Wainman Boss 2012 vs. Boss 2010

Forum for kitesurfers
NEkitesurfing
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Wainman Boss 2012 vs. Boss 2010

Postby NEkitesurfing » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:07 pm

Are there any noticeable changes between the 2010 Model and the latest Version of the Boss?
The front tube is slightly thinner that could result in a softer structure...

kitesurfrabbi
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wainman Boss 2012 vs. Boss 2010

Postby kitesurfrabbi » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:18 pm

structural stiffness of the struts and maintube has been significantly increases with the last update on all sizes.
so your concenr is not an issue.

flying them back to back you will notice a more solid pull from the new one, a floatier glide.
also the new boss feels a lot more solid in the sky, gusts and lulls seem to not affect him at all anymore. the new boss is the new boss for sure.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:29 am

Flown the 2012s several times. 3 sesh's on BM, 4 sesh's on Boss and one on Smoke. Kite creat a lot of apparent wind speed. I can catch a guy that I have kited with for years and he weighs 60 lbs less than me. Same boards that we have had for a few years. He can be 50 yards ahead of me and I can pass him. The 2012s have more static pull at the edge of the window. Go upwind easier at a higher angle.

Riding Toeside for me they are Super smooth and have a smooth pull.

May turn a bit better with loose line tension. I don't get tired with these kites. So easy to fly

ToeSide14

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:02 am

https://picasaweb.google.com/Javier.E.E ... wcyIkNrJYg

above i posted some pictures of comparison of the kites, i have not flown the new one but look forward to it...the kites are very similar, yet completely different kites as you can tell in the pictures, only reason i upgraded was because i got a used one cheap rather than shelling out over a grand for a new Boss

to me the struts are the same, but the leading edge on the new boss is a cm or two less in circumference, but just as stiff if not stiffer than the old one. My favorite setting is almost fast on the rear lines and on the new kite is further back so it should be interesting in turning speed when i do fly it and the upwind setting on the old one is located where the middle stock setting is on the new one

will post the differences i notice when i do get to ride, its blowing every couple of days here unfortunately have to work too much leading up to christmas

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:45 am

I've recently tried my buddies Punch, and really like the kite, but was wondering, if I should go with the Boss instead, my ideal quiver has always been 2 kites a 12 and a 10, I've recently switch from Bow kites to Delta shaped, and am flying a 12 and 9 methods V1, the bar pressure is getting a bit annoying, and although the Method V2 promises to ease up on BP, I was thinking that maybe the Wainman kites are a bit more versatile than the Methods, meaning, the Methods are a pure wave kite, which I'm enjoying a lot, but for flatter days, I'd like to take out the TT and keep trying at those freestyle moves that haunt me, is not very ideal.

I'm a heavier rider right now @ 200 and ride my TT as well as my strapped 6'0" wam, and strapless 5'6" ratboy. Either way I look at it, I feel that the sizes are too close, either the 12/10.5 or the 10.5/9 combination.

I'm also considering the Blade Triggers, I feel these are very versatile, as well as super quick which I like.

Not looking for a miracle answer just opinions to help make up my mind. Thanks in advance!

seaplus
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish, CrazyFly

Postby seaplus » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:39 pm

It wasn't until 2012 that WH added the 10.5m Punch between their 9m & 12m. I own a Boss & a Smoke and there's only been a couple sessions that I wish I had a 10.5m (but was still fine with my 9/12).

Tim

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:53 pm

seaplus wrote:It wasn't until 2012 that WH added the 10.5m Punch between their 9m & 12m. I own a Boss & a Smoke and there's only been a couple sessions that I wish I had a 10.5m (but was still fine with my 9/12).

Tim
Cool. That's what i was thinking tnx seaplus

Return to “Kitesurfing”