Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Naish Fly vs. Epic Infinity V2 (3, 4,?)

Forum for kitesurfers
Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Re: Naish Fly vs. Epic Infinity V2 (3, 4,?)

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:30 am

The INFINITY V1 was our first light wind machine. Since then we have inproved its light wind performance with the INFINITY v2 and once again working on the V3 prototype.
If you get a chance demo the INFINITY v2. I am 100% sure you will be very impressed with its performance and turning speed. The reason I know this is because I have witnessed it so many times from different riders demoing it.
Maybe these videos bellow might help you by giving you an idea what the INFINITY v2 & v3 kites can do in light winds. But again you should test the NAISH FLY kite vs the INFINITY v2 or v3 so you can make your own decision and see which one you like the best for these light winds.
:thumb:

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby KYLakeKiter » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:08 pm

Thanks Dimitri. Your videos are always very impressive. I have no doubt that your kites fly in ridiculously low winds. I was curious about a few things.

What is the recommended top end of the V2 or V3 wind range?

Generally, at what wind speed can you hold descent upwind?

If you are considering buying this kite (and probably not needing it until spring) should you wait until the V3 is out?

I appreciate your recommendation to demo both kites. It says alot about your confidence, but getting to demo kites when you live in the center of the US and only get to the coast 4 to 6 times a year is not likely. I am definitely going to buy a new low wind kite before next season, but I will most likely have to depend on recommendations and reviews to make my decision. The good thing about that is once I buy one, I still won't have the other kite to compare it to, so as long as it works well, "ignorance is bliss" and it will be the best kite ever. :lol:

Jono 111
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jono 111 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:02 pm

McAbe wrote:Go for the fly!
My Infinity v1 is a terrible light wind kite if you don't want to ride straight down wind, its also useless for jumping when the wind picks up.
It got decent pop and wave abilities then you reach about 15knots, but you got better alternatives in those winds.
It is also badly balanced in the way that it steers heavily down towards the water, witch makes it hard and uncomfortable to steer with only one hand, so also not good for relaxing cruising.

The v2 is not that mush better (there is a couple of guys that for sure will say it is light years better than the v1, just as they said that the v1 was mush better than others when it came, but any thinking being must have realized that they are full off bull-crap by now), so my advice is to look for another big kite.
Hey there - did you get to try the V2?

Maybe it's a whole lot better upwind, maybe not. Interested to hear.

It's really hard to get non partisan feedback on these kites....

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:39 pm

.....I was curious about a few things.
What is the recommended top end of the V2 or V3 wind range?
Generally, at what wind speed can you hold descent upwind?
If you are considering buying this kite (and probably not needing it until spring) should you wait until the V3 is out?
I appreciate your recommendation to demo both kites. It says alot about your confidence, but getting to demo kites when you live in the center of the US and only get to the coast 4 to 6 times a year is not likely. I am definitely going to buy a new low wind kite before next season, but I will most likely have to depend on recommendations and reviews to make my decision. The good thing about that is once I buy one, I still won't have the other kite to compare it to, so as long as it works well, "ignorance is bliss" and it will be the best kite ever.

Hello Mr. KYLakeKiter,
The top end depends on the weight of the rider and what board you are using. Me for example, I am 180 lbs and use the INFINITY V2 on (22 meter) lines with the OXYGEN v2 (135x47cm) Twin Tip board in 7 to 13 knots max and in the surf I use the REEF ATV 5'7" surf board in 7 to 10 knots. Then I can still use the INFINITY V2 from 12 to 18 knots but have to use a smaller board such as the DROID V2 (135x41cm) twin tip. But it is not much fun because I can use the SCREAMER 14 model or the RENEGADE 13 LTD in these conditions (12 to 18 knots) with the DROID v2 board.
Now if you are 200++++ lbs and you are using a big board such as 145x45 to 155 x48 cm you can use the INFINITY V2 in 8 to 20 knots but make sure to put the (5 meter) extension lines that comes with the kite so it becomes (27 meters) and this will increase its power. If it's blowing 11 to 16 with gusts to 20 knots no need for the (5 meter) extension, just keep it with (22 meter lines).
Now concerning the INFINITY V3 prototype. I can kite in 6 to 9 knots no problem with a Twin Tip board or a Surf Board but I am still working on the high end of the V3 prototype because above 16 knots I am having a hard time to hold an edge. Too much power.
But all I know is that in 2 to 4 knots the V3 stays in the air better then the V2.
Once again if you want to demo the INFINITY v2 please let me know and will send you one to demo. I stand 100% behind my product because I know the results and this is the reason why I am not afraid to let people demo the kites, because I know what will happen next.
:D

