Forum for kitesurfers
Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Naish Fly vs. Epic Infinity V2 (3, 4,?)

Postby Geronimo79 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:49 pm

@ kamikuza

I can only talk for the QRs i had myself. I had zero troubles with 2010 and 2011/2012 also no troubles what so ever. Ah friend of mine had issues with his 2010 and those got replaced by 2011 improved QR and no problems anymore.

I tested it with sand and stuff made it a little heavier but still no problem with one hand.

It does sound a little that your mini 5th had to much tention this can lead to heavy releaseforce. But i'm no expert there. I look forward to the epic CL, i have a testversion at home and it definitly looks and works better. Dimitri is still working on the latest version of that CL because he wasnt 100% happy yet. But so far its a very nice CL.

But i think this is more about the kites.

Both kites are good. If you can test them.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Tiago1973 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:14 pm

The epic/blade QR is indeed a bad design

It is function of the tolerances between 2 (very small) plastic parts.

No part is able to be manufactured againts a precise nominal so it is to be expected to have different release forces by matching different U black parts againts different red parts [as those will have all different dimensions].

Also from batch to batch and due to mold wear the black bumps within the U black part will tend to increase, while the holes in the red piece will tend to decrease - this adds another source of variation.

Once one keep using the QR the plastic parts will be subject to wear, thus the toleracing will be different over time. More variation.

The end result - out of the 3 bars I got: 2 x was not able to release while being dragged underwater, several times the QR "automatically released", 2 x broke the black U-shape.

Within this forum I´ve saw different persons saying the same thing "it does not work under load" and there is also a German magazine that reviewed different bars and identified the very same problem [and as far as I know 2011 QRs design apply the same principles as 2010s one].

It is about the kites but I would suggest not to trust much in this design

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:34 pm

I like the Infinity and have found no issues with the bar whatsoever. Can't comment on the fly as I've no experience

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:37 pm

Tiago1973 wrote:The epic/blade QR is indeed a bad design

No part is able to be manufactured againts a precise nominal so it is to be expected to have different release forces by matching different U black parts againts different red parts [as those will have all different dimensions].

Also from batch to batch and due to mold wear the black bumps within the U black part will tend to increase, while the holes in the red piece will tend to decrease - this adds another source of variation.

Once one keep using the QR the plastic parts will be subject to wear, thus the toleracing will be different over time. More variation.

The end result - out of the 3 bars I got: 2 x was not able to release while being dragged underwater, several times the QR "automatically released", 2 x broke the black U-shape.

Within this forum I´ve saw different persons saying the same thing "it does not work under load" and there is also a German magazine that reviewed different bars and identified the very same problem [and as far as I know 2011 QRs design apply the same principles as 2010s one].

It is about the kites but I would suggest not to trust much in this design
I bet my last euro what you quote about QR is fact,TONY

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

R

Postby KYLakeKiter » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:12 am

Great responses. Sounds to me like everyone who has one loves their Fly and it seems to me like people feel it is a little more versitile with higher top end as well as light wind capability.

From the posts on this thread, it seems like the V1 wasn't very popular, but the V2 and hopefully the V3 might be fixing those issues. Either way, I like the Epic videos.

I am curious about durability as well. No comments on the Fly giving anyone any trouble, and the Epics must be tough since we have seen them run over by a Jeep :lol: Too bad it didnt survive the chainsaw attack :naughty:

The QR issue with the old Epic/Blade bar is good to note and it sounds like that might have been fixed too. For me, I won't pick the kite based on the bar anyway. I will just get a bar with a setup I like. I am currently using a Best Bar that I really like (flying wise), but I don't really like the QR on it either. The cloth loop and velcro make it hard to get a hold of and then it usually takes more than one pull to get it loose. I am actually trying to figure out a way to put one of my Slingshot chicken loops on that bar because that QR is really easy to use. (sorry, drifted way off this posts topic)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:34 am

Geronimo79 wrote:@ kamikuza

I can only talk for the QRs i had myself.
That's very true and a good point. What I was thinking though was...
Tiago1973 wrote:The epic/blade QR is indeed a bad design

Unloaded, it released ok with one hand (still needed a good grip and pull) but when I actually needed it to release, I had to use two hands.

I dislike friction-locking QRs like the Blade, LF; suspicious of pin-based ones like Ozone and the old Flysurfers, and very pro 'mechanical' releases like Cabrinha, North, Switch etc. The simpler the better!

The new Epic QR (still looks like the Best one to me ;) ) looks promising and I wonder how it'll last with repeated use...

But this is a thread about kites :lol:

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:45 am

Last edited by L0KI on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:02 pm

Oldnbroken wrote: Don't know about the Fly and will never ever comment on Naish kites.
Words of wisdom :wink:

Tell us if you own a V1 or V2 at this time
What is your personal low end of wind to have fun on either kite?
What board do you use ? Do you have the Oxygen TT 135x47?
Please weight and height for the KF audience

........Happy Thanksgiving.............................................................................................................

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:12 pm

SupaEZ wrote: What is your personal low end of wind to have fun on either kite?
do u guys really track this kind´stuff?

just because i have no ideia about my low end, number wise

it´s just: if it is good for the 17m+skim then it is good for the 17m+skim

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:00 pm

For entertainment here, I have to ask... what is the deal with not commenting on Naish kites. Is it a "Naish hater" thing, or does Naish have a goon squad that tracks you down and beats you up if you make negative comments on KF? :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”