FICO90
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

It's sooo hard

Postby FICO90 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:59 pm

Hey,
I'm very new to this epic sport. I've had one lesson where I learned the basics, can body drag upwind and all that. Due to work and where I live I haven't had time for my second lesson yet so I've been practicing myself - under the watchful eye of my extremely concerned father of course.
Anyhow my question is how do ye get up on that board? It's driving me mad, the hardest thing is to get my bloody feet into the bloody straps. Keep getting turned around by waves, next thing my board has been washed all the way back into the beach :( roughly how long does this first step take? I have this dream of kitesurfing with a Santa hat on Christmas Day haha. However once I do get this I can see myself getting pretty hooked pretty fast

wadoepotatoe
Rare Poster

Re: It's sooo hard

Postby wadoepotatoe » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:14 pm

Try loosening your straps a tad to allow your feet to slip in easier. the sooner the board is on your feet, the sooner you can dive your kite and get riding. Don't go too loose on the straps as I'm envisioning a nasty knee injury. Stick with it...it's sooooooo worth it!

-wade.

FICO90
Rare Poster

Postby FICO90 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:30 pm

Cool, I'll do that. I assume it's a bit like riding a bike... This first bit is the hardest ha

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:51 pm

Proceed patiently and cautiously.

If you do not have any previous board riding experience, consider learning to ride the board first being towed by a boat or at a cable park.

Do lots of body dragging and get really comfortable flying the kite before you put a board into the equation.

You shouldn't try to learn how to get up on the board in waves. Find the flatest water you can fly the kite in for your first attempts.

Watch the Progression beginner video. It shows good techniques to get up on the board if you have not done it before. This will also show you how and where to park the kite once you get up on the board.

Best of luck. It is achievable, but it takes quite a bit of patients. If you can, go somewhere there are other kiters, watch them and talk to them. There is usually someone in a group of kiters wherever you go that will help you as long as you are receptive to what they tell you.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:52 am

Learning in waves is going to be ten times harder. It takes getting used to even after you've mastered flat water. You want flat water as mentioned in the last post. Also plus one on the suggestion to get pulled by a boat or go to a cable park if available.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:40 am

KYLakeKiter wrote:You shouldn't try to learn how to get up on the board in waves. Find the flatest water you can fly the kite in for your first attempts.
I too learned in the waves, or attempted to ride in the waves at first, but I must've gone at it so many times, before the crew I ride with (Which by the way they were awesome giving me tips, and taking the time to guide me) went dow to the Keys and invited me; that trip was magical, cause although I couldn't go upwind, I was able to finally get up on the board, hold the edge and really feel the kite do its thing and how it all fits together, it just finally clicked.

So, I agree that flat water is key for learning. If you get the chance, it will cut, I'd say at least 10 sessions of learning in the waves, then you can go back to the ocean and it will all click, thenn waves is all about timing.

Good luck and stick with it!

20 m or bust
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dalrock, Ray Roberts
Favorite Beaches: Mustang Island, Stink Beach
Style: Free ride
Gear: Waroos
Stretch board

Postby 20 m or bust » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:37 am

Though it will click and you will get up on the board, it will still be somewhat frustrating. Some days you will only be able to water start successfully to the left. The next time out the right is the only way you can get up. But as you practice, your variation gets less and your skill level gets higher. Absolutely agree that if you can find some flat water you will progress much faster. Also, please always put safety first no matter how bad you want to get riding. An injury really slows the progress down.

geopeck
Frequent Poster

Postby geopeck » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:39 am

there is an exercise you can do to make that stage a little easier. Body drag out with the board, put the kite at 12, put your feet in and practice using the kite and board together to stay stable while you sit back in the water. You just work your way downwind a few times like that.

Once you get turned around the board will definitely be coming off so just grab it and start over. You'll find out what the maximum angle you can recover from is and how to anticipate and work your way through some wave action.

- keep the straps loose

- you don't need to actually work your feet into the straps before you let go of the board. Once you have your toes under the straps you can drop it and go back to two hands on the bar. You'll have enough leverage to wiggle your feet in while you are bracing against the kite.

murph68
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dollmount, Sutton, Brittas Bay
Gear: Wainman Hawaii, Nobile

Postby murph68 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:12 am

Good tips about loosening the straps and flat water, but you might also want to try some variations of body dragging, one of which is the balance drag.
Kite at 12 hands in the middle of the bar, now just sit back in the water and bring your feet up as if you have the board on already and let the kite pull you downwind, if you feel yourself being spun around take one hand off to counteract the spin. do this until you feel comfy then have another crack at the board, and just get used to it being on your feet, then try diving the kite.
Hope this helps, where in Ireland are you? I might be able to suggest some flat water spots.

Murph.

FICO90
Rare Poster

Postby FICO90 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:01 pm

Thanks guys for all your tips, gonna be a massive help. Unfortunately I don't live near any cable parks and I don't think the boats around (fishing/currachs/rowing boats) would be suitable for towing me haha.
I know a lake near by that will suffice as flat water, ordered the progression dvd, gonna practice now like crazy. Cannot wait to nail this ha.
Murph I'm in Connemara, on the very west coast...

Return to “Kitesurfing”