Rare Poster
Style: freeride
Gear: 2011 Naish Park
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Homemade Electric Kite Pump

Postby bmkiteboard » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:55 pm

I decided that it was not worth spending $300 on a pump so i built my own. I already had the high volume stage which i used to use for my dinghy, and i bought the high pressure stage for $25 (Thanks to info from Spork), and i got the battery for $20. It is essentially the same pump as the Bravo BST 12. works like a charm, pumped my 9m in 2 mins and my 14m in 3.5 mins. the pump can go to 20 psi but i'll never need that much anyways. fun project to build and i saved myself around $200 and i'll never have to pump my kite up again. the two caps in the back allow me to charge the battery with alligator clips without opening the box.
Attachments
DSC_0294.JPG
DSC_0297.JPG
DSC_0296.JPG

saltire
Medium Poster

Re: Homemade Electric Kite Pump

Postby saltire » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:18 am

Nice work ,how about a list of parts .
At my age its one thing i hate but i do have a hand held low pressure high volume pump which will inflate my 15mtr but i still have to use the pump to give it the correct pressure .

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:23 am

I put mine in a cooler for beer cans, so it can sit in a puddle of water on the beach, without damaging the parts. I just used on old Coleman pump, whose battery went bad, and hooked in a battery like yours. It is not a 2 stage pump like yours. Yours is better.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:23 am

Nicely done! I did the same thing with an extra high pressure stage and low pressure stage I had. Thanks for posting. How did you handle the valve when it switches from low to high pressure?

bmkiteboard
Rare Poster

Postby bmkiteboard » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:32 am

@tomatkins
Yeah I plan on sealing the box with resin or varnish to make the whole thing waterproof

@spork
the pressure gauge has a backflow valve on it, i set it up so the high volume stage blows the air through the backflow flap and into the kite, and i connected the high pressure stage in front of the flap so the air only goes to the kite, but the gauge can still read the pressure. i had a couple of bigger and less efficient setups before i finally made this design. I was thinking of rigging my own computer chip to switch pumps when it detected certain pressures but after seeing you over rode the Bravo pump with a toggle switch i just went with the simple rocker switch.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:11 am

Very cool. Do you have a part number and source for the pressure gauge with valve?

I definitely prefer the manual approach (pressure gauge and switch). These pumps are great, but the electronics were not terribly robust. I've converted a whole bunch of them by gutting the electronics and replacing with a simple switch.

halman
Rare Poster
Local Beach: south carolina
Gear: cabrinha

Postby halman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:50 pm

Really cool. Hope that's not a scratch on that nice table in pic #2. The wife/s.o. may be pissed.

bmkiteboard
Rare Poster

Postby bmkiteboard » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:25 pm

spork wrote:Very cool. Do you have a part number and source for the pressure gauge with valve?

I definitely prefer the manual approach (pressure gauge and switch). These pumps are great, but the electronics were not terribly robust. I've converted a whole bunch of them by gutting the electronics and replacing with a simple switch.
well i just took the pressure gauge off of my naish kite pump. it looks exactly like this:
http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc ... re_Code=MS

I had to do some taping and gluing because the tube diameters are different than the pvc i was using, but i managed to get it airtight.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:05 pm

bmkiteboard wrote: well i just took the pressure gauge off of my naish kite pump. it looks exactly like this:
http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc ... re_Code=MS

I had to do some taping and gluing because the tube diameters are different than the pvc i was using, but i managed to get it airtight.
Perfect! I've been looking for a better solution for my homemade pump. I think that's it.

mogthedog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tenby
Favorite Beaches: fresh west
Style: waves
Gear: north rhino 2009 12M, 9M & 7.
D'light 5'10 x 18 1/4 custom surfboard and 5'10 2007 North Rocket fish and Large North Jaime pro 2007 and 2010 North raceboard

Postby mogthedog » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:56 am

Save yourself a lot of hassel and buy a coleman rechargable pump from amazon for less than £30, I got one for my 18M, coz thats a bitch, works a treat. highly recommended

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001P80GJ6/r ... wo=&hvqmt=

Return to “Kitesurfing”