*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: New World record = 59.23 knots
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:49 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:18 pm
Posts: 313
Brent4336 wrote:
directionals can be jibed and ridden both tacks. That boat is a one trick pony.... the trick is still pretty impressive.



you still cant gybe an asymmetric kite speed board..

sail rocket is fully one directional, you cant flip the sail a bit and go the other way, if you could the pilot would be going backwards and the foil would be in reverse…


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: New World record = 59.23 knots
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:36 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:39 am
Posts: 544
edt wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but cavitation for foils starts at 50 knots, and what I think sailrocket has done is redesign their foils so once they reach a certain speed, the entire underside of the foil cavitates, so you have reduced drag when that happens, but below 52-53 knots this cavitating foil induces a lot of extra drag as the cavitating bubbles loop back into the foil. At least that's one theory. I'm not sure anyone knows exactly how their foils work, because they are not working via a modelling program (found it didnt work for their situation), they tune the foil and go out again over and over again. They've been doing this for ten years . . . . So they are doing something really advanced here, that nobody else in the world is doing, and all from a practical standpoint not really any theory. It might be years before we really understand why this particular foil lets them break through the foil barrier of 52-53 knots. I dont see hydroptere ever catching them, it's going to take an entire boat redesign for a megayatch foil to get up to sailrocket speeds.

Of course, kiteboards right now are not foiling, they are planing, so theoretically the only top speed for kiters is how much wind we we get in luderitz and the size of their balls.


If I am remembering right they are using some kind of triangular wedge shaped cavitating appendages. The hard part is getting over the drag hump into cavitation mode.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: New World record = 59.23 knots
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:05 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Posts: 2048
Location: Ford Lake, Michigan
james wrote:
Brent4336 wrote:
directionals can be jibed and ridden both tacks. That boat is a one trick pony.... the trick is still pretty impressive.



you still cant gybe an asymmetric kite speed board..

sail rocket is fully one directional, you cant flip the sail a bit and go the other way, if you could the pilot would be going backwards and the foil would be in reverse…


Right. It is like you are backing up a car, the pilot will have to look over his shoulder and the foils will be little anchors but still, it is riding the other way.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: New World record = 59.23 knots
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:55 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:18 pm
Posts: 313
for the hard of understanding.

SAIL ROCKET DOES NOT AND CANNOT SAIL BACKWARDS IT IS SOLELY DIRECTIONAL.

for fucks sake if they could don't you think they would just switch it all round and sail back up the course rather than getting a boat tow back to the start.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: New World record = 59.23 knots
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:00 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:57 pm
Posts: 378
Maybe the should try using an old c-quad.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: New World record = 59.23 knots
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:34 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:23 pm
Posts: 91
Sail Rockets achievement is absolutely incredeble, a massive journey with 10+ years of development and literally millions of dollars spent. Well done.
It definately only 'sails' in one direction and can't really be call a yacht, more of a wind powered contraption. A very fast contraption.
Interestingly the wssrc water depth rule requires a minimum water depth of half the beam of the craft. Sail Rocket is around 12m wide hence a depth of 6m is required to be record capable. Their speed strip is definately not that deep but I'm sure the wssrc will conveniently ignore their own rule as everyone knows they only made it to try and slow down the kiters.
interesting discussion here:
http://www.gps-kitesurfing.com/default. ... &val=10987


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: New World record = 59.23 knots
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:56 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:39 pm
Posts: 2788
slingslut wrote:
Sail Rockets achievement is absolutely incredeble, a massive journey with 10+ years of development and literally millions of dollars spent. Well done.
It definately only 'sails' in one direction and can't really be call a yacht, more of a wind powered contraption. A very fast contraption.
Interestingly the wssrc water depth rule requires a minimum water depth of half the beam of the craft. Sail Rocket is around 12m wide hence a depth of 6m is required to be record capable. Their speed strip is definately not that deep but I'm sure the wssrc will conveniently ignore their own rule as everyone knows they only made it to try and slow down the kiters.
interesting discussion here:
http://www.gps-kitesurfing.com/default. ... &val=10987


Surely someone can successfully challenge such a record?

Hydroptere sets records in deeper water, so its only fair that Sailrocket sets records in depths that meet the rules too.
There must be places where they could find the required depth and flat enough water so why go somewhere where you know you are not complying with the rules?
Unless they had already asked the question.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: New World record = 59.23 knots
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:05 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:47 pm
Posts: 2334
ronnie wrote:

Surely someone can successfully challenge such a record?


Two records were set at once....

Efficiency (using 25kn of wind power)
Maximum speed for water vehicle under sail

There lies the true challenge ....to try to beat both records

Windsurfers and Kitesurfers are utilizing nearly double that wind speed...to set their records
That is a lot of wind power.....nearly 4 times more

............... :strong: :boxing: :duel: :boxer2: :giveup: :goodluck: :prayer: :runaway: .......................


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: New World record = 59.23 knots
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:16 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:10 am
Posts: 994
Location: Nassau,Bahamas
I don't think I kiter is going to beat that, is it even humanly/safely possible to kite past that?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: New World record = 59.23 knots
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:57 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:08 pm
Posts: 400
Location: Venice, Florida
prayfawind27 wrote:
I don't think I kiter is going to beat that, is it even humanly/safely possible to kite past that?


Safely? Have you seen what happens when they wipe out trying to set speed kiting runs? :lol:

I'm sure some moro... umm "enterprising individual" will find a way to go faster.

Soon you'll be hearing conversations like this:

"I can kite at 78 knots."

Seriously?! Uhhh, what happens if you wipe out? :o

"Meh, instant death."

Cool! :thumb:


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Air_Pharaoh, Bing [Bot], MSNbot Media, Phil, spacemonkey and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group