Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Naish Fly vs. Epic Infinity V2 (3, 4,?)

Forum for kitesurfers
KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.
Brand Affiliation: None

Naish Fly vs. Epic Infinity V2 (3, 4,?)

Postby KYLakeKiter » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:29 pm

I really liked the post comparing the Park 14m and the Fly. They both sound great, but since they are from the same manufacturer, it seems obvious that they are for different purposes.

I would like to hear about the battle of the light wind performers. The Fly and the Infinity both have great reviews and loyal users, and it looks like they cost about the same.

Has anyone flow both, and how do they compare?

kazama-fury
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Naish Fly vs. Epic Infinity V2 (3, 4,?)

Postby kazama-fury » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:31 pm

From what I've heard the Infinity V3 is able to fly in absolutely NO WIND!

Olivier D
Medium Poster
Gear: Epic Screamer 2010 9m
Slingshot Lunacy
Brand Affiliation: EPIC

Postby Olivier D » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:51 pm

:D You won't be able to ride the Infinity in no wind, just as any other kites

But the Infinity looks amazingly stable in practically no wind :o

McAbe
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Praia da Barra
Gear: Mixed

Postby McAbe » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:02 pm

Go for the fly!
My Infinity v1 is a terrible light wind kite if you don't want to ride straight down wind, its also useless for jumping when the wind picks up.
It got decent pop and wave abilities then you reach about 15knots, but you got better alternatives in those winds.
It is also badly balanced in the way that it steers heavily down towards the water, witch makes it hard and uncomfortable to steer with only one hand, so also not good for relaxing cruising.

The v2 is not that mush better (there is a couple of guys that for sure will say it is light years better than the v1, just as they said that the v1 was mush better than others when it came, but any thinking being must have realized that they are full off bull-crap by now), so my advice is to look for another big kite.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:13 pm

McAbe wrote:Go for the fly!
My Infinity v1 is a terrible light wind kite if you don't want to ride straight down wind, its also useless for jumping when the wind picks up.
It got decent pop and wave abilities then you reach about 15knots, but you got better alternatives in those winds.
It is also badly balanced in the way that it steers heavily down towards the water, witch makes it hard and uncomfortable to steer with only one hand, so also not good for relaxing cruising.

The v2 is not that mush better (there is a couple of guys that for sure will say it is light years better than the v1, just as they said that the v1 was mush better than others when it came, but any thinking being must have realized that they are full off bull-crap by now), so my advice is to look for another big kite.
Man, are you going to get slammed...

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:46 am

My very good friend who lives an hour from me up the Atlantic Florida coast.....
....can "almost weigh in" :lol: (he is 110kg/244lbs)....on this discussion

He has a Naish Fly....he says it is very good.. out at least 3 sessions in the surf ..has a nice pull
He says that for a 15 it looks big...and size may be rounded down ( true size 15.5?? / mystery)

But not to worry...size printed does not matter...LW kite sizes are simply an illusion and useless :D

In any case he never compared it to the V2 or V3 proto....but maybe soon...time will tell..tic toc tic toc

For all those who wonder about the identity of my friend....it is the one and only original B-DAY man

And wishes all of you on KF...... :happybirthday: :happybirthday: :happybirthday: :happybirthday:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:35 am

Had an Infinity for a very short while... V1. I think it turned quicker than the Fly and made good power in the turn, but did pull downwind a lot.

I'd go for the Naish (if it was only a choice between the 2) because a. I HATED the QR on the old Epic bar b. I'm not a fan of delta kites and c. the Fly was super-stable and stays in the air beautifully.

V2 or 3 Infinity may be a different kettle of fish though...

@ mccabe - Dimitri has said the same thing... Infinity is a LIGHT wind kite and is not designed to 20 knots.

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise

Postby Geronimo79 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:23 am

Nah i think most epic tread followers know by know who and what Mcabe is. Not really worth mentioning further.

The V1 was pulling you alot downwind but therefore gave a very descent wakestyle option.

The V2 was a great improvement upon that. Still very fast for a lightwindkite and an easy upwind but still gives many riders a good wakestyle posibilty aswell. The kite goes in very low-winds and its incredibly stable . Had a couple of friends riding it stable in 7 knots on a raceboard. Personally i'm a lot heavier and not as skilled so i will not get that kind of lowend out of the kite. But still it gives me a very nice lowend and it saves my summerdays.

The V3 isnt out yet but its another improvement upon the V2. Most people seen the videos in hardly any wind with a SUP. Its even more stable then the V2. I think it will be an amazing kite for lowwind. I dont think you can go wrong there.

The Fly will probably be a great kite aswell. Dont think you will go wrong with that one either. If you have the chance test em both.

The bladeQR epic uses is good. Specially since it was updated in 2011. The V3 will mostlikely get the new Epic QR thats being developed atm.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:21 am

Geronimo79 wrote:The bladeQR epic uses is good. Specially since it was updated in 2011. The V3 will mostlikely get the new Epic QR thats being developed atm.
No it's not, the Blade QR is utter shit - needed two hands to release if it was under load.

The new Epic one looks leaps'n'bounds better... but that wouldn't be hard.

blueozone
Rare Poster
Local Beach: None... Its too cold!
Favorite Beaches: Tung Wa Laen Beach, Thailand
Gear: Epic Renegade 3G 9M
Nobile 555
Nobile XTR

Postby blueozone » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:30 am

My wife who is 47 kg was learning this year in Hua Hin Thailand using an Epic Renegade with Epic bar and was able to release with one hand with no problems. As always I make sure my bar is clean before and after use.

Return to “Kitesurfing”