Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Raptout
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ben Wilson Noise report needed

Postby Raptout » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:42 am

:bye: Have you your ben wilson Noise ???????
What is your felling ?????? :remybussi:

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Re: Ben Wilson Noise report needed

Postby topmick » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:48 am

laroyboards
Rare Poster
Local Beach: mission beach san diego
Favorite Beaches: San Quintin Baja Mexico
Style: freeride
Gear: Wainman kites Best Kahona kites and my boards

Postby laroyboards » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:46 pm

i have had only 3 days on the noise 12 m here is what i think first it turns slow to me it has a lot of power but only overhead and straight down wind so i would say it is not for a beginner and it is not a good up wind kite but it is a great jumper looks great and the quality is there but not the kite for me

procon
Rare Poster
Local Beach: madrid
Favorite Beaches: moulay
Style: waveriding
Gear: naish

Postby procon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:31 pm

Can anyone tell me what is the highend for a noise 8m (72kg surfboard)??
Thanks.

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:01 pm

I have a 10M. I think it's a great kite. It is clearly meant for the surf (Duh?!) .. but works fine Bayside for me. It pulls like a truck and goes big. I somewhat dispute the lack up upwind.. I didn't have a problem whatsoever. I'm 85kg and with the winds for a 10, I use a 128 UG FLX .. the little sucker will stick an edge .. the kite has plenty of power to use that edge.

The kite is cleanly built - certainly reasonable. I don't see any squawks for its intended uses. I would give them a little more color..

Jim

gavin feargrieve
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Stony Beach, Conrads Beach
Favorite Beaches: Varadero, Cuba
Style: Old School, Wave
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 2 15m, 19m - favorite kites
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer and Cabrihna

Postby gavin feargrieve » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:05 am

I have the 8m,10m, 12m.

For whatever reason the 12m needs work- very poor handling, slow turning and lack of depower. Everytime I use the 12m it reminds me of the early days with older kites getting yanked all over the place!

Now, the 8m and 10m are a different story. The handling is way better and turning speed is reasonable considering you're usually going to use a size down from other kites.

Best Qualities:

-They go upwind like crazy, which is great if you like wave riding with the smallest kite possible.
- Unhooked wave riding is sick (no trim adjustment required) and the kite drifts well
-Simple and clutter free everything. Some people may think this makes the bar look cheap, but if you're getting trashed in the waves then less is more, IMO.
- Pretty stable kite- no surprises.
- Great bar. Love the under bar swivel.

Poor Qualities:

- Lacks instant depower. Pushing the bar out achieves a more linear depower. But the kites do have good range with an adjustment of the trim strap. BTW, I've used the 8m strapless in 25/30 knots totally depowered and it was fine. I'm 80 kg.
- The general feel of the kite lacks the kind of precision I have in other kites, such as the 2012 Ocean Rodeo Razor.

Other:
- pretty specific wave kite- fantastic in side shore conditions.
- the kite loops without a lot of pull which depending upon the conditions (onshore vs sideshore) can be a pro or con.
-above the bar trim is better

Cheers

peterheirman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 2002

Postby peterheirman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Great for ocean waves due to drifting
Not very suited for quick slashing on 'fast' waves or waves tightly together (North Sea) as kite turns too slow.

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's

Postby mike dubs » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:58 pm

I disagree, I have the 8,6,5 and they turn plenty quick enough for the x on conditions I get in the English channel. They fly upwind which helps with on shore, have great range and the bar is brilliant. You have to initiate the bar hard and the kite turns quickly. It's designed that way to stop inadvertent turning and ditching the kite while getting rinsed. They fly farther forward in the window than my bandits which actually helps in stopping you flying away from a wave in an onshore bottom turn.

The 10 and 12 turn slower but then that's because they are equivalent to 12 and 14 and I find all kites larger than 10 start to be slower. My 8m BWS starts going in a solid 15mph on my surfboard and I've had my 5 out on 4 occasions in the last 5 weeks in gusts of upto 55mph one day.

Mike

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Postby prayfawind27 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:41 am

I sold my Epic kites and moved to a 6 and a 10m the kites are awesome I have the 2012 models, they are very stable, smooth and have allot of power, I go from 165-175lbs during a season, when I on my 10, everyone else is on 13,15. when I am riding my 6 everyone else is riding 9,11 Re launching is easy and I have never had any of them inverted. When you wipe out and being work in the white wash, it is so easy to still fly the kite the bar pressure to me is just perfect, In the surf it has a on and off switch and sits still whenever and wherever you want it to, the black color is awesome, it doesn't get dirty ;) ONE! down side the customer service sucks, good luck on ever getting a email response from Ben, even on his face book page the dude doesn't respond that right there killed it for me for the brand, I am waiting on the Surf kite from Epic, I am hoping they have some of the same qualities of the Noise, so I can switch back,Epic customer service is Top class!!

Return to “Reviews”