knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck
Brand Affiliation: None

Learning to ride Sector V2

Postby knot_moving » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:50 am

I've been out 3 times on the sector and now can very consistently get up and ride it one direction. I've managed a couple times to turn it up into the wind when trying to tack and get it in about the right spot for a tack - can't manage the footwork at all yet.

I've never been on a directional before & wonder if I'm tackling too much.

Would I progress faster if I take the straps off & use a couple surfboard fins instead of the quad long fins?

Or should I just keep working on the tacking and gybing? start with tacking or start with gybing?

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Learning to ride Sector V2

Postby OzBungy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:16 am

Gybing is way easier than tacking. Take you back foot out of the strap and place it wherever it needs to go. On the rail for carving or toeside and in the middle in front of the back strap for riding along and downwind.

The V2 is almost exactly like riding and normal surfboard. If you can ride a surfboard you can ride the V2. Can you ride a surfboard? Are you rock solid on toeside? There's not much point riding a directional unless you are very comfortable riding toeside. You need to be toeside (at least momentarily) to swap feet in a transition.

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:26 am

Someone posted this a while back; if it helps you any:

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:47 am

Gybing is definitely the way to start. Basically for now you have 2 options. Switch your feet before you turn or after you complete your turn. This will require you to ride toe side for a bit for both options.
On the Sector, I would leave the straps on. Start by going a moderate speed off the wind slightly. Place your back foot in front of the rear strap.I like to keep the kite high 10-11(I think the video says lower)gives you a bit of lift. What I do at this point is head the board upwind a bit to load the kite so you can lean against it. Then put your rear foot in the front strap and your front foot back in front of the foot strap. Now you are riding toe side. Then , just turn the kite and board and your going the other way. If you choose to switch your feet after the turn, try to once again load the kite so you can lean against it and then switch your feet.
There are lots of little tricks that you will hear about on the forum,so try them out. What size Sector are you riding? I ride the 52,had the 60 but I like jumping the smaller one. Practicing your foot work on land is also a good idea. Good luck.

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knot_moving » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:28 am

Thats why I love this forum!
Thanks for the great info - sounds like I need to start with toeside :)
- I have the 60 & am itching to get competent enough to start racing it around here.

Kober1974
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Hook NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kober1974 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:44 am

Good video .... and all above advice ....

any other tips on riding Sector ???

After riding it ~20 times I think controlling speed is my issue ... specially when overpowered ..... It is so much different then TT ....

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby borist » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:44 pm

Kober1974 wrote:After riding it ~20 times I think controlling speed is my issue ... specially when overpowered ..... It is so much different then TT ....
First-of-all, if you are not doing it already, learn to ride with a size or two smaller kite than you would with TT. Lower water resistance and higher top speed of Sector, means that you do not need as much horsepower and once underway you are generating plenty apparent wind to keep going faster and faster. A board like Sector can not bleed the power thru edging, so you better controlling the speed via depower (smaller kite again), and some push upwind if necessary, or turning downwind. Otherwise, just go with it. With some practice you'll be surprised how much speed you can handle. It is more phycological than the technique. If you get scared too much, you'll crash, if not, you'll be fine. The board is plenty stable. When choppy it will skip on the crests of the waves.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:23 pm

when gybing from weak side to strong side, gybe board around to toe side then switch feet. from strong side to weak side, change feet first to toe side and then gybe around.

on surfboard taking straps off helps.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:44 pm

also, the Sector type boards are not made for back and forth riding, they will get out of control much more easily in this mode

they are designed to go upwind/downwind so point higher or deeper to keep it in control

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knot_moving » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:42 am

Thanks for the video Travis! It really helps. Needless to say its been a slow go learning to ride the board I bought from you guys!
Mostly just because I'm so damn busy I am not finding enough time on the water. However I have managed to go scary fast on it a couple times :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”