, risk and the all the elements. I sure take precautions - I wouldn´t do a big loop in 20cm of water myself, but shallow waters are great fun. And it´s cool to see people going big and riding hard! And again remember that they normally pop away from the shallow part towards the deeper part in these movies you hate so much. So not as unsafe as you think. And as long as you have the right placement of your weight catching some sand if no big deal, I never fall cause I know and am prepared in my body in shallow parts.

You go ahead and wear all the safety stuff in the world, but kiting is actually a pretty safe sport when you look at the numbers of injuries so don´t go ahead and judge others... And not the industry! It´s just ridiculous! :nono:
Last edited by john a on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”