KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Postby KiteCulture » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:41 pm

why don't you buy a kite from the other 'E' company and see if you get anything in the mail. Went belly up a long time ago.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:51 pm

Geezus 14 pages. I quit reading after the first couple.

Most kite companies are guilty of using marketing jargon that isn't accurate or backed up by anything.

The term Bombproof is probably the biggest offender of this.

What was the original criticism? kiting in 2-4kts? who cares. its not like kiting in that little of wind on a SUP is actually fun. Sure they may make videos to try and convince you its fun but the reality is you are bored in the first few minutes if you are not immediately frustrated by how big of a PITA light wind kiting is.

Save the light wind days for taking the family out on a boat. A small sail boat is far cheaper and easier to manage and better in light winds then trying to operate a giant kite that will not relaunch. Not to mention you get a social aspect with these other activities that kiting often lacks. Better yet go catch some waves the old fashioned way, with a surfboard. Or go for a paddle on your SUP. If you're single go hit on girls or kick it with some friends.

Kiting is a sport best served on windy days.

kookfest
Medium Poster

Postby kookfest » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:11 pm

C Johnson wrote:Geezus 14 pages. I quit reading after the first couple.

Most kite companies are guilty of using marketing jargon that isn't accurate or backed up by anything.

What was the original criticism? kiting in 2-4kts? who cares. its not like kiting in that little of wind on a SUP is actually fun. Sure they may make videos to try and convince you its fun but the reality is you are bored in the first few minutes if you are not immediately frustrated by how big of a PITA light wind kiting is.

Save the light wind days for taking the family out on a boat. A small sail boat is far cheaper and easier to manage and better in light winds then trying to operate a giant kite that will not relaunch. Not to mention you get a social aspect with these other activities that kiting often lacks. Better yet go catch some waves the old fashioned way, with a surfboard. Or go for a paddle on your SUP. If you're single go hit on girls or kick it with some friends.

There are several problems with over-claiming ("2-4 knots") as far as I can see. The first is the claim itself. No kite will even fly in 2-4 knots, let alone drag along a standup paddle board. The second problem imo is that it sets unrealistic expectations about the overall performance of the kite because people think that if the kite can fly in 2-4 knots it must be amazingly well designed and therefore able to backup its claims about being fun under 8knots. I can guarantee the kites I'm associated with, that whatever design tweaks you do, kites simply won't fly in 2-4 knots and won't stay upwind under 8 knots on whatever board.

I agree that most companies are guilty of marketing spin. But "2-