Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Help a mate launch or land, with your kite in the air

Forum for kitesurfers
windrupted
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw
Has thanked: 0

Re: Help a mate launch or land, with your kite in the air

Postby windrupted » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:56 am

FredBGG wrote:Way simpler and safer to launch your friend first and then self launch..... :thumb:
That is fine on a wide sandy beach during a launch. But what if you are out kiting, the wind comes up strong and gusty, and some other guy gets tired and needs to put his kite down? He's on the beach, struggling to self land and he can't? You can't self land either because it's getting crazy. The only thing you can do to help him is catch his kite while flying your kite, or go over and hold his CL while he runs to the kite. I like to grab his kite while flying mine, as I know for sure I have killed the other kite, but it is not always easy.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:49 am

I'be done the fly-your-kite-while-launching-someone-else. I don't recommend it.

For launching, one of you should self launch. If you don't have a good clean beach, or aren't comfortable self launching, use a tether launch. No excuses. Don't launch someone else's kite while you are hooked in.

For landing. Definitely don't do it. If conditions are good you should have no trouble self landing, if conditions are bad you absolutely do not want two kite so close together while on shore. That is a really good way to get killed. If your buddy doesn't know enough about kiting to self land in strong wind e sure as hell doesn't know enough about kiting to be trusted to land his kite into your arms without tangling your lines. Same goes for you. Yeah, it sucks spending 10 minutes getting tangles out after hitting the QR and getting a few spins, but it beats getting two kites tangled on the beach in bad winds. I've watched good kiters lose control of there kites while launching/landing in bad wind, it can happen to anyone. That's why you shouldn't be anywhere near another kite (that is in the air). If there is bad wind and you can't get someone who knows how to land a kite to give you their full and undivided attention, release to one line. I've released to one line in about 45 knots without any problems but inconvenience, it is more or less always a safe and valid option.

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Flight Time » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:25 am

windrupted wrote: That is fine on a wide sandy beach during a launch. But what if you are out kiting, the wind comes up strong and gusty, and some other guy gets tired and needs to put his kite down? He's on the beach, struggling to self land and he can't? You can't self land either because it's getting crazy. The only thing you can do to help him is catch his kite while flying your kite, or go over and hold his CL while he runs to the kite. I like to grab his kite while flying mine, as I know for sure I have killed the other kite, but it is not always easy.
If the wind comes up strong and gusty, one throws the release and lands the other safely and responsibly. If the wind is strong and gusty, you have NO business trying to land someone else while struggling with the gusty wind. :nono: It's setting yourself up to be a Darwin award contender. If the guy comes in tired and he can't self land, he throws his QR and flags the kite, problem solved, without risking another kiter's safety.

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:09 am

windrupted wrote:
Ned Divine wrote:
plummet wrote: When teathered landing I always walk/run to the kite with my hand applying pressure on the top front line pulling it foward just a tad. This stops the kite rolling back and powering up. The worst it can do is fall foward on the le
Very good tip! :thumb:
What an excellent and useful topic. Here is a subject that, wether you agree or not, every one of us has to deal with. I like the idea on a nice steady thermal breeze. It is easier. In nuking and gusty post-frontal madness, I'd sooner subdue the landing person's kite by the leading edge to avoid a potential catastrophe. In launch you can pretty well see that it will stay and then why not? I also use Plummet's method of holding the top leader as I run out to the kite and it works.
Thanks! I fully agree that this method's ideal weather is a nice steady thermal breeze. The other methods are also very useful, it helps a lot to read through the different opinions and tips.
Familiarity is an advantage, what we regularly do (provided it is not unreasonable) we usually do it well and might as well keep doing it.
I don't think there is any method that will be 100% safe for the kite or the rider but then kitesurfing was never about being 100% safe, it was about being 100% happy :)

bikesandboards
Rare Poster
Local Beach: St Heliers. Muriwai. The Ditch. Orewa

Postby bikesandboards » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:32 am

windrupted wrote:
FredBGG wrote:Way simpler and safer to launch your friend first and then self launch..... :thumb:
That is fine on a wide sandy beach during a launch. But what if you are out kiting, the wind comes up strong and gusty, and some other guy gets tired and needs to put his kite down? He's on the beach, struggling to self land and he can't? You can't self land either because it's getting crazy. The only thing you can do to help him is catch his kite while flying your kite, or go over and hold his CL while he runs to the kite. I like to grab his kite while flying mine, as I know for sure I have killed the other kite, but it is not always easy.
Yeah I have to disagree mostly with these methods especially the rationale for landing. For me if it does turn to crap and there is no room I'd rather go back out and pull the release and wind in whilst drifting back to shore than have a guy wrestle landing a kite whilst he's struggling with his own.

I detest landing and launching with a kite in the air. In my most humble of opinions it's one of the for more dangerous things to do with a kite.

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:21 am

bikesandboards wrote: Yeah I have to disagree mostly with these methods especially the rationale for landing. For me if it does turn to crap and there is no room I'd rather go back out and pull the release and wind in whilst drifting back to shore than have a guy wrestle landing a kite whilst he's struggling with his own.

I detest landing and launching with a kite in the air. In my most humble of opinions it's one of the for more dangerous things to do with a kite.
Releasing in the water can also be dangerous if the sea is rough, the waves might make a line or a bridle twist around a tip and then you have a deathloop situation. Releasing on land might also prove dangerous in sinister conditions.
Many people here - including myself :oops: - say that "I NEVER HAD any problem doing this" but this is very different than saying "I WILL NEVER HAVE a problem doing this" or "YOU will never have a problem doing this".
It sounds reasonable to detest landing and launching while your kite is in the air. But in the right conditions and with the right skill it can't be that dangerous. Has anybody actually ever heard of an accident that happened this way? It would be nice to know. :?:
I have heard of numerous accidents and fatalities but never ever heard of one occuring like this. Maybe the extra attention we pay during it (feeling it is not an ordinary thing to do) makes it safer than a relaxed, careless, cool assisted launch that nobody cared to check the lines for tangles etc.

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:41 am

Flight Time wrote:
windrupted wrote: That is fine on a wide sandy beach during a launch. But what if you are out kiting, the wind comes up strong and gusty, and some other guy gets tired and needs to put his kite down? He's on the beach, struggling to self land and he can't? You can't self land either because it's getting crazy. The only thing you can do to help him is catch his kite while flying your kite, or go over and hold his CL while he runs to the kite. I like to grab his kite while flying mine, as I know for sure I have killed the other kite, but it is not always easy.
If the wind comes up strong and gusty, one throws the release and lands the other safely and responsibly. If the wind is strong and gusty, you have NO business trying to land someone else while struggling with the gusty wind. :nono: It's setting yourself up to be a Darwin award contender. If the guy comes in tired and he can't self land, he throws his QR and flags the kite, problem solved, without risking another kiter's safety.
Ned Divine wrote:Obviously I would not recommend it for very strong winds, it is not needed if other kiters are around to assist otherwise, downwind clearance is needed etc etc.
Just a reminder from page 1, I also do not use this in very strong (or strong and gusty) winds. I wait for another kiter to come and help or throw the QR if nobody is there to assist :)

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:03 pm

do it all the time, some times it is more sketchy than others.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:06 pm

Tone wrote:do it all the time, some times it is more sketchy than others.
Do what ?

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:23 pm

jedi1 wrote:
And when something goes wrong and a bouncing kite gets into powerzone, while you hold the chickenloop, then you are...
Sorry but never seen this happen or had this happen to me in years, some kites may move a bit on windy days but kites will never find their own way into the power zone unless cause by rider error.

Return to “Kitesurfing”