Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Why directional

Postby Westozzy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:40 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Westozzy wrote:Most people are sheep, true. Probably why 90 percent use directionals now maybe in our part of the world, the other 9.9 percent on other types, 0.1 on modern mutants. Whose the sheep here?
Dont know where that is...

Here most are still using TT's :-?

But fortunately many are becoming aware of the advantages of directionals now, so a slow change is gradually coming it seems 8)

The major problem here, is to find someone to kite with - and most often out alone, as so few are into waves, and choose the low water TT instead :roll:

:D Peter

West coast of western australia mate

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:41 am

plummet wrote:taut... your board is sexual.

my local is about 80% directionals..... 1 mutant me. the rest TT's.

I agree with Westoz. I think the majority of guys on SB's are doing so not because they are hardened surfers looking for a surflike feel. they are following the pack and doing what is commonly done. Dudes that take both TT and SB to the beach and constantly chop and change between the 2 are probably prime canditates for mutant riding.

The next mutant design is already permiating in my brain.... it will be better again and morphe the gap between TT and directional into one glorious (for me) mutation.

Pay ya to make me one plummet!

Hey so new C4 then?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:51 am

[quote="chirojoseph"]
05112012114.jpg
been kiting 11 years. First board was a GORGE ANIMAL 6ft long carbon fiber topped twin tip monster. When the 169 Lightwave came out I couldnt BELIEVE how small it was! jajaja....many many twintips later I was lucky enough to try the first gen MAKO (the one with the Sharks on it..god knows why OR EVER changed those graphics!!??) and promptly bought it and have ridden it many years, many downwinders, on big and small waves.

If you gotta ride a twinny in the waves, it should definately be a MAKO or something similar. Cant say enough about the freedom to switch stance at the last second and rip the face off that chunky lip thats coming right at you!!..

BUT...all that being said...there is NO comparison to actually RIDING the wave on a directional with VOLUME. I agree with all the other posts here but I think the concept of VOLUME under your feet hasnt been emphasized enough. You just cannot carve up and down a sweet swell with little to zero kite power on a twinny without sinking in! If you just want to slice faces doing jibes all day then you can have good fun on a twin...and I do...but if you want the JOY OF SURFING without having to PADDLE for hours and hours, you just cant beat kiting on a directional.

I agree with what you have to say above. Nothing can beat a directional for riding good waves and actually get close to surfing. What I see though I too many riders riding in shit surf on a SB, when a mutant or TT is far more dynamic and yes fun. I see them go up and back and kind of trim onshore mush in my area and honestly it crossed my mind they might as well get on a pole!

But yes giving he right conditions I will pull out the SB strapless on the few days a year it is worth it. Question is do you get into to kiting to kite or to surf? But yes I do enjoy watching those work a SB given the right conditions, everyone is getting better and more vertical every year. Exciting really. But I got into kiting for power and air, the surf thing is really an afterthought or an added benefit. If I want to surf I will go and surf when there is no wind and great conditions, or SUP.

But when it blows it is air time brothers, use the vertical z plane I say.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:44 am

Westozzy wrote:
plummet wrote:taut... your board is sexual.

my local is about 80% directionals..... 1 mutant me. the rest TT's.

I agree with Westoz. I think the majority of guys on SB's are doing so not because they are hardened surfers looking for a surflike feel. they are following the pack and doing what is commonly done. Dudes that take both TT and SB to the beach and constantly chop and change between the 2 are probably prime canditates for mutant riding.

The next mutant design is already permiating in my brain.... it will be better again and morphe the gap between TT and directional into one glorious (for me) mutation.

Pay ya to make me one plummet!

Hey so new C4 then?
new c4 is a month away. back ordered. not good enough to sell my creations yet. Still experimenting. But if i come up with a robust design then yes. next mutant will have "kick" at the front like a snow board. or a small sb nose. I'm getting more forward and deeper angles on my toeside down the line bottom turns these days and can catch the edge on the front if I get too deep. I think i can design it so it cures the issue without sacrificing backwards riding.

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Brent4336 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Flight Time wrote:Brent, I didn't really even read what you said, because I was kinda busy trying to figure out if your avatar pic is a vagina or some weird coral or something... :lol:
Wow! not much experience with vaginas eh?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:42 pm

Westozzy wrote:
chirojoseph wrote:
05112012114.jpg
been kiting 11 years. First board was a GORGE ANIMAL 6ft long carbon fiber topped twin tip monster. When the 169 Lightwave came out I couldnt BELIEVE how small it was! jajaja....many many twintips later I was lucky enough to try the first gen MAKO (the one with the Sharks on it..god knows why OR EVER changed those graphics!!??) and promptly bought it and have ridden it many years, many downwinders, on big and small waves.

If you gotta ride a twinny in the waves, it should definately be a MAKO or something similar. Cant say enough about the freedom to switch stance at the last second and rip the face off that chunky lip thats coming right at you!!..

BUT...all that being said...there is NO comparison to actually RIDING the wave on a directional with VOLUME. I agree with all the other posts here but I think the concept of VOLUME under your feet hasnt been emphasized enough. You just cannot carve up and down a sweet swell with little to zero kite power on a twinny without sinking in! If you just want to slice faces doing jibes all day then you can have good fun on a twin...and I do...but if you want the JOY OF SURFING without having to PADDLE for hours and hours, you just cant beat kiting on a directional.

I agree with what you have to say above. Nothing can beat a directional for riding good waves and actually get close to surfing. What I see though I too many riders riding in shit surf on a SB, when a mutant or TT is far more dynamic and yes fun. I see them go up and back and kind of trim onshore mush in my area and honestly it crossed my mind they might as well get on a pole!

But yes giving he right conditions I will pull out the SB strapless on the few days a year it is worth it. Question is do you get into to kiting to kite or to surf? But yes I do enjoy watching those work a SB given the right conditions, everyone is getting better and more vertical every year. Exciting really. But I got into kiting for power and air, the surf thing is really an afterthought or an added benefit. If I want to surf I will go and surf when there is no wind and great conditions, or SUP.

But when it blows it is air time brothers, use the vertical z plane I say.
Regarding the emphasized text - here we apparently disagree completely, and I find almost the opposite to be true :o

A waveboard is able to give a much more dynamic feedback ALSO in small waves and mush IMO :thumb:

Actually, this is the reason why many has switched to kitesurfing and waveriding - because of the endless options for waveriding on a kitewaveboard, and it can be done almost everywhere anytime :naughty:

You dont need big waves...
You dont need peeling clean swell...
You dont need fully sideshore wind...
You dont need deep water...
You dont need loads of wind....

Why do you find a TT more dynamic ?
Is'nt it just the opposite and a waveboard is more dynamic ?

Or just what one likes that one finds most dynamic ?

With a waveboard you can go upwind much better than on a TT.
You can glide through lulls in the waves, much better.
You have way more "feel" in the cutback, even in small mushy waves and onshore, than on a TT.

I agree with you - that if it was about "SURFING" the wave only, it would not be good as often.
But trying to copy and get as close to surfing as possible is IMO very far from what kitewavesurfing is about :roll:
It is one part of it, for some or in some conditions - but it is all about playing around in the waves, having fun making tight or fast bottom turns, and cutbacks - or aerials - or just boosting insane sometimes - with lots of kitepower, or sometimes just using the glide of the board and no kitepower.
All is done best on a waveboard I think (when we are not talking full freestyle).

With a TT you would just slice around on the waves, and lose all the advantages listed - where a waveboard will give you a much wider range of use - so way more "dynamic" as I see it :rollgrin:

I sometimes go out on a TT, and after a while doing freestyle, I get bored and start making turns even in super small waves, so bottom turn - cutbacks.
And just WISH I had a waveboard instead, as there is absolutely no comparison to the good feel on such a board - even in small waves when you use more kitepower :wink:

So usually (actually every single time I use a TT) I ride back and change boards.

So for me, waveboards are NOT for surfing waves only - they are for "everything" but pure plain flat water.
Some like to do tricks on flat water too with waveboards - but I think a TT is more fun here, as you dont really get to use all the advantages of the waveboard much, in totally flat water - and lose the TT advantages :roll:

But as soon as there is even the smallest waves, you can use a waveboard with lots of fun and it makes totally sense IMO.
And you can also boost or do tricks on a waveboard - so a win win in these conditions.

In totally flat water, NOT, but otherwise, YES :naughty:

We are all different - but here we dont really see riders on TT's in waves :roll:
They prefer to find as flat water as possible.
And those liking waves, are using waveboards only now - no matter how the conditions are, as they are never FLAT of course, and even the smallest waves are awesome fun.

:D Peter

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:09 pm

Totally agree with the above. I think is quite nicely reflected in the new Naish Video where you see Robby Naish just doing this in small beackbreak waves in Alaska (carving, slashing, rotations).

For me the huge difference is the feel in the carve. Especially going full speed into frontside carve in a bottom turn or a gybe. That´s unmatched with a surfboard because of length, outline, rail volume and fins. It´s fun on TTs but different, always feeling a bit tea trayish and slippery (even riding a carving oriented TT like North X-Ride). It feels a lot better on Mutants ( I rode Naish Mutants and custom) but still not the same.

polarstorm
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sauble, Santa Rita, Valmitao
Favorite Beaches: Santa Rita, Valmitao
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha (little goat)
Been thanked: 0

Postby polarstorm » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:18 pm

Brent4336 wrote:..out if your avatar pic is a vagina
..yeah with whipping cream, takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Or maby its shaving cream..

In europe, if people see you riding the flat lagoon areas with a surfboard you get mocked.. I've seen it.. these are places that are predominantly kite-surfing.

"I see, said the blind man, to his deaf dog, and he picked up his hammer and saw".

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:04 am

Brent4336 wrote: Wow! not much experience with vaginas eh?
Comment of the week.

Or maybe in his experience vagina's wear sunglasses? I don't know.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:18 am

You can boost on a wave board? Maybe you and I have different definitions of boosting.

Return to “Kitesurfing”