enduro2010
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Jan/Feb Vacation

Postby enduro2010 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:20 am

Hope you can help :o

I'm looking for a kitesurfing spot with good wind & warm water, waves not essential, for a couple of weeks in Jan or Feb '13. Accommodation needs to be very near the beach, hotel or villa. some bars and restaurants for the après kitesurfing. Travelling out of Europe but will to go anywhere. Budget flexible. All suggestions welcome....
Cheers :bye:

enduro2010
Rare Poster

Re: Jan/Feb Vacation

Postby enduro2010 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:52 am

I'm thinking of st lucia staying at the coconut bay resort & spa hotel. Has anyone any info on this spot? Wind, kiting facility / location, hotel...... Many thanks

Ilovekitesurfing
Medium Poster

Postby Ilovekitesurfing » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:58 pm

How about Union Island?

www.kitesurfgrenadines.com

Saint Lucia is nice, I have been to the Reef a few times, nice place and nice people!

www.slucia.com/reef/

Jono 111
Frequent Poster

Postby Jono 111 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:18 pm

Hi....conditions are also really good at Cotton Bay Village in the North. You launch 100 yards up the beach from the hotel, half the bay is properly flat, no crowds. Have spent many weeks there are always loved it.

The hotel rates are a lot cheaper as a rule if you call them up. Rooms are great, pool is great, food is ho hum. No nightlife without cab ride.

Downsides....sometimes the wind veers a little too far North (from memory) and it's marginal, gustiness wise - unlike Vieux Fort which still works. But those days are much less common than the normal wind direction that works perfectly. Also not typical tropical,clear water, but you won't care less....it's a beautiful, unspoilt setting.

One of my favourite spots....

Hellen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: dahab, egypt

Postby Hellen » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:29 pm

Hi,
not so far away from Europe but with the feeling of being in another world, there is Dahab, which could be a good option for your vacation. Located in South Sinai (Egypt), it's a small beautiful town, only 1 hour far from the international airport of the well known Sharm el Sheik.
The main kite spot is a lagoon and right on the beach there is a center called Happy Kite which is where I usually hang out as I love to be with my kite just couple of steps from the launching area.
Temperatures here, even in winter, are not uncomfortable but it's worth bringing a wetsuit (3-5mm) as, especially with strong wind and for long sessions, you may feel some cold.
Water in the lagoon is flat and mainly shallow, perfect for both beginner and advance riders. If you prefer open sea or interested in waves you can quickly get out from the lagoon. Regarding the wind, it's on average pretty strong, up to 25 knots. Even when the condition are not the best the good thing to use this spot is that most of the time the wind is still enough to get a ride and have a lot of fun, while just couple of km away you'd just sit on the beach.
Very close to the spot you can find some 5 star resorts as Hilton, Swiss Inn, Coralia....with all comforts and facilities. On the other side, 15 min walking or 3 min by very cheap taxi, every sort of hotels, bungalow and camping are available to provide an experience more in contact with the local atmosphere.
In Happy Kite you will always find nice and easygoing international surfers. English, German, Italian and Russian speaking IKO instructors are always happy to share their knowledge and passion for kiting. I don't know your level, but if you want to improve it, this is the right place to be! A beautiful chill out area with carpet and free Internet is the living room of the station, just a couple of steps far from the beach, with the convenience of pumping the kite with compressor and be launched and landed by the snap of your finger.
I really hope to see you over here!!
Greetings from magic Dahab, endless summer for wind addicted! :D

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:52 pm

SUPA - how is Florida in January / February? looking to fly into FT Lauderdale early Feb

Kitesurf Vacation
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Playa del Carmen.
Favorite Beaches: Tulum, Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Playa del Carmen, Progreso, Isla Blanca
Style: airstyle, oldschool
Brand Affiliation: http://www.kitesurfvacation.com

Postby Kitesurf Vacation » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:10 pm

Hola,

You should come to Mexico, especially in the caribbean side there are many warm and windy spots! Also Baja California (La Ventana, Mexico) is an incredible spot.

You can check on this website more info about the spots http://kiteboardingspotsmexico.com

Saludos,

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:42 pm

darippah wrote:SUPA - how is Florida in January / February? looking to fly into FT Lauderdale early Feb
Typically N to NNW to NW winds with cold fronts...from 15 to30mph++...12M / 10M /8M kites
Most people are ok with only a 10M...either ocean waves with surfboard..or intracoastal flat on TT

Because of direction of wind that time of year...the East Florida coastline angle to be in surf..
..is important to keep in mind..look for a spot with no tall buildings upwind..for cleaner wind

Gusty side-side off winds are mostly what the ocean offers...at that time of year
If there is 3 guys in the surf on surfboards....there will be 30 guys on the causeway on TT
I prefer to ride with 2 guys than 28.... :thumb:

Hope this helps..ocean temp will hover around 60 degrees.. air temp between 50 and 60 by 3pm

I ride my 2/3mm shorty with an extra 2mm sleeveless top for the chest area..
..i say no to fullsuit as long as possible...but i have been seen wearing one..but very rare :wink:

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9

Postby flybykite » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:25 am

SE Asia has warm waters and good wind then. Mui Ne, Vietnam (also has decent night life all walking distance) or Hua Hin, Thailand. Happy Kiting!

ChrisIsBored
Rare Poster

Postby ChrisIsBored » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:56 am

I'll be in Belize the middle of January. Doesn't seem to be the most popular kiteboarding destination but there is a shop out there on one of the Cayes, as well as ultra inexpensive rooms. I think I may be able to get away with spending only roughly $1,000 incl airfare for a 6 day trip.

Return to “Kitesurfing”