Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why directional

Postby plummet » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:18 am

taut... your board is sexual.

my local is about 80% directionals..... 1 mutant me. the rest TT's.

I agree with Westoz. I think the majority of guys on SB's are doing so not because they are hardened surfers looking for a surflike feel. they are following the pack and doing what is commonly done. Dudes that take both TT and SB to the beach and constantly chop and change between the 2 are probably prime canditates for mutant riding.

The next mutant design is already permiating in my brain.... it will be better again and morphe the gap between TT and directional into one glorious (for me) mutation.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:11 am

plummet wrote:...
I agree with Westoz. I think the majority of guys on SB's are doing so not because they are hardened surfers looking for a surflike feel. they are following the pack and doing what is commonly done...
That's offensive and somewhat arrogant. Perhaps people made their own decision and decided what they like to ride.
Dudes that take both TT and SB to the beach and constantly chop and change between the 2 are probably prime canditates for mutant riding.
It depends on their riding skill. Where I ride you see some guys turn up with a surfboard or a raceboard and a TT. They try the directional for a while but haven't mastered the skills so they give up and switch to the TT. Perhaps they need to spend more time on their TT and develop the skills needed to ride a directional. (toeside and foot swapping). Many eventually master the directional and continue, or not.

Mutants are probably an ideal choice for a lot of people unfortunately there are very few mutants on the market and very little chance of getting a test ride on any of them. I am a bit hesitant to spend money on a mutant to find I don't love it. I have tested a few boards that I have hated (including one mutant). I have offered to buy a Cardboard on a money back satisfaction deal but they won't do it.

Given that the topic is "Why directional" it is worth pointing out that not all directionals are surfboards or raceboards. My favourite directional is a 5'4", thruster fish, about 19" wide with zero rocker or vee. It rocks in light wind, goes upwind better than anything that is not a raceboard, and is blisteringly fast through chop. It is light as a feather and stands up to really big jumps. It's ok in the surf but not fantastic because it is too fast and has not enough rocker for linked turns in the pocket.

A directional made for the surf will turn well but is typically slow and performs poorly upwind because it has too much rocker and maybe too narrow. You need to get a board that does what you want it to do, and have the skills to use it.

While we're at it, the joys of your TT or mutant are also irrelevant. The question is "Why directional". The answer is "Because it's fun and I like it." We all know how much fun TT are. If you want to ride a directional ... ride a directional. Lots of people have and seem happy to continue doing it.
Last edited by OzBungy on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:11 am

This new shape from firewire looks like the offspring of a surfboard and a twin tip. :o

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/surfb ... d=vanguard

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:14 am

plummet wrote:
skateboards, snowboards, landboards, wakeboards,,, all multi directional beasts...
Strapped tow-in surfboards, strapped kitesurfboards, strapped windsurfboards....
....on a Wave the size of JAWS....all directional Predators :winner2:

Maybe the Titanic.. could have avoided that pesky iceberg....if the design was bi-directional :lol:

To go on the water and be "multi-directional" in design..... :-?
...wouldn't the board have to be "round".. :idea:
.....to be ridden in "all" directions :rollgrin:

.......surf: once on a wave we ride in one direction..no changing our mind and ride back up :surf:

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Brent4336 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:21 am

Westozzy wrote:Most people are sheep, true. Probably why 90 percent use directionals now maybe in our part of the world, the other 9.9 percent on other types, 0.1 on modern mutants. Whose the sheep here?

You lone wolf you!

BTW I had this one built back in 06. Sold it a couple years later as it just wasn't the ride in waves that my SB was. If your .01 percent of the population and you have a killer idea it will spread like wildfire. If not.... well your still only .01 percent. Mutant are actually at an all time low compared to when they were actually in the production lineup of a few of the industries major brands.

mutant.jpg

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:23 am

Brent4336 wrote:This thread is not titled, straps suck, or why straps, its why directional.

You can go with or without straps on your surfboard.

Its funny, you can complain about guys in boots looking down on you, or strapless guys not giving you the respect you might think you deserve, but I find the vast majority of kiters are in straps, and might just have an inferiority complex about it. Its probably tough when your having a tough time with the conditions and some guy is absolutely killing it in perfect control with nothing strapping him to his board.

Courses for horses, problem is most people are sheep!
Brent, I didn't really even read what you said, because I was kinda busy trying to figure out if your avatar pic is a vagina or some weird coral or something... :lol:

Pattiecannon
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Caba, Bilinga
Favorite Beaches: Belongil, Muddies, Caba.
Style: loose
Gear: Rev 2 2009 9m
Octane 2010 11m
TD 2 2008 12m
Griffin 2009 14m
Chopstick 149
Custom 2010 136

Postby Pattiecannon » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:12 am

SupaEZ wrote:
plummet wrote:
skateboards, snowboards, landboards, wakeboards,,, all multi directional beasts...
Strapped tow-in surfboards, strapped kitesurfboards, strapped windsurfboards....
....on a Wave the size of JAWS....all directional Predators :winner2:

Maybe the Titanic.. could have avoided that pesky iceberg....if the design was bi-directional :lol:

To go on the water and be "multi-directional" in design..... :-?
...wouldn't the board have to be "round".. :idea:
.....to be ridden in "all" directions :rollgrin:

.......surf: once on a wave we ride in one direction..no changing our mind and ride back up :surf:
TT 2010 136 custom - one sick board in the waves. I think SB producers will actually be looking at TT's and thinking 'How can we get our boards to do that!' ....... like riding both ways on the one waves, why not?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE

Postby plummet » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:24 am

OzBungy wrote:
I agree with Westoz. I think the majority of guys on SB's are doing so not because they are hardened surfers looking for a surflike feel. they are following the pack and doing what is commonly done...
That's offensive and somewhat arrogant. Perhaps people made their own decision and decided what they like to ride.
Dudes that take both TT and SB to the beach and constantly chop and change between the 2 are probably prime canditates for mutant riding.
Ok i'll rephrase. I think guys that switch between the TT and SB would really enjoy a modern mutant style board.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE

Postby plummet » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:26 am

iblocalsurfer wrote:This new shape from firewire looks like the offspring of a surfboard and a twin tip. :o

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/surfb ... d=vanguard
that does look cool. indeed.

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards

Postby chirojoseph » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

05112012114.jpg
been kiting 11 years. First board was a GORGE ANIMAL 6ft long carbon fiber topped twin tip monster. When the 169 Lightwave came out I couldnt BELIEVE how small it was! jajaja....many many twintips later I was lucky enough to try the first gen MAKO (the one with the Sharks on it..god knows why OR EVER changed those graphics!!??) and promptly bought it and have ridden it many years, many downwinders, on big and small waves.

If you gotta ride a twinny in the waves, it should definately be a MAKO or something similar. Cant say enough about the freedom to switch stance at the last second and rip the face off that chunky lip thats coming right at you!!..

BUT...all that being said...there is NO comparison to actually RIDING the wave on a directional with VOLUME. I agree with all the other posts here but I think the concept of VOLUME under your feet hasnt been emphasized enough. You just cannot carve up and down a sweet swell with little to zero kite power on a twinny without sinking in! If you just want to slice faces doing jibes all day then you can have good fun on a twin...and I do...but if you want the JOY OF SURFING without having to PADDLE for hours and hours, you just cant beat kiting on a directional.

Ive got an old LForce RAWSON 6ft2 thats taken the worst beatings you can imagine and have JUST invested in a brand new 5ft10 FIREWIRE HellFIRE thats super light and carvy and works just fantastic for our typical sideshore or onshore conditions.

What others said is true as well. You just cannot judge directional riding based on one days riding on some junky surfboard in flat water or crappy conditions. You have to put your time in, you have to WANT to experience it..watch a few videos with Mitu to get you stoked!

Good winds to ALL!!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”