Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How far would you go to kite?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How far would you go to kite?

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:36 pm

Maaaan, I feel lucky - and TRULY respect for those driving so long as the last few posts indicate :thumb:

Of course, we all know we probably would do the same, if we had to, but still - somehow I will bow and take my (virtual) hat off for you all :hut:

AWESOME that you do this - and shows how great this sport is, since some do amazing marathons to get out :naughty:

:D PF

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby William Munney » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:41 pm

5 minutes to my local spot, moderate chop, many options for SW wind within 45 minutes or less. NW options about an hour. However, lately there hasn't been much wind.

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:49 pm

I get spoiled living 5 min to my local spot. There are better conditions around but its a minimum of an hour to more than 2.5. OBX is 15hrs, anything else is a plane ride. I'm always impressed with kiter's who travel 3 plus hours,kite for a couple,then drive 3hrs more home. Its always tough when your driving by the local spot blowing 20 plus knowing your driving another hour plus.Never leave wind to find wind ...lol

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:54 pm

bigwave wrote:I get spoiled living 5 min to my local spot. There are better conditions around but its a minimum of an hour to more than 2.5. OBX is 15hrs, anything else is a plane ride. I'm always impressed with kiter's who travel 3 plus hours,kite for a couple,then drive 3hrs more home. Its always tough when your driving by the local spot blowing 20 plus knowing your driving another hour plus.Never leave wind to find wind ...lol
SO true, and "famous" words IMO.

Never leave the wind...
Never wait for more wind...

These evergreen "guidelines" apply more often than not - and some has learned this the hard way, if you get my drift :o

8) PF

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:14 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
bigwave wrote:I get spoiled living 5 min to my local spot. There are better conditions around but its a minimum of an hour to more than 2.5. OBX is 15hrs, anything else is a plane ride. I'm always impressed with kiter's who travel 3 plus hours,kite for a couple,then drive 3hrs more home. Its always tough when your driving by the local spot blowing 20 plus knowing your driving another hour plus.Never leave wind to find wind ...lol
SO true, and "famous" words IMO.

Never leave the wind...
Never wait for more wind...

These evergreen "guidelines" apply more often than not - and some has learned this the hard way, if you get my drift :o

8) PF

Ahhh... yes. But. never search and you will never find.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:28 am

So true Plummet...

But that usually goes for "spots and conditions" - where you are right on, but not for wind IMO 8)

:D PF

Twitch
Medium Poster

Postby Twitch » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:07 am

Hey man lived new orleans for quite some time, best spot I ever been to was down fourchon and grand isle area. I found a nice sandy lagoon with some marshes about. Trust me its very worth it I use to drive 2 hours to get there just for flatwater, neither mississipi or lakefront even came close it was like being in a brown washing machine with chest high chop.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:32 am

WildDuke wrote:In sept 2009 i was living and working on a cattle station in the middle of the Kimberley, in Western Australia. I bought a kite from thw US and has it posted to Broome, Western Australia (and 11 hour drive away). I then drove another 2 days to Exmouth so i could kite for a week! Then drove the 2and a half days back to Kununurra.
Hi mate,

In July 2009 (2 months prior to your trip) I needed 53 hours in several planes to fly from my home DownUnder to my favorite kite spot (Cumbuco). That sucked a little bit so I swapped the locations of my home. Now it is only 30 meters and I'm on my board - Happy Days! :D

Cheers
Caesar 8)

PS: Anyone done more than 53 hours to fly to your favorite kite spot?

Chickenwing504
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mississppi gulf coast
Gear: 13m switch element

Postby Chickenwing504 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:51 am

Twitch wrote:Hey man lived new orleans for quite some time, best spot I ever been to was down fourchon and grand isle area. I found a nice sandy lagoon with some marshes about. Trust me its very worth it I use to drive 2 hours to get there just for flatwater, neither mississipi or lakefront even came close it was like being in a brown washing machine with chest high chop.
Port fouchon is closed indefinitely due to beach erosion. Grand isle is still open, but a toll needs to be prepaid prior to travel.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:06 am

I would go as far as :D ....... buying a full quiver of Epic kites...
...for guaranteed wind coverage :wink: ...... of 3kn avg. to 40kn+

.......................................now that's far....fetched :thumb: .............................................

Return to “Kitesurfing”