New World record = 59.23 knots

Forum for kitesurfers
james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Re: New World record = 59.23 knots

Postby james » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:49 am

Brent4336 wrote:directionals can be jibed and ridden both tacks. That boat is a one trick pony.... the trick is still pretty impressive.

you still cant gybe an asymmetric kite speed board..

sail rocket is fully one directional, you cant flip the sail a bit and go the other way, if you could the pilot would be going backwards and the foil would be in reverse…

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby gbleck » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:36 pm

edt wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but cavitation for foils starts at 50 knots, and what I think sailrocket has done is redesign their foils so once they reach a certain speed, the entire underside of the foil cavitates, so you have reduced drag when that happens, but below 52-53 knots this cavitating foil induces a lot of extra drag as the cavitating bubbles loop back into the foil. At least that's one theory. I'm not sure anyone knows exactly how their foils work, because they are not working via a modelling program (found it didnt work for their situation), they tune the foil and go out again over and over again. They've been doing this for ten years . . . . So they are doing something really advanced here, that nobody else in the world is doing, and all from a practical standpoint not really any theory. It might be years before we really understand why this particular foil lets them break through the foil barrier of 52-53 knots. I dont see hydroptere ever catching them, it's going to take an entire boat redesign for a megayatch foil to get up to sailrocket speeds.

Of course, kiteboards right now are not foiling, they are planing, so theoretically the only top speed for kiters is how much wind we we get in luderitz and the size of their balls.
If I am remembering right they are using some kind of triangular wedge shaped cavitating appendages. The hard part is getting over the drag hump into cavitation mode.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:05 pm

james wrote:
Brent4336 wrote:directionals can be jibed and ridden both tacks. That boat is a one trick pony.... the trick is still pretty impressive.

you still cant gybe an asymmetric kite speed board..

sail rocket is fully one directional, you cant flip the sail a bit and go the other way, if you could the pilot would be going backwards and the foil would be in reverse…
Right. It is like you are backing up a car, the pilot will have to look over his shoulder and the foils will be little anchors but still, it is riding the other way.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:55 pm

for the hard of understanding.

SAIL ROCKET DOES NOT AND CANNOT SAIL BACKWARDS IT IS SOLELY DIRECTIONAL.

for fucks sake if they could don't you think they would just switch it all round and sail back up the course rather than getting a boat tow back to the start.

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby fdvj » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:00 pm

Maybe the should try using an old c-quad.

slingslut
Medium Poster

Postby slingslut » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:34 pm

Sail Rockets achievement is absolutely incredeble, a massive journey with 10+ years of development and literally millions of dollars spent. Well done.
It definately only 'sails' in one direction and can't really be call a yacht, more of a wind powered contraption. A very fast contraption.
Interestingly the wssrc water depth rule requires a minimum water depth of half the beam of the craft. Sail Rocket is around 12m wide hence a depth of 6m is required to be record capable. Their speed strip is definately not that deep but I'm sure the wssrc will conveniently ignore their own rule as everyone knows they only made it to try and slow down the kiters.
interesting discussion here:
http://www.gps-kitesurfing.com/default. ... &val=10987

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:56 pm

slingslut wrote:Sail Rockets achievement is absolutely incredeble, a massive journey with 10+ years of development and literally millions of dollars spent. Well done.
It definately only 'sails' in one direction and can't really be call a yacht, more of a wind powered contraption. A very fast contraption.
Interestingly the wssrc water depth rule requires a minimum water depth of half the beam of the craft. Sail Rocket is around 12m wide hence a depth of 6m is required to be record capable. Their speed strip is definately not that deep but I'm sure the wssrc will conveniently ignore their own rule as everyone knows they only made it to try and slow down the kiters.
interesting discussion here:
http://www.gps-kitesurfing.com/default. ... &val=10987
Surely someone can successfully challenge such a record?

Hydroptere sets records in deeper water, so its only fair that Sailrocket sets records in depths that meet the rules too.
There must be places where they could find the required depth and flat enough water so why go somewhere where you know you are not complying with the rules?
Unless they had already asked the question.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:05 am

ronnie wrote:
Surely someone can successfully challenge such a record?
Two records were set at once....

Efficiency (using 25kn of wind power)
Maximum speed for water vehicle under sail

There lies the true challenge ....to try to beat both records

Windsurfers and Kitesurfers are utilizing nearly double that wind speed...to set their records
That is a lot of wind power.....nearly 4 times more

............... :strong: :boxing: :duel: :boxer2: :giveup: :goodluck: :prayer: :runaway: .......................

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Postby prayfawind27 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:16 am

I don't think I kiter is going to beat that, is it even humanly/safely possible to kite past that?

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:57 am

prayfawind27 wrote:I don't think I kiter is going to beat that, is it even humanly/safely possible to kite past that?
Safely? Have you seen what happens when they wipe out trying to set speed kiting runs? :lol:

I'm sure some moro... umm "enterprising individual" will find a way to go faster.

Soon you'll be hearing conversations like this:

"I can kite at 78 knots."

Seriously?! Uhhh, what happens if you wipe out? :o

"Meh, instant death."

Cool! :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”