kiteforum.com Iphone App now for free in App Store

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: kiteforum.com Iphone App now for free in App Store

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:00 pm

Laughingman wrote:Peter

Basically phones do not display forums well and are even harder to use to post. The advertising takes up too much space and links are hard to follow (click on) or the last post symbol are hard to use without constantly zooming in and out. Having clean text sized and formatted to fit the screen so that you can easily read it is fantastic.

Really no other benefit but ease of use.

Pete
Thanks Pete :thumb:

So you are basically saying it is because there are no keys (cursor) that it needs to be altered from the original format, to be easier to use on "keyless" devices ?

I got keys on all my phones (HATE touchscreens), so havent got that problem - thats why I did not know or think about it as an issue...

:D Peter

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:25 pm

well I am not sure having keys or not is really the issue. Even if the iPhone had keys the text of forum posts would be too small to read without zooming in and then you would have to keep adjusting the view to continue to read what did not fit on the page. The forum app re formats the post to fit the screen width with letters that are large enough to read without zooming... really that is all it does.... (its like turning on word wrap in "notepad")
For posting it seems to use the messages app format. simple clean, no emoticons etc... 14toeside will be disappointed...

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:31 pm

Laughingman wrote:Peter

Basically phones do not display forums well and are even harder to use to post. The advertising takes up too much space and links are hard to follow (click on) or the last post symbol are hard to use without constantly zooming in and out. Having clean text sized and formatted to fit the screen so that you can easily read it is fantastic.

Really no other benefit but ease of use.

Pete
but surely that is a matter of adapting. you can better IMO do that by just making sure that people with a smaller viewport get a different layout. If the site did that, all mobile devices would be covered, and Toby would not have to pay for "updates"...which will be needed whenever apple decides they want to change their api. If you are game developing an app is useless. Sorry I do not mean to be negative Toby, but I know so many companies that feel they have to have an app...but what they really need is a clean well made interface that adapts to the device used to view the information...
Make an inferface that is responsive to regular users instead. I would suggest putting your money into developing a good ,modern interface for the forum.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:41 pm

Kiteforum and pther phpbb sites work great on iphone4 without an app. I can't see why I would download something else? What does the app do to make life better for users or admins?

(Posted on my phone in Safari)

Jake

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:45 pm

Always good to get suggestions. I will look into it.

Thx!!!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:35 pm

For me as admin it doesn't help anything.

Just another tool o make it look simplier and easier to use for the ones who prefer it.

I use the normal site, but also because then I have the tools I need to do my work.

Seb, will have a look into it, It could be the ' above the e ... Maybe the app has problems with special letters...

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:40 pm

jakemoore wrote:Kiteforum and pther phpbb sites work great on iphone4 without an app. I can't see why I would download something else? What does the app do to make life better for users or admins?

(Posted on my phone in Safari)

Jake
the text of forum posts are too small to read without zooming in and then you would have to keep adjusting the view to continue to read what did not fit on the page. The forum app re formats the post to fit the screen width with letters that are large enough to read without zooming... really that is all it does.... (its like turning on word wrap in "notepad")
For posting it seems to use the messages app format. simple clean, no emoticons etc... 14toeside will be disappointed...

zsabev
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bulgaria, Turkey
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Phillipines
Cabarete, D.R.
Tarifa. Spain
Rhodoes, Greece
Limnos, Greece
Style: freestyle, wave
Gear: North
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby zsabev » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:37 pm

Perfect, it was about time to be released ;)
very nice :)

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:20 pm

Laughingman wrote:well I am not sure having keys or not is really the issue. Even if the iPhone had keys the text of forum posts would be too small to read without zooming in and then you would have to keep adjusting the view to continue to read what did not fit on the page. The forum app re formats the post to fit the screen width with letters that are large enough to read without zooming... really that is all it does.... (its like turning on word wrap in "notepad")
Really? I just flip my iphone 4s sideways into landscape mode and don't need to zoom in at all.

I tried the app out, it is ok I guess. I'm just used to reading full websites on my phone, and found the app kind of limiting. I don't have any issues with the text size or typing into the text boxes, most of the time I reply it is from my phone (while I'm at work :whistler:).

If you update the forum software (as in phpBB) there are a bunch that include mobile versions built in and also work with apps that already exist for all smartphones.

Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:02 am

Hey Toby. Great job for the first iteration of your app. I really like how simple and easy it is to post and read posts on the forum.

Great job!

Return to “Kitesurfing”