P.S. People should know that kiting in 2 to 4 knots on an SUP board is very hard and you need lots of skills to do that. But again who wants to kite in 2 to 4 knots!!!!! All the fun starts from 7 to 11 knots.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KYLakeKiter » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:12 am

OK Dimitri, you have got me. That is an impressive offer that I have to take you up on. There are three of us here in the unlikely kiting spot of middle Tennesse who can't wait to try it out. Wish I had done this last month before the water temp here dropped to the low 50s. We will either have to suck up the cold water or make a road trip to try it, but that will be well worth it.

I have to admit that I am really interested in the V3 based on your reports. I have kites that are fine at 16kts, but not one that stays in the air at 2 to 4kts. I know that low wind kiting is not too exciting to most on this forum, but we often put in a lot of effort here to get out on the lake and get skunked when winds aren't as forecast. A kite that will pull you around at 7 to 8kts and stays in the air during lulls would really increase our kiteable days here.

romkite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: France
Style: Freeride TT & Strapless surf
Gear: 5&7&9 2010 SS Octane

Postby romkite » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:03 pm

Yesterday was a very light day but I wanted to go anyway because I had to try my new bar settings. A friend of mine was there using the V1. I was having a hard time with my kite so I gave the V1 a try, you know, just to get the feeling of easily tacking upwind. Well, tacking upwind I did (almost) not ! That thing was pulling me downwind so hard I spent my time edging as hard as I could. That was no fun at all. I got back to my biggest kite, that is 9m, 22m lines + 5m extensions, largest bar setting, and that was much more fun ! I had to walk upwind a few times, but not so much after all. Not sure how much wind we had, local stat machine on the beach said between 9 to 12 knots, we were riding our usual TT (131x40 for me). I am about 78 kg, confirmed/advanced.

Maybe those lightwind kites make sense for the heavier people, but I tend to believe most people would do fine by using line extensions on their usual kite. But maybe that's not good for business... Still, for those interested in big kites, toyletbowl wrote the only useful (technical) post of the other epic thread.

Second thing I wanted to say after this experience, and after reading two constantly updated and totally useless epic thread : this has become far too much pimping, there is even a guy posting the epic banner ! come on guys ! I once was interested in the screamer, I am not anymore.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:24 am

Last edited by L0KI on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:43 am

Yesterday was a very light day but I wanted to go anyway because I had to try my new bar settings. A friend of mine was there using the V1. I was having a hard time with my kite so I gave the V1 a try, you know, just to get the feeling of easily tacking upwind. Well, tacking upwind I did (almost) not ! That thing was pulling me downwind so hard I spent my time edging as hard as I could. That was no fun at all. I got back to my biggest kite, that is 9m, 22m lines + 5m extensions, largest bar setting, and that was much more fun ! I had to walk upwind a few times, but not so much after all. Not sure how much wind we had, local stat machine on the beach said between 9 to 12 knots, we were riding our usual TT (131x40 for me). I am about 78 kg, confirmed/advanced
Yesterday at Naples in the Epic demo day, I was there to try the V3 and Oxygen combo.. It was blowing about 8-12, and There was a guy there using the V1 and staying upwind just fine. I had no problem on the V3 if I was using the Oxygen. At one point Cameron was flying the V3 and staying upwind fine, which is amazing considering he weighs like all of 80 pounds. It was a little harder on my Cab Rival, probably because it has a thicker edge and some rocker. If you feel like you're getting pulled downwind, you need a board that will let you set and hold an edge. Also, keep the kite high in the window.
Second thing I wanted to say after this experience, and after reading two constantly updated and totally useless epic thread : this has become far too much pimping, there is even a guy posting the epic banner ! come on guys ! I once was interested in the screamer, I am not anymore.
Don't you dare bag on the Screamer! :lol: That is by far my favorite of the kites I have flown. I have a 12 and I have a 14 on the way here in the next couple days, to be followed with a 9 when I can afford it. It's everything it's cracked up to be, for real.

Anyway, if you think Dimitri pimps his own products too much, fine. You don't have to listen to him, because after all, he owns the company so you can expect him to pimp. Listen to the reviews other people write about his stuff and make up your own mind about it. Who cares about the pimping? Every company pimps it's products, whether they are selling kites or toasters. It's called advertising, and it kind of runs the economy (which needs all the help it can get right now)! :rollgrin:

Am I going to not buy a car because I saw a commercial for it on TV?

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:50 am

...Second thing I wanted to say after this experience, and after reading two constantly updated and totally useless epic thread : this has become far too much pimping, there is even a guy posting the epic banner ! come on guys ! I once was interested in the screamer, I am not anymore.
Hello Mr. romkite.
Will see what KyLaKiter has to say once he receive the INFINITY V2 kite to demo. Yes he sent me an email wanting to demo the INFINITY V2 once the kite gets available. So let's see what he has to say after he demos the INFINITY v2 kite.
This is also the reason why I am not afraid to let people demo the kites because I know the results. If I would not believe what the kite can do and stand behind my product I would not even send kites for people to demo.
On the other hand the INFINITY that you tried was a v1 correct!!!! That is a 2 year old kite model.... Since then we have improved its power, stability, and up wind capability like we do with all our products.
I still meet people on the beach that still use the INFINITY v1 and swears by it. For example I was doing demos yesterday and the day before in Naples Florida and I met 2 kiters that had the INFINITY v1 while I was on the INFINITY V3. The first day it was blowing (11 to 14 knots) and all you saw on the water were few 16 & 14 meter CABRINHA kites, (1) SCREAMER 10 LTD + (2) INFINITY v1 + the INFINITY V3. A total of 8 to 10 kites and every body had a great time except people on the 14 meter and 10 meter that had to walk up wind some times.

Then yesterday the wind was blowing (7 to 12 knots) max. And the only kites that were in the water were the 18/16/14 CABRINHA, (2) INFINITY v1, (1) RENEGADE 11, (1) AIRUSH 17, and the INFINITY V3 kite.
The people that were having fun were the people with bigger kites such as the 18/16 CABRINHA kites, the AIRUSH 17, the (2) INFINITY v1 and the prototype INFINITY v3. The other guys had to do the walk of shame every time.
:lol:

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KYLakeKiter » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:59 am

Since I asked the original question, I have to agree with what Oldnbroken said. When asking about specific brands of kites, I would expect people to pimp their brand. I wanted to hear from the people who like their kites and the people who make them.

Dimitri is sending me a V2 to demo later in December (based on when I can take it to some warm water to try out) I have to say that "pimpin' kites like that is alright by me. It is one thing to talk on the forum and hear opinions, but you can't beat getting your hands on the kite and trying it out for yourself (even better trying it out on your own schedule).

I fully admit that this will probably make my opinion completely biased, but Naish is welcomed to send me a kite as well if you want to even things up :lol:

Just kidding Taut. I have no opinion yet on Naish, so don't go all frusterated Jackie Chan on me. :naughty:

Return to “Kitesurfing”