Recommendation on cold weather kiteboarding gloves

Forum for kitesurfers
pebbles
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Recommendation on cold weather kiteboarding gloves

Postby pebbles » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:43 am

I like the Stearns cold water gloves. I tried a few different kinds but either had fatigue or the wind went right through the seams. I use them for cycling, snowboarding and kayaking in cold weather. Only like $20, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Neoprene- ... B0019BT4UG

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:47 am

What ever gloves you get choose one's that are already curled into a bit of a clasp position. IF not your hands will get tiered if they have to bend the gloves in order to grip the bar.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:34 am

Windsurfers have to have good gloves because they use more force through their arms.

They seem to prefer the open palmed mitt, usually without the tips of the fingers in the ends of the mitt if its not very cold.
http://www.ion-essentials.com/public/co ... ittens_25/

http://www.neilpryde.com/accessories/ha ... dwear.html

Those were the two that seem to get recommended the most.
http://forums.boards.mpora.com/showthre ... law-gloves

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:46 pm

fokiten wrote:Regards,

If you need gloves, might as well be warm...go with the thickish Neoprene dudes....

Here's the trick though, ya gota cut-um...That's right brand new and unblemished may they be,,, they also be shite for Danglers less-en you cut um...

Cut the palms totally out....this does two things, well? three---summer type feel on the bar, total coverage for what's in the wind (digits) and a great way to take your fingers out for fiddly stuff without the need to stow them...

They remain on your delicate wrists ...

Buy the good ones---then cut-um....don't want too?

fine with me, freeze or fatigue your current options...

Some things just do not change

Cheers
fo
Welcome back FO....not a bad idea....but i got one also...revolutionary for kite industry !!

Have kite companies produce "winter / cold weather control bars+lines"

When buying those special bars... :cash: :cash: :cash: :cash:
....they would include "complimentary" 5mm Supa warm titanium pre-curved glove-mitt

Those special bars would be thinner grip diameter by a total of 10mm at 15.4mm / 0.60 inches

This way the palms stay dry & warmer...no forearm fatigue...similar grip hold..just like summertime

................... :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :surf: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: .........

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:35 pm

the precurve only helps a bit, the problem is the thickness of the glove makes your grip tire out instantly. think about this, if the precurve really helped you grip the bar, you could put a glove without a hand in it, just the plain glove, on a bar, and it could tug the bar enough to turn the kite. Precurve gives you maybe an ounce of pressure, and we are gripping these bars with somewhere between 5 to 20 pounds. The dakine is the right style. It's a glove with no insulation on the palm, just a thin waterproof cover, and neoprene on the back and sides, if only they made this glove in 6mm instead of 2mm. I've tried ocean fire titanium coldfire rodeo, 5mm dive gloves, nrs 4mm titanium naturals, and the dakine mitts are the only gloves let me kite more than an hour in 35F / 2C, but of course, they need to come in a thicker version. I know how to sew, mite make my own version of the dakine, get a needle thread, 6mm dive mitts, cut the palm open and sew back some pleather, seal it with 3m5200.

sinferno
Been thanked: 0

Postby sinferno » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:56 pm

Had a surfer recommend to me yesterday that I use a merino wool glove insert inside my thinner gloves to keep warm. Says he also wears merino wool base layer under his wetsuit and stays warm.

Anyone try a merino insert for their gloves or mitts?
Anyone try a merino base layer under a wetsuit?

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:35 am

edt wrote:the precurve only helps a bit, the problem is the thickness of the glove makes your grip tire out instantly. think about this, if the precurve really helped you grip the bar, you could put a glove without a hand in it, just the plain glove, on a bar, and it could tug the bar enough to turn the kite. Precurve gives you maybe an ounce of pressure, and we are gripping these bars with somewhere between 5 to 20 pounds....
I don't think that's the point of the pre-curve (to provide grip). The idea is, since the glove is already bent you don't have to stretch the material on the top of your hand (cut off circulation) and bunch the material on the inside of your hand (additional padding creating more fatique) when you bend your hand on a non curved glove.

That's my view on it anyway.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:40 am

Has anyone tried the Patagonia R3 or R4 Wool lined gloves?

I can't find any reviews on them. The suits have gotten good reviews, and the gloves seem to offer similar construction and warmth. However, I'm not sure if you'll get that arm fatique from wearing them. And they don't look like they have windskin on the outside to help block that bitter winter wind that sucks all the warmth out of your finger tips!

I have my eye on a pair and am just waiting on some reviews!

I do own the XCEL lobster mitts which work very well in super cold weather. I don't like the mitten feel though, so if I could find a pair of gloves that do the trick, I'll go that route.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:54 am

I'm with Fo on this one. The part of the hand that gets really cold is the finger up to the first & second knuckle, both because it's the most exposed to the wind chill, & because grasping the bar inhibits the circulation to the end of the finger. Take thicker neoprene gloves & cut the palms out & as much of (bottom of) the finger as still allows the glove to stay on. I have found this to be warmer than a mitt, because the neoprene still surrounds the ends of you finger, whereas the mitt allows a lot of water to circulate around your fingers - not quite the same thing as the way a ski mitt allows the fingers to "warm each other".

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Don Monnot » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:23 pm

I've got some NP full mitts that I like a lot. They have a different fabric for the palms that give you good feel for the bar without being completely open to the water if you're swimming. Not as warm as the mitts I have with a neoprene palm, but better bar feel. Warm enough if you don't spend a ton of time in the water. I ride in some pretty cold conditions (air only a little below freezing with a little ice along shore), and they work well for me. The bad news is that I checked Pryde's website, and they don't seem to list them anymore. Just a 3-finger mitt. Probably still warmer than a glove. A radical precurve helps a lot, too.

Don

Return to “Kitesurfing”