Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why directional

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why directional

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:46 pm

JBD wrote:I agree with tautologies it's not about one or the other it's about what I'm in the mood for. I'll ride my directional when I'm in the mood to ride waves and my twin tip when I want to play with the waves.
Curious - what can you do with a TT in waves, playing, you can not do with a waveboard ?

:D PF

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:15 pm

Peter_Frank wrote: Riding a directional in flat water or chop or waves - does not matter where, it just FEELS so much better in every way IMO

So for me it is the feel of riding a directional (no matter what type) that just feels and seems so more right in every way
In my opinion...i approve 100% your opinion
Sooner or later...all TT riders... look in the DIRECTION of directionals..to do real KITESURFING

Accept no compromises...a nose ...a tail with fins...travel DIRECTLY in one perfect direction

................................................. :wink: .......................................................................................

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:56 pm

SupaEZ wrote:[
Sooner or later...all TT riders... look in the DIRECTION of directionals..to do real KITESURFING
oh man.... so i'm not doing real kite surfing? what have i been doing all these years? knitting?

just a minute my mutant is a directional. in one direction it rides waves and the other direction it boosts.... multi- directional... no compromises? hehhehehehhe

ps I hate the slap of chop on the SB.... really annoys me. i much prefer the slice through the chop my mutant provides.

pss i'm a bit weird and don't usually follow the sheep doing the same thing as everyone else. probably explains why i enjoy the mutant. Also explains why also kite on beach on a landboard....

hudstur
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Delray Beach, Florida
Boca Raton, FL
Boynton Beach, FL
Lighthouse Point, FL
Favorite Beaches: Delray Beach, FL
Hood River, OR
Floras Lake, OR
Cape Hatteras, NC
Napeague, NY
Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: OCEAN RODEO Duke 5’4”, OR Flites, FOne kites, SS Mixer 5’10”, Litewavedesigns Kick S.
Been thanked: 0

Postby hudstur » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:01 pm

What is your alls classification of a MUTANT style board????

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:11 pm

hudstur wrote:What is your alls classification of a MUTANT style board????
A "Mutant" kiteboard, is not a twintip (not symmetric), but not a full directional either.

So it can ride both ways, althoug way better in one direction.

A waveboard can ride backwards too of course - f.ex when going out in shallow water - but it SUCKS doing this, so not fun, just for the occasional necesssity....

Where a mutant board rides pretty well backwards, and most often has one or two small fins in the nose for better ride backwards :thumb:

Then there are different types of mutants - some are more round and wave/fun oriented, others are more blasting jumping rockets (the very first old ones were excellent at this).
Some are long and waveboard like - others are short and close to a TT, although not symmetrical.

hudstur
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Delray Beach, Florida
Boca Raton, FL
Boynton Beach, FL
Lighthouse Point, FL
Favorite Beaches: Delray Beach, FL
Hood River, OR
Floras Lake, OR
Cape Hatteras, NC
Napeague, NY
Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: OCEAN RODEO Duke 5’4”, OR Flites, FOne kites, SS Mixer 5’10”, Litewavedesigns Kick S.

Postby hudstur » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:14 pm

What brands might be considered MUTANTS???

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:23 pm

hudstur wrote:What brands might be considered MUTANTS???
The last one I rode was a Brunotti Bumble Bee

And the classic Shinn Wave was another similar mutant style board :thumb:

But most of the (few) brands that got mutant boards earlier, has discontinued these - as most of us prefer either a good TT or a good waveboard - or both for what we like on a given day, but not something in between that is neither one or the other 8)

So not popular anymore really, eventhough a few still use these, yes.

Different people different likings :naughty:

Last edited by Peter_Frank on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

polarstorm
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sauble, Santa Rita, Valmitao
Favorite Beaches: Santa Rita, Valmitao
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha (little goat)

Postby polarstorm » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:35 pm

SupaEZ wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote: Riding a directional in flat water or chop or waves - does not matter where, it just FEELS so much better in every way IMO

So for me it is the feel of riding a directional (no matter what type) that just feels and seems so more right in every way
In my opinion...i approve 100% your opinion

Accept no compromises...a nose ...a tail with fins...travel DIRECTLY in one perfect direction

................................................. :wink: .......................................................................................
I've just picked up strapless riding, learning on the butter flats and it's going well, but I'm of the thinking that a surfboard on the butter flats might not be as good as a twintip, that a surfboard is for the surf.. I've seen people ride flat chop on a strapless surfboard at high speed and it just doesn't look right, the board rattles all over the place and it doesn't look fun.. a twintip on the other hand digs in like a knife.. takes on this? I'm not abandoning my sweet fifty/50.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:38 pm

Has anyone ever had a twintip custom built with a straighter, longer, thicker and softer toeside edge with slightly bigger more swept fins for the bottom turn and a shorter more rockered and thinner heelside edge for the top turn? It could probably be constructed like a normal twintip but with a soft flexible shape bonded onto the top surface of the toeside edge.

The one other thing which I would think could help a wave twintip is the rotating footstraps.

Just wondering if the best wave twintip has been built yet?

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:50 pm

So I'll admit I'm not great at anything but learning as much as I can. We have some big waves on Maui but at Kanaha they are not very hollow. I would say up to double over head. I really like to smack off the lip of a wave, drop in and mostly run like hell on the big ones. I have been having fun trying tricks with the wave as a ramp either on the way out or in. I think the only way to do this is on a TT, but would like to learn how to ride a surfboard but never liked the way it smacks on top of the water instead of slicing threw it like a TT.

Plummet what kind of Mutant do you ride?

Return to “Kitesurfing”