Forum for kitesurfers
rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help with trick

Postby rightguard » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:49 am

So today I got the courage up to try a back roll with a back loop. Had some success but have a few questions.

First of all how do I moderate the pull? Sometimes it would be nice and soft and other times in would yank like crazy. Is it just how low the kite is when it loops, how fast you loop...?

Secondly can you do this trick as a transition jump? I would come out of the loop with pull in the same direction I was going. Can I do this with a front loop?

Thanks

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Help with trick

Postby JGTR » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:53 am

You can do a front rotation with a down loop which màkes for a slick transition. If you time it right and keep the kite high so you loop kite with minimal power then it should plonk you nicely back on the water travelling in the right direction with kite in perfect position. You need a bit of heîght, not much, to give you time to do the move.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:13 am

The power depends on the depower and position from where you loop.
The further you fly the kite back over the zenith before you pull, the softer the kite loops.
The earlier before the zenith you start the loop, the higher you will get and the more powerful it will be

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:24 pm

Thanks Toby I was thinking the opposite, good to know. I can't do a front roll so I'll have to work on that one.

matt_s
Rare Poster

Postby matt_s » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:58 pm

Front loop downloop transition here at 30 secs.....

it was about 18knots, & kite was a 12m. Shows it can be a really nice gentle transition & they feel fantastic to do :D

The way I learned was in stages:
1) Front loop
2) Jump Transition
3) Downloop transition
4) Put it all together. Adding the downloop is a piece of cake, just keep pulling on the bar!

Cheers
Matt

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:14 pm

That looks like a front roll back loop...

If you roll and loop in the same direction don't you come out of it with no twists in the lines. Seems like you are coming out of it with two full twists in the lines.

Nice jump though...

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:41 pm

rightguard wrote:So today I got the courage up to try a back roll with a back loop. Had some success but have a few questions.

First of all how do I moderate the pull? Sometimes it would be nice and soft and other times in would yank like crazy. Is it just how low the kite is when it loops, how fast you loop...?

Secondly can you do this trick as a transition jump? I would come out of the loop with pull in the same direction I was going. Can I do this with a front loop?

Thanks
Yes yes...aaaand yes.

Less pull..let the kite go further over, slower, before pulling for the loop. You can do backroll, then transition with a downloop. This is probably the least problematic. Think of it as two separate and discriminate events..then connect them by doing them closer and closer....you have to almost fully complete the rotation before doing the downloop. but it looks stylin when you make them close together.
Another one is doing it with a double loop. Only really when you are kind of underpowered...but it is easy enough to do with a regular kite loop..just do the loop on the other side of the wind window, and as the kite finishes the loop..when you final and the kite pulls you down wind you can really go both ways.

Or you can do a backroll backloop then a downloop....it is all about kitting some air in the kite and keep on rocking.

What kite are you using?

matt_s
Rare Poster

Postby matt_s » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:58 pm

rightguard wrote:That looks like a front roll back loop...

If you roll and loop in the same direction don't you come out of it with no twists in the lines. Seems like you are coming out of it with two full twists in the lines.

Nice jump though...
Thanks....Hmm... I always looked at the loop from the new directon of travel which would make it a downloop, but as I think about it more (and spent 10 mins spinning round the kitchen like a loon) yeah youre right it is really a back loop. time for me to start trying looping the other way too then!

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:26 pm

I was on a 8m bolt and then later on a 8m ride. I had more of a yank on the ride but not sure if that was me or the kite. Tried it about 6 times on the bolt and they were all real soft and seemed sort of easy. Then I kind of scared myself on the ride.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:53 pm

rightguard wrote:I was on a 8m bolt and then later on a 8m ride. I had more of a yank on the ride but not sure if that was me or the kite. Tried it about 6 times on the bolt and they were all real soft and seemed sort of easy. Then I kind of scared myself on the ride.

Nice. I wrote a thing on how good the Bolt is to start doing exactly those things...
For the ride, let the kite cross the window a little further. The kite will easily pick up the slack and not fall in or anything like that. It does pule a little more than the Bolt. If you pull slowly in the beginning then once you make your rotation, whip it around you'll have a much same experience. Now note that ANY kite can pull hard if you give it too much speed.

The ride is super for that drag your hand slowly hover to rotation with a kiteloop at the end. The 8 Ride...ahhh. :-)

I know you guys have different conditions than us Oahu guys and small kite windy conditions will always have more risk than lighter wind slower kites...so be careful. :-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”