*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Why directional
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:06 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:08 pm
Posts: 400
Location: Venice, Florida
ChristoffM wrote:
Wow, this became quite a lively topic. I think it is good that everyone has their own preferences. It means there are people developing each aspect of the sport. I'd hate for kiting to have only one type of riding towards which to aspire to.

Quote:
-I can understand the speed over chop, but the noise factor would drive me f-kin nuts.


What? Is there really a noticeable difference between a surfboard and twintip? You guys must experience riding a hydrofoil downwind some time. Imagine almost silence. No wind noise since you travel downwind almost as fast as the wind. No water splash noise. Only the softest of water spray that sounds like a small water stream in the mountains. In fact it is the only way I have ever experienced where one can actually hear the white water chop break! Not from the shore (since the water hits the shore loudly), not in a boat (since the water hitting the boat is also too noisy) or jumping while kiting on a normal board (since that is stil too noisy due to wind noise) have I heard the sound of wind driven chop breaking in the out in the water. But riding downwind on a hydrofoil makes the difference in sounds between a surfboard and twintip sound ridiculous. But now that you mentioned it I am curious to be more attentive to it next time on the surfboard.


A TT sounds like a steady hiss, a directional sounds like a series of overlapping "flop" sounds. Something about the hard exterior covering a less dense foamy core, and the fact that the directionals float on top of the chop and slap the water instead of cutting through it, gives that hollow sound that drives me nuts.

And a hydrofoil board makes me think about kiting on a directional while wearing clown stilts, and making the tacks even harder yet. I saw an experienced rider cruizing around on one of those, and it looked like the most unnatural, awkward thing imaginable. I'd rather ride a cardboard box or a yard sale sign. :lol:


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Why directional
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:53 am 
Offline
Medium Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:26 pm
Posts: 194
Location: Langebaan (Cape Town)
It is cool that each person has their own preference. I wonder if there are any new type of boards yet to be invented? Maybe a auto height control hydrofoil like the moth dingys for racing? Or some catamaran contraption for speed?

Sometimes I think it is good that not more guys are on hydrofoils. I would be wearing a lot of body armer if I had to go kite in Cape Town and half the people were on hydrofoils. They can be quite dangerous. Forget surfboard fins.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Why directional
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:08 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:09 am
Posts: 519
Flight Time wrote:
I'd rather ride a cardboard box or a yard sale sign. :lol:



Your free to do so.

write a review


This sport is so funny. There is obviously a lot of ways to do it and we are all free to find our own groove. From Toby's airstyle to Felix's unhooked strapless lip bashing it is obvious that the sport can be as varied as we are. Doesn't bother me what you choose to ride. From Flysurfer to C kite and everything in between. There is no right there is no wrong, but there is common sense and clearly as the sport evolves we start to see a set of norms appear with all kinds of standard deviations. In waves a surfboard is simply common sense and it is born out by the numbers of them in predominantly wave spots.

Why directional? Because to a growing mass of riders it just makes sense. If you are not into it, thats fine, but it is clear that an overwhelming number of riders are.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Why directional
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:34 pm 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:59 pm
Posts: 21
Location: england
agree with last post, everyone is different, rides differently and prefers different feel and ability in all the areas,
for me a TT is best right now as it is easiest to learn on, i feel a lot more agile than on a SB,
the argument about the TT being a compromise is useless as the whole idea of it is to be ale to throw it around go both ways, twist and go big,

also i have caught guys that have been on SB with my TT,
so its all about how you ride and what you prefer the feel of.

ive got 5.8 bunny SB, not very good at it yet but that will come because of my increasing ability in the waves.

so my advice would be to try as many boards as possible. that will be your only way in finding the right feel for you.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Why directional
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:07 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Posts: 5637
Location: Denmark
janaeo wrote:
agree with last post, everyone is different, rides differently and prefers different feel and ability in all the areas,
for me a TT is best right now as it is easiest to learn on, i feel a lot more agile than on a SB,
the argument about the TT being a compromise is useless as the whole idea of it is to be ale to throw it around go both ways, twist and go big,

also i have caught guys that have been on SB with my TT,
so its all about how you ride and what you prefer the feel of.

ive got 5.8 bunny SB, not very good at it yet but that will come because of my increasing ability in the waves.

so my advice would be to try as many boards as possible. that will be your only way in finding the right feel for you.


I dont understand this expression you write: "also i have caught guys that have been on SB with my TT" ???

Do you mean you are faster ? Dont make sense, as everyone knows that a TT is faster than a waveboard....

And no, I can not see that the argument of a TT being a compromise is not relevant (useless) - as this thread was about WHY the use of a directional in waves 8)

And here a "compromise" board that sucks at gliding, sucks at white water floater ability, sucks at cutbacks, sucks at "driving" bottom turns, sucks at upwind ability - seems totally out of the place :o

:D PF


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Why directional
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:45 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm
Posts: 2481
Location: The Naki
Peter_Frank wrote:
janaeo wrote:
agree with last post, everyone is different, rides differently and prefers different feel and ability in all the areas,
for me a TT is best right now as it is easiest to learn on, i feel a lot more agile than on a SB,
the argument about the TT being a compromise is useless as the whole idea of it is to be ale to throw it around go both ways, twist and go big,

also i have caught guys that have been on SB with my TT,
so its all about how you ride and what you prefer the feel of.

ive got 5.8 bunny SB, not very good at it yet but that will come because of my increasing ability in the waves.

so my advice would be to try as many boards as possible. that will be your only way in finding the right feel for you.


I dont understand this expression you write: "also i have caught guys that have been on SB with my TT" ???

Do you mean you are faster ? Dont make sense, as everyone knows that a TT is faster than a waveboard....

And no, I can not see that the argument of a TT being a compromise is not relevant (useless) - as this thread was about WHY the use of a directional in waves 8)

And here a "compromise" board that sucks at gliding, sucks at white water floater ability, sucks at cutbacks, sucks at "driving" bottom turns, sucks at upwind ability - seems totally out of the place :o

:D PF

a foam core sb is also a compromise for kiting. it only goes one way! massive compromise. is to stiff and harsh in chop... another compromise. is unweildy in the air,,, another compromise. is weaker and snaps more easily another compromise...big fins get smashing off riding the shallows... another compromise... doesn't easily fit in my car....my goodness surfboards are so limiting why would anyone use one?

See... there are many ways to look at the same thing. for me the advantage of slightly better performance on the wave is paled into comparison with all the limitations and compromises of a sb over a TT or mutant style board.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Why directional
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:58 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:47 pm
Posts: 2548
plummet wrote:

a foam core sb
it only goes one way!
massive compromise.

doesn't easily fit in my car....


I fell like i am compromising when i drive to work...can't they build bi-directional cars
I wish my car could go real fast both ways equally...it would match my bipolarity

....................................................... :rollgrin: :runaway: .........................................................................


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Why directional
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:08 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:08 pm
Posts: 400
Location: Venice, Florida
plummet wrote:
a foam core sb is also a compromise for kiting. it only goes one way! massive compromise. is to stiff and harsh in chop... another compromise. is unweildy in the air,,, another compromise. is weaker and snaps more easily another compromise...big fins get smashing off riding the shallows... another compromise... doesn't easily fit in my car....my goodness surfboards are so limiting why would anyone use one?

See... there are many ways to look at the same thing. for me the advantage of slightly better performance on the wave is paled into comparison with all the limitations and compromises of a sb over a TT or mutant style board.


That's pretty much how I feel about it. Wouldn't knock those who would use them, but I think they are too limiting outside of pure wave riding or going for distance. No such thing as riding blind on a directional, and the thought of taking care not to snap off 8 inch fins on the beach, or the car, or a rock, or the shallows. :-?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Why directional
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:05 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm
Posts: 2481
Location: The Naki
SupaEZ wrote:
plummet wrote:

a foam core sb
it only goes one way!
massive compromise.

doesn't easily fit in my car....


I fell like i am compromising when i drive to work...can't they build bi-directional cars
I wish my car could go real fast both ways equally...it would match my bipolarity

....................................................... :rollgrin: :runaway: .........................................................................




skateboards, snowboards, landboards, wakeboards,,, all multi directional beasts... your argument is moot.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Why directional
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:09 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:49 am
Posts: 386
not all snowboards
besides the OP asked why directional in the WAVES


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Thor SFBay and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group