Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Epic Kites 3rd Generation. 3G II

Forum for kitesurfers
Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Re: Epic Kites 3rd Generation. 3G II

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:09 pm

I found this vid of Dimitri on MTV2. Anyone saw this????
Its super funny.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that was a good one.
Well I guess size matters......
Attachments
Father and Son holding boards.jpg

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Flight Time » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:05 am

Dimitri M wrote:This video is about the INFINITY v2 & v3 prototype being tested by laddies (Yes laddies).
You just said the video was about the kites being tested by young boys. It's ladies! :D

BTW, way to go Cameron!
Last edited by Flight Time on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ym
Medium Poster
Style: Wake

Postby ym » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:06 am

:lol: Hahaha, that's funny!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:53 am

Dimitri M wrote:
I found this vid of Dimitri on MTV2. Anyone saw this????
Its super funny.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that was a good one.
Well I guess size matters......
You keep saying that width is more important than length..

costascordalis
Rare Poster

Postby costascordalis » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:54 pm

Hi im new to this forum so "Hello all" at first ;) I tried to contact epic kites on FB and via email but i didn't get a reply (yet?) ;) So i thought i will ask here:

Iam thinking about getting a Renegade as my first kite ! Iam totally hooked to kiting since i did my lessons ! I really like your kites and philosophy and reviews! Iam about 94 Kg, what size would be the right one ? As a student i cannot afford buying 2 or 3 kites at the same time so i need to start with one kite ;) Iam riding in germany at the north sea and also on greek islands in the summer ;) I can go upwind to transitions and smaller jumps already. Until now i rode the RPMs of a friend occasionally.

Also, another question : is it not saver for a beginner/intermediat to put the leash directly into the killswitch ? in your videos you say to always use the suicide mode. I was told that this is only for expert riders. Since i don't unhook can i also use the "normal" way ? would i still need to push away the stopper then before ejecting ?

Thanks in advance! Greetings

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:18 pm

Renegade 11M would be a good place to start, if your winds are lighter, the Renegade 13M might be a good choice at your weight.
At 80KG the Renegade 11M is the most used size for me.
Don't use the stopper, no need for one..just push it all the way out and leave it there.
Hook your leash to the ring and don't bother threading the ring onto the chicken loop, then your safety is the regular way, better for beginner.
Dimitri is very good with returning e-mails.
He is in Florida for the United States Thanksgiving Holiday today and may not be looking at his computer.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:19 pm

Hello Mr.costascordalis,
Sorry for the delay but was traveling all day yesterday on my way to Florida for the demos I will be doing. I did receive your email late last night and did respond to it this morning. This is the email I sent you few minutes ago. I hope it answers your questions. Plus it will be nice to have other kiters responding to your question. This is the reason why we have this KITEFORUM.
"Gia sou Constantin and thank you for your interest in the EPIC kites.
I think the best kite for your weight will be the RENEGADE 13. Then you can use it from 12 to 20 knots but no more. As a beginner you don't want to go in higher winds then 20 knots. Then once you get good your next kite should be the RENEGADE 9.
So I would recommend to go with the RENEGADE 13. Now if you are going to kite in a place where it blows 17 to 25 then go with the RENEGADE 11. But if you are going to kite in a place where it is blowing 12 to 18 - 20 knots go with the RENEGADE 13.
Let me know if you need anything else."

costascordalis
Rare Poster

Postby costascordalis » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:52 pm

Dimitri M wrote:Hello Mr.costascordalis,
Sorry for the delay but was traveling all day yesterday on my way to Florida for the demos I will be doing. I did receive your email late last night and did respond to it this morning. This is the email I sent you few minutes ago. I hope it answers your questions. Plus it will be nice to have other kiters responding to your question. This is the reason why we have this KITEFORUM.
"Gia sou Constantin and thank you for your interest in the EPIC kites.
I think the best kite for your weight will be the RENEGADE 13. Then you can use it from 12 to 20 knots but no more. As a beginner you don't want to go in higher winds then 20 knots. Then once you get good your next kite should be the RENEGADE 9.
So I would recommend to go with the RENEGADE 13. Now if you are going to kite in a place where it blows 17 to 25 then go with the RENEGADE 11. But if you are going to kite in a place where it is blowing 12 to 18 - 20 knots go with the RENEGADE 13.
Let me know if you need anything else."
Just saw it ! Sorry for stressing out so much :D ! Thank you for your replies !!! Greetings

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:47 am

Had a great EPIC demo today in Naples FL on 18th street. The only problem it was blowing 11 to 15 mph which is too much for the INFINITIY V3 but few people showed up to demo the kites. Since it was a late day and started at 2 pm, I decided to pump only the INFINITY v3 prototype oping for the wind to die down and had 5 people demoing it. One of them was 285 lbs and loved it. The other guys had to depower the INFINITY v3 prototype because they were less then 180 lbs and were getting over powered but loved it. Made a video from today's demo.

P.S. I would like to thank the Cabrinha guys Enrique and his family for all the help doing the demos on their beach. Let's hope for stronger winds tomorrow.
Last edited by Dimitri M on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:17 pm

Hello guys,
Just wanted to let you know we had again a great turn out yesterday for the 2nd day of the EPIC demos in NAPLES "Florida" USA. The wind never picked up like the day before but started from 2 to 3 knots and went up to 12 knots max at the end of the day. The CABRINHA guys (Enrique and his family + Damien) were doing their demos as well, so we had a great turn out with lots of people on the beach testing the light wind kites and boards. These guys are great and if you are looking for lessons, purchases or rentals make sure to get in touch with them.
Any way this is a post I retrieve from the "INFINITY V2 light wind kite" topic that some one wrote about that day.
Finally got a chance to demo the V3 today in Naples, Florida.
Now the long-awaited review. I tested it against an 18 Cab XB in about 8-12 knots. When I got there it was blowing maybe 6 knots and Dimitri had his V3 in the air already.
When the wind picked up a little, I was itching to give them a shot.
First, I flew the Infinity on my Cab Rival 145/45, and I was surprised that I was able to actually stay upwind. The Infinity feels like a smaller kite in that when you pull on one side of the bar, things happen. The kite is pretty nimble for a bigger kite. If you want my guess-timate on the size, I will say it looks around 17ish. It feels like a 14 or 15 because it turns that way, especially considering the size of the Epic bar on it's outside setting. To put it in perspective, it turns quite a bit faster than my 16 Cab SB. The kite is a little bit towards the lower aspect ratio, and it is very stable in the air. It's not at all twitchy, even in variable wind. It has all kinds of pull, and I was able to park the kite and ride in 8-12 knots. In the unlikely event of a water landing (as the airline adage goes), it relaunches really easily, all you have to do is grab a handfull of a steering line and wait. The kite will find the edge of the window and relaunch itself, without requiring prayer or special acrobatics. :lol: It doesn't stick to the surface of the water in light wind, which is amazing for a bigger kite. When I got around to jumping it did pretty well, considering the wind. Because the kite can turn so fast, you can generate the power for jumps, so you can snap it to 12 oclock for some pretty good boosts. When I used the Oxygen board with the Infinity everything got even better. Despite the board having less surface area than my rival, it made planing quite a bit easier, probably because it has less rocker and a sharper edge. I was really stoked about the new bar. It has the swivel on the chicken loop that can be turned by hand, has multiple knot settings on the lines, can be switched in seconds to operate a larger or smaller kite, and is really comfortable in the hand. I will definitely be buying the bar the day it's released.

On to the Cab XB 18. I got a chance to test this one out right after the Infinity, on my Cab board first, then the Oxygen (which did a little better, as on the Infinity). I think this kite is a very smooth operator. It is very stable in the air, for sure. When I took it out on the water, it felt enormous compared to the Infinity. The bar was about as long as my arm, and cranking on the end of it didn't produce anything immediate from the kite. I think some of this could be attributed to the longer lines. Swooping it produced great results, though, and I was able to park the kite and go in the same wind range as the Infinity. I tried to time some jumps with the waves I was hitting, and I couldn't get the timing right. Bringing the kite to zenith took longer than the time elapsed between recognizing a suitable wave and hitting it, so I ended up jumping well after the wave. The jumps seemed to produce less height, but more hang time than the Infinity. I could swing the kite, and get about 5 feet off the water, but hang there for what seemed like minutes, which was admittedly cool. I didn't get a chance to crash the kite or see someone else crash it, so I can't comment on how easy it is to relaunch. To summarize, this kite is comparable to the Infinity in wind range and stability. It is not nearly as fast as the Infinity, for sure. The jumps generate less height, but more hang time, which probably has something to do with the fact that it has a slightly higher aspect ratio, and doesn' turn as fast, meaning that it floats really well, but can't be sent as quickly to generate lift. I didn't like the new Cab bar. It had the hand-turnable swivel, and the new lines are stiff (maybe coated) and really nice, but it was waaay too long, couldn't be adjusted, and had no stopper ball to help with flying comfortably with one hand, or spinning the bar after a trick while maintaning power in the kite.
If given a choice between the two, I would take the Infinity. It is a smaller kite, generates the same power, but turns much faster on a smaller bar, and has a really simple relaunch, even in very light winds.
Now to find someone who has a jumbo Speed 3 that I can take for a test drive... Anyone within 100 miles of Sarasota, Florida?
P.S. I would like to thank the Cabrinha guys Enrique and his family + Damien for all the help and good time. Also thank you for the pizza, Cameron had a blast spending time with your kids. That was great. Too bad we did not have more wind.

Return to “Kitesurfing”