Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Mako King Vs Airush Sector 60v3 Vs Airush One design?

Forum for kitesurfers
Telekiter
Frequent Poster
Gear: Kites:
-7.5 m, BEST kahoona -09
-9 m Switch Element -12
-13 m Switch Element -12
-17 m Blade Fat Lady -11
-10 m, FS Psycho3, -08

Boards:
-OR Mako 150x40.
-OR Mako King 165x44
Brand Affiliation: Switchkites Team rider.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mako King Vs Airush Sector 60v3 Vs Airush One design?

Postby Telekiter » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:47 am

Nice input there guys, realy helpfull.

Since I do alreadey have both the Mako 150 (TT) and the Mako King (Have no plans to sell either!!) I don´t have to choose, realy :P . My Q was mainly how a Sector would compare to the Mako King if/when I get into some small waves and chop. I do agree that the King is simply unbeatable in chop :thumb:

My plan (btw I´m 90 kg) is to get the Sector 60 v3 (or v2 or One design) for cruising/racing/slalom in wind of 9-12/14 knots using either my Blade Fat Lady or my Switch Element 13. In those winds we dont have much chop, well, very little anyway. I will also get the extra fin to ride the 60 3 fin thruster and use that together with a single back strap if I get some descent swell.

However I´m not fully set on the Sector. There are others like the RRD freerace and now the BEST Kiola is coming out. I´m sure both Cabrinha, Naish and North have there eyes wide open to following the developement of this "genre".

I have, with great interest, followed the other threads on the Sector subject so I´m confident that I have a fairly accurate picture of the Sector in my head now.

But keep adding input to this thread, it nice reading.

/Urban.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:44 pm

Telekiter wrote:Nice input there guys, realy helpfull.

Since I do alreadey have both the Mako 150 (TT) and the Mako King (Have no plans to sell either!!) I don´t have to choose, realy :P . My Q was mainly how a Sector would compare to the Mako King if/when I get into some small waves and chop. I do agree that the King is simply unbeatable in chop :thumb:

My plan (btw I´m 90 kg) is to get the Sector 60 v3 (or v2 or One design) for cruising/racing/slalom in wind of 9-12/14 knots using either my Blade Fat Lady or my Switch Element 13. In those winds we dont have much chop, well, very little anyway. I will also get the extra fin to ride the 60 3 fin thruster and use that together with a single back strap if I get some descent swell.

However I´m not fully set on the Sector. There are others like the RRD freerace and now the BEST Kiola is coming out. I´m sure both Cabrinha, Naish and North have there eyes wide open to following the developement of this "genre".

I have, with great interest, followed the other threads on the Sector subject so I´m confident that I have a fairly accurate picture of the Sector in my head now.

But keep adding input to this thread, it nice reading.

/Urban.
Hi Telekiter,

First Let me give You some info,
I have 80kg, I had a switch element 13m , I have a sector 60v2 so 4 fin only

Here l go, first on the switch Element 13m, a very good kite, it got Me going with the sector and ''some'' lightwind experience in 8/9 knots, from 9 knots upward no problem.
As it is fast and floats well in little airs, you sine the kite a couple of times, and your going.

The only ,and Strictly for My feeling, thing why l sold the Element for, is that to My feeling it was not flying deep enough into the edge of the wind window, this produces a massive power if the wind picks up, l tried with depowering and all the tricks, but for my feeling is the kite a perfect alrounder, for TT riders, maybe in its small sizes for wave directionals, as it drifts very good, and is very stable.

The Sector60 I fly it from 8/9 knots ( ozone edge 13m )till my todays max 24 knots(switch method 9m)

We only get ''windwaves'' on this part of the northsee, together with the current gives brutal choppy conditions at some places.

I promise you, when you take your time to get used to this board and chop or other watersurface conditions, it can handle them all! Yes it is sportly challenging, without it being as demanding as on the full Boxy raceboards.

l have 58 yo...and this board is giving us fun( some other guys Here have it too) cruising tours, racing each other, or just simply when tired bringing the kite up getting The backfoot out of the strap and just cruising...all possible.
Lightwind with the V3 version, put your 4 fins! :-)

From 15/16 knots, l use my Switch Method 9 m.....this kite is a dream on the raceboard...it flies Very far into the wind windows edge, downwind it is a dream, drifting along, and even in 12/ 13 knots it brings you home, as it is lightweight and fast :-) and l do not Have to win regattas its just for fun, l am- sure along your coasts it must be a dream!( should visit sweden one time :-) )

My friend is flying Best kahoona's 13,5m and 9m on it and had 90 kg, we both have a lot of fun and nice tours with these combinations!

Good luck with your choice...an no, l have not been paid by Airush :-)

Dude Belgium

Telekiter
Frequent Poster
-7.5 m, BEST kahoona -09
-9 m Switch Element -12
-13 m Switch Element -12
-17 m Blade Fat Lady -11
-10 m, FS Psycho3, -08

Boards:
-OR Mako 150x40.
-OR Mako King 165x44

Postby Telekiter » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:12 pm

Whaaaat, "The element sits to far back int the window and the Method sits furthuer to the edge"?? I would have guessed that it is the other way around, the Method sits deeper than the Element since it is a dedicated wave kite and therefore the Element would go better upvind = better for racing.

And your budy sucessfully rides the Kahoona. I find it hard to believe the the Kahoona would beat the Element for racing.

You chosse the Ozone Edge over the Switch Nitro (I would recon the Nitro II would be great with this board?!?!?

I will most likely go for the Sector One Design since it is the same as the Sector V2. It is also a bit less money compared to the Sectro V3, about 200 Euros infact.

/Urban.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Spain
Danemark
France
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5

Postby naishdude » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:37 pm

Telekiter wrote:Whaaaat, "The element sits to far back int the window and the Method sits furthuer to the edge"Yes it does, the method has a very thin leading edge and flies further towards towards the edge of the window...?? I would have guessed that it is the other way around, the Method sits deeper than the Element since it is a dedicated wave kite and therefore the Element would go better upvind = better for racing.sorry but the method goes better, easier upwind

And your budy sucessfully rides the Kahoona. I find it hard to believe the the Kahoona would beat the Element for racing.that l did not say, l just mentioned that he Does not fly race dedicated kites, and has big fun with the board

You chosse the Ozone Edge over the Switch Nitro (I would recon the Nitro II would be great with this board?!?!?I was not able to fly the Nitrov2, I Have had the Nitro v1! But too much barpressure, and this is where the Edge exels in Low barpressure

I will most likely go for the Sector One Design since it is the same as the Sector V2. It is also a bit less money compared to the Sectro V3, about 200 Euros infact. the v2 is A real good board , yes It is the same as the one design, good luck and good fun
Dude :cool2:

/Urban.

Telekiter
Frequent Poster
-7.5 m, BEST kahoona -09
-9 m Switch Element -12
-13 m Switch Element -12
-17 m Blade Fat Lady -11
-10 m, FS Psycho3, -08

Boards:
-OR Mako 150x40.
-OR Mako King 165x44

Postby Telekiter » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:57 pm

ok, puhh, I got anxious there for a bit, about having to swapp out my kites to :-) . Hmmm, the Nitro II:s are very tempting though, wonder if a N14 would be sufficient or do I go for the N16 R, if I take the plunge?

/Urban.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Spain
Danemark
France
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5

Postby naishdude » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:05 pm

Telekiter wrote:ok, puhh, I got anxious there for a bit, about having to swapp out my kites to :-) . Hmmm, the Nitro II:s are very tempting though, wonder if a N14 would be sufficient or do I go for the N16 R, if I take the plunge?

/Urban.

No problem :wink: .
Regarding your ''gear'' question, if it is just fun cruising,racing with the friends, l myself would not go bigger than Nitro V2 14 m for sure.
If you want to go with the absolute lightest wind then 16m...
For me the sector, makes l do not need big sized kites anymore, my Edge is only used for the sector, it is 13m and together with the Sector it gets me going when others take their doors and 21m flysurfers....but I go where l want to go to far downwind, then back upwind etc.....they only go up and down a bit....
Succes,

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:48 pm

naishdude wrote: .......
I will most likely go for the Sector One Design since it is the same as the Sector V2. It is also a bit less money compared to the Sectro V3, about 200 Euros infact. the v2 is A real good board , yes It is the same as the one design, good luck and good fun

/Urban.
V1 and V2 are not quite the same. V2 has somewhat wider tail, planes a bit earlier as a consequence, but is not as easy to gibe.
I think standard fins are longer and are straighter on the V2 (or is it the other way round?).
:bye:

Telekiter
Frequent Poster
-7.5 m, BEST kahoona -09
-9 m Switch Element -12
-13 m Switch Element -12
-17 m Blade Fat Lady -11
-10 m, FS Psycho3, -08

Boards:
-OR Mako 150x40.
-OR Mako King 165x44

Postby Telekiter » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:24 pm

alexrider wrote:

/Urban.
V1 and V2 are not quite the same. V2 has somewhat wider tail, planes a bit earlier as a consequence, but is not as easy to gibe.
I think standard fins are longer and are straighter on the V2 (or is it the other way round?).
I was under the impression that the Sector "One design" was the same as the V2. Note, the "One design" is NOT the same as the V1.

/Urban.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Spain
Danemark
France
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5

Postby naishdude » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:28 am

Telekiter wrote:
alexrider wrote:

/Urban.
I was under the impression that the Sector "One design" was the same as the V2. Note, the "One design" is NOT the same as the V1.

/Urban.
V1= the black and white spotted bottom, most canted fins
V1 1/2 = full white bottom larger footpad on top, footstraps have those pullhandles, same as V1

V2 = newer shape, still full footpad, longer fins than previous, fins less cant
One design= same shape as V2, back and front footpad under straps, official race board for the Airush one design races

V3= latest version 2012/2013 new shape double rearstraps, possible 4 or 3 fin setup

Telekiter
Frequent Poster
-7.5 m, BEST kahoona -09
-9 m Switch Element -12
-13 m Switch Element -12
-17 m Blade Fat Lady -11
-10 m, FS Psycho3, -08

Boards:
-OR Mako 150x40.
-OR Mako King 165x44

Postby Telekiter » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:07 am

Always nice to be right.

Thanx for the clarification, Dude :D .

/Urban.

Return to “Kitesurfing”