Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

A 9 year old learning to kite with Outer Banks Kiting.

Forum for kitesurfers
iim
Rare Poster
Local Beach: South NJ
Favorite Beaches: East End Cayman / Turks & Caicos, Provo. / Waves, NC / LBI, NJ, BVI
Style: Surf / Wake
Gear: Cabrinha, Jimmy Lewis, North, Mystic, Dakine
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A 9 year old learning to kite with Outer Banks Kiting.

Postby iim » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:49 pm

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: A 9 year old learning to kite with Outer Banks Kiting.

Postby juandesooka » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:47 pm

awesome! great day for the little dude.

I'd be so stoked if I could get my daughters to try, but I can't even get them to come to the beach to watch...no interest. My wife surfs, but is scared to try kiting....our conversation today: "if this 9 year old can do it, so can you!". But no go....ah well, remains a solo pursuit.

:wink:

iim
Rare Poster
Local Beach: South NJ
Favorite Beaches: East End Cayman / Turks & Caicos, Provo. / Waves, NC / LBI, NJ, BVI
Style: Surf / Wake
Gear: Cabrinha, Jimmy Lewis, North, Mystic, Dakine

Postby iim » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:00 pm

Yeah, it was a great time for him. We've got 4 boys - two of them love it, two of them won't touch it.. you'll just have to keep having more kids and sooner or later you'll get a kiter.. :wink:

polarstorm
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sauble, Santa Rita, Valmitao
Favorite Beaches: Santa Rita, Valmitao
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha (little goat)

Postby polarstorm » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:43 am

juandesooka wrote:awesome! great day for the little dude.

I'd be so stoked if I could get my daughters to try, but I can't even get them to come to the beach to watch...no interest. My wife surfs, but is scared to try kiting....our conversation today: "if this 9 year old can do it, so can you!". But no go....ah well, remains a solo pursuit.

:wink:
You may need to change your approach, don't push it at all.. I'm a bit pushy with my kid on soccer and she is not liking it.. watching kiting from the beach is good for 5 minutes then it gets boring.. and unless youre somewhere tropical it gets cold (this is a big problem).. when I take my kid, I promise to take her on the board and she is stoked about it. It's my wife that more the issue because she won't come and she won't have the kids sitting around on the beach.

Nice video, smart idea to bring the boat in case you need to get to him for some reason, to help with a rescue.

I also have a swingbar (spare kitebar) installed indoors and the kids all enjoy that (they fight over it).

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:47 am

polarstorm wrote: You may need to change your approach, don't push it at all.. I'm a bit pushy with my kid on soccer and she is not liking it.. watching kiting from the beach is good for 5 minutes then it gets boring.. and unless youre somewhere tropical it gets cold (this is a big problem).. when I take my kid, I promise to take her on the board and she is stoked about it. It's my wife that more the issue because she won't come and she won't have the kids sitting around on the beach.
Yeah, binderdundat....already blew it with trying to get the girls surfing when younger, pushed them in too early ... was all good until they got that ice water head dunking, then all of a sudden that super day wasn't so super any more. :roll:

So no pushing at all for kiting....and no one in my family comes to the beach ever! I can understand it, wind is uncomfortable, cold and noisy. Not much fun to go to the beach on a windy day ... until you're a kiter and then there's nothing better.

My old surf buddies are similar ... none have yet switched over, surfers HATE wind.

justbob
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Mbay, Rondeau, Kettle Point
Gear: 14m Switch Nitro 4
12m Switch Nitro 7
11m Switch Element
10m Switch Nitro 6
8m Switch Nitro 4
Jimmy Lewis Model 3
Shinn King Gee
Axis Vanguard
Shinnster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby justbob » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:44 pm

Whenever I see a young kiter like this lad, it just amazes me. As a worrier and father of two, I don't think I could stand by and watch my 11 yr old go out on his own, too many what if's. None of my family
seems to have any interest in kiting, I can barely get them to go with me. You must be a pretty proud Dad, good for you man! :thumb:

Pattiecannon
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Caba, Bilinga
Favorite Beaches: Belongil, Muddies, Caba.
Style: loose
Gear: Rev 2 2009 9m
Octane 2010 11m
TD 2 2008 12m
Griffin 2009 14m
Chopstick 149
Custom 2010 136

Postby Pattiecannon » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:48 am

justbob wrote:Whenever I see a young kiter like this lad, it just amazes me. As a worrier and father of two, I don't think I could stand by and watch my 11 yr old go out on his own, too many what if's. None of my family
seems to have any interest in kiting, I can barely get them to go with me. You must be a pretty proud Dad, good for you man! :thumb:

Hey it's good to be honest, I have no kids of my own but I've lived with a few 'step kids'. A bit of worry is natural but molycottling is not. 1 of these is getting into surfing at the moment and was loving it until she got dunked and came up under the surfboard....not happy jan. But a week later she's out on the boogie board and telling us all how to do it properly. loving it.
It's good to use humour to deflect kids minds from pain they have suffered. How to use this with icecream headaches? That's got to be good, an I can't help you there. but "have you been eating too much icecream?" comes to mind... maybe, but prolly better to get them a hoodie b4hand.
Could you get kids to hanging out on an overcast windy beach for kiting by busting out a trainer and maybe a landboard? I'd like to hear from some more folk who've had success in this area of kiting cohersion.

MarcThompson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Barra da Tijuca; Praia Seca; Araruama; Arubinha; Búzios.
Favorite Beaches: Praia Seca
Style: Freeride
Gear: CORE Riot XR2 11, Slingshot Darko.

Postby MarcThompson » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:09 pm

That video was awesome! I have a three yrs boy and can't barely wait for him to be able to ride. He already said he wants a kite! :thumb:
Now, regarding coercion, I've been successful in two attempts so far: my youngest brother (just turned 18) and my wife (but she was an easy one, as she always loved sea activities).
I've also tried to bring two of my best friends to take the lessons, but that was a failure. Guess I can just make up the minds of my relatives...

Return to “Kitesurfing”