Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Toby, how about some trick walkthroughs, tips and tricks?

Forum for kitesurfers
Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Toby, how about some trick walkthroughs, tips and tricks?

Postby Flight Time » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:39 am

I have been following your Airstyle thread and being duly impressed by the little peeks you give us into the making of your DVD. As you know, probably the vast majority of us can pretty much go back and forth and jump, maybe do some rolls and miscellaneous grabs and stuff.

Ever thought of a "trick of the week" thread where you give us a detailed look at what goes on in a trick? It would be a good way to stoke people up about getting out on the water and doing something new. I was browsing the "how to" section, and there were very few tricks that had any video, and those that did were mainly clips of the Progression series or some other random video.

What would be cool is to expand on that, have video of you performing the move once in real time, once in slow motion, with audio commentary as it's going down. Each week, you could start a thread with the trick of the week, starting with mild, and progressing towards wild. Maybe locked, like the Airtime thread, or you could leave it open to debate, questions, and the occasional troll like 2 hawt, may he burn in exile. :lol:

You will have all the video clips from the Airtime DVD project. I don't know if there would be any way to start a how to thread that requires a subscription to get in, and access could be granted by the purchase of your DVD. That might help out your sales quite a bit, at the same time. :idea:

What say you? :D

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Toby, how about some trick walkthroughs, tips and tricks

Postby Toby » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:50 am

thank you, but we already plan on doing so!
A weekly trick will be published, with info on how to do it.
Not sure if it will be a how to trick video, since this requires a lot more work, but showing the trick plus steps on how to do it will work for sure.

Posted on a youtube channel, and on KF of course.

Enough footage for 10 years ;-)

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:03 am

Toby wrote:thank you, but we already plan on doing so!
A weekly trick will be published, with info on how to do it.
Not sure if it will be a how to trick video, since this requires a lot more work, but showing the trick plus steps on how to do it will work for sure.

Posted on a youtube channel, and on KF of course.

Enough footage for 10 years ;-)
That will be fun!!!
At all kite spots worldwide people will be doing the same old school trick again and again until they nail it...hehe
I hear the conversation already: "eh, you a Kiteforum reader too?!"
8)

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Skyway Bridge North
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:22 am

Toby wrote:Not sure if it will be a how to trick video, since this requires a lot more work, but showing the trick plus steps on how to do it will work for sure.
A how-to doesn't have to be a big production, it would take about 10 minutes per video. Simply play the video once at normal speed, then once at 1/5th speed, with an audio commentary in place of the sound. You wouldn't need to embed text in the video that way.

Something like "Go in with a lot of speed. Right here, pop off the water, starting a back rotation. Reach down with your lead hand, and grab the board here. Spot your landing and stop your rotation. Land pointed slightly downwind. The most critical thing to remember about this trick is to (such and such)."

Easy as pie. Name the steps as they appear, and comment about the hardest part, or things that might trip up a beginner towards the end. :D

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:36 am

Hey Toby forget my email just read your diary on airstyle so not ready until January.

unless I did read some while back we can prepurchase. ?

love what ya doing man. Oh I did ask you a few other questions you can answer if ya can be stuffed.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:11 am

Yes, you can already preorder on www.airstyle.tv for a special price.

I assume it will be two DVDs since we also add trailers for each section.
There goes another 10 grands...

Support needed!!!

Thx!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:42 pm

Toby wrote:Yes, you can already preorder on www.airstyle.tv for a special price.

I assume it will be two DVDs since we also add trailers for each section.
There goes another 10 grands...

Support needed!!!

Thx!

Just preordered. Come on guys support this!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:15 am

No disrespect - as the tricks are super difficult, true - so dont get me wrong here :thumb:

But the airstyle tricks are almost ONLY just about board off tricks, correct ?

Which are very rare to see, and not used really nowadays :roll:

That could be the reason why it has not gotten "bigger" than it is, and has diminished instead to almost never seen - as it is an extremely small niche from the past :wink:

Just an objective view from someone who loves oldschool - but find the board offs to be too specialized and not very common nor overall agility :naughty:

:D Peter

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:52 am

There is virtually no airstyle going on here. but there was an out of town guy punching big air yesterday. he wasn't doing board offs or rotations. but he had a swagger in the air doing some tweaked grabs and things. it definately looked cool.

I definately have no style.

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Skyway Bridge North
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:59 am

Peter_Frank wrote:No disrespect - as the tricks are super difficult, true - so dont get me wrong here :thumb:

But the airstyle tricks are almost ONLY just about board off tricks, correct ?

Which are very rare to see, and not used really nowadays :roll:

That could be the reason why it has not gotten "bigger" than it is, and has diminished instead to almost never seen - as it is an extremely small niche from the past :wink:

Just an objective view from someone who loves oldschool - but find the board offs to be too specialized and not very common nor overall agility :naughty:

:D Peter
I didn't see the video that way. It was "weighted" towards board offs, to be sure, but there were also surface tricks and other stuff in there.

I am of the opinion that a huge boost with a stylish board off has much more of a wow factor to anyone not connected to the sport witnessing it than anyone shredding a wave, or sliding on a rail, or "spazzing out" in some sort of epileptic seizure of technical handle passes and flippy tricks. That was what got me into the sport to begin with. If I ever do a handlepass, it will be in conjunction with a huge floaty boost, and it will be performed at such a pace as to stylishly showcase that move, and not to try to squeeze together 12 spins, 5 flips, 4 grabs and 3 handlepasses into a relatively low, unimpressive jump, ending in riding blind on slack lines and a scrample to awkwardly pull the bar in such a way as try to get the kite to not hindenburg.

I mean, I applaud the agility and technical expertise required for these moves, and I tip my hat to those that can manage it, but it carries absolutely zero interest for me.

I am a relative newcomer to the sport, having only 2 years on the water, so chronlogically, I should be all about the flips and bar passes, but I think the old school moves are much cooler. In my experience, watching the reactions of passerbys on the shore, big air and style beats any low flippy pop move in mass appeal hands down.

Watch Dimitri's Epic Attack 4 video:

and watch him fly over islands and sh-t and tell me that's not cool. :lol:
1:13-1:30? 1:39? 2:00? 3:04-3:30? 5:17? 7:30? 8:57-9:14? That is pure, distilled badass. :thumb:

If Toby's video was nothing but 2 hours of huge air, tweaked grabs and boardoffs, I would be thrilled. :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”