mocolombo
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Naish global fins set up

Postby mocolombo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:58 pm

Hi,

The naish global surfboard comes with 4 fins, 2 small and 2 big. The board has 5 rooms to setup the board quad or truster.

My doubt is: how to setup it for tri fins? Which rooms to use and which fins to use... Any help?

:thumb:

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Re: Naish global fins set up

Postby Dirk » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:33 pm

Just bought a 2012 Global 5.5 recently. I am not quite sure but the fins looked quite similar in size. It was already set up as quad as I bought it used. However the fins in the back have a symetric foil (the front ones do not) and one of it goes into the middle slot for the thruster set up. For quad set up big ones in front. For thruster set up also use the forward slots on the side.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:54 pm

what Dirk said. :-)

The front fins I think are very close to M5's so if you want an equal set, just get a FCS M5 back fin with a double foil.
A little caution..the fins that naish provides are high quality honeycoumb hard fins..if you buy the cheapest those are often plastic, and on the global if you really crank the turns you might break the plastic ones...thought the side fins are much more exposed, I'd still say get a higher quality fin.

If you ride the board strapless then not as needed. the softer fins does change the feel of the board...and loosens it up a little. :-)

mocolombo
Frequent Poster

Postby mocolombo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:04 pm

I have always ridden it quad, with the bigger fins on the back.

So, for thruster, do i have just to move one of the back (smaller one) to the center room, or do i have to put the bigger on the center and put the smaller fins on the front?

Thanks

PS: i always ride strapped, as i also like to do big airs.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:30 pm

I never tried the bigger fins in the back in the quad set up on my 5.7 Global. Always big ones in front which i guess is the factory set up so to say. But I believe you can tune board further by this.
I am not a very experienced surfer but on thruster set ups all fins have the same size usually.
Now for the Global I would have a look at the fins first of all. On my 2012 Global two fins have an asymetrical foil and two are symetrically shaped. You want the symetrical one in the middle slot. It might be the smaller one. If that is ideal, I do not know.

mocolombo
Frequent Poster

Postby mocolombo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:46 pm

Sorry, big fins in the front for sure!

I am sure i have 2 sizes of fins. But i will take a look on them to check the simmetrical and assimentrical shapes...

Thanks

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:44 am

How about trying it in super nuking wind with a 5 fin setup. Get a hatchett or a smaller and all out :)

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dirk » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:11 pm

Thought the same when I looked at the FCS website. They offer something like this. I once saw this in a Kelly Slater video. Have you ever tried it? What does it do?

Return to “Kitesurfing”