Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Flysurfer Speed 4 - 8.0 & 10.0 review

Postby Ted B » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:02 pm

hey 68
do you mean "back stalling?"

Because the new speed 4 has no back stall. I was doing some unhooked wave riding and did not pull the strap at all. Just unhook and down the line I go.... Later ted B

If you have a speed 3 backstalling just pull the strap a bit and that should fix it......

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:10 am

Never had Back-stalling w Speed 3 21. Amazing kite.

funalex
Very Frequent Poster

Postby funalex » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:13 pm

transcanadatom
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Spray Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Keho, Spray Lakes in the Winter
Style: Cruiser
Gear: 2009 Eclipse Nano 7/9/11m, 2009 Thruster 14m, Crazyfly Cruiser
Been thanked: 0

Postby transcanadatom » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:09 pm

Wow, just received my Speed 4 8m deluxe and the most noticeable difference to me in design is the leading edge, I guess it really is an SLE now. the Gin/ Spleene inserts on the leading edge make this kite rock solid in shape and I was surprised at the pull in almost non existent winds. I was just static flying it today but this feels very good and the deluxe fabric is off the hook lite! I have the Unity 8/10 for our school (very good beginner kites) but don't rate them for myself, a little placid for my tastes. Very impressed so far and will get it up to the mountains tomorrow for some real testing, but this is evolutionary for sure. I have a 12m Speed 3 which I love, (purple deluxe) but looking forward to the 18 to have the perfect quiver from 8 to to 35 knots. Well played FS, Well played indeed.

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:33 am

Rock Solid Speed 4 8m!! Had hours of fun!
This kite is very Fast for Kiteloops!
Great Snowkiting Session... In Stock...
Will have a few more picts of a Customer on the 8m Deluxe...

www.PBKiteboarding.com
Full Support for Customers.... What a Blast!

lopor
Rare Poster
Gear: Catalyst 2014 9m, Soul 15 & 10

Postby lopor » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:34 pm

Guys, just a quick question about Speed 4. What´s the difference between Lotus and Deluxe versions? Or is it just a different name used to the same kite across the world?

(why I ask: I can change Frenzy 2015 11m Ultralight for Speed 4 Deluxe 10m but do not know the difference between Lotus and Deluxe versions and do not know what to expect if I changed Frenzy for Speed)

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:00 pm

Your Frenzy will probally feel more closer in texture to the deluxe speed 4 . the flysurfer lotus uses an entirely different material to the other speed 4's. It feels more like a very light and silky ripstop with a slightly plastic feel to it .

lopor
Rare Poster
Gear: Catalyst 2014 9m, Soul 15 & 10

Postby lopor » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:51 pm

Thank you. What about wind range? According to the internet the Speed should give me a wider range, especially in the upper part of the wind range. But as far as I know closed cell kites have lower power per square meter. I am affraid it would perform worse in low wind than my Frenzy. Gotta search the web on the weekend as I know almost nothing about Speed but just got a great offer for an unused one, so trying to get some information.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:57 pm

lopor wrote:Guys, just a quick question about Speed 4. What´s the difference between Lotus and Deluxe versions? Or is it just a different name used to the same kite across the world?

(why I ask: I can change Frenzy 2015 11m Ultralight for Speed 4 Deluxe 10m but do not know the difference between Lotus and Deluxe versions and do not know what to expect if I changed Frenzy for Speed)
Speed4 DLX and Speed4 Lotus are two different kites, not so much by used fabrics but different specs. Lotus has bigger AR and more cells, it is newer model too.

S4 DLX is a bit closer to Frenzy than S4 Lotus, but it is still higher performance kite than Frenzy. 11m Frenzy is quite close match to 10m DLX, so changing to smaller Speed is a bit questionable.

Unhooked Frenzy is probably better and it does not go out of tune as easy, if at all. Speed4 has a huge windrange, for sure more high end than Frenzy. I know 160lbs guy who was on 8m S4DLX in 35-40knots.

I wouldn't change - even though I prefer speeds - because 11m size 2015 Frenzy is so good snowkite. But if Speed is brand new and Ozone used, then...

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:05 am

The frenzy will definitely have more power than the speed 10m dlx . As you already noted that an open cell will have a little more power than a closed cell and plus the frenzy will already have 1m up on speed so definitely more power. The speeds are very flexible as far as windrange, but the 10m is definitely not a low wind kite . May be the 15m and up I would consider a low wind kite. Also the lotus fabric helps a lot.

Return to “Kitesurfing”