Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Re: QRs, the good, the bad, and the ugly

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:51 am

tautologies wrote:
SupaEZ wrote: Personally i have a Core Sensor bar with a "twisty" clockwise or counterclockwise QR..for my 19
How does that work? Do you have to twist in a specific direction for it to release?
You just twist to the right or to the left the QR...about an inch will do...and it releases very well

I also think push away QR feel more natural...but with a bit of practice the Core system is great

.......It's all good....no bad...no ugly :wink: ..................... :surf: :sun: ................................................

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: QRs, the good, the bad, and the ugly

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:51 am

The bad. (that I've used)

2008 cabrina you'd lose the chicken loop. and unless you rigged your leash to the front line(meaning you couldn't spin the bar) it wouldn't flag out, it would just go suicide, meaning you'd still get your ass handed to you if hit by a heavy gust

2007 LF side pull release, that jammed with sand VERY easily also same shit as the cabrinha suicide release only.....100% depower that can still drag my 180 lb ass down the beach.

2006-2007 North iron heart --- pretty heavy to release when under load you can do it but you have to try once or twice......some times you don't have time for twice.

2007 Naish heavy underload and ghetto as all hell. some metal pin stuck in a piece of vacuum hose connected with velcro....SERIOUSLY!?

bad I haven't used.
20?? cabrinha IDS, I've seen more than 2 cabrinhas fly off into the sunset from an IDS line breaking when someone pulls the safety. Also seen a few of them jam in some screwed up ways (when they otherwise should not jam) pulling people way harder than any kite every should with the safety pulled. Never tried these myself, seen enough screwed up stuff that I never will.

The good, (that I've tried)
North trust, (2010 onward) works in dirt sand and under load., you can rig it so it works suicide when unhooked but will still flag out if you pull the release when hooked in.

Switch - It's a shameless and well executed copy of the north trust

Looking at most of the stuff 2010-2011+ it's way less sketchy than before

Some european (french I think) standard came into place where the quick releases had to release (while loaded) with a certain amount of force and withstand some sand contamination. Forced a lot of companies to reassess their utter crap designs. inflated the bar prices a bit I'm sure but ultimately got some ghetto shit off the market. so I applaud the gov that had the forsight for this, cuz the way it was going it was either gunna be regulation or MASSIVE lawsuit that woke the industry up.

Return to “Kitesurfing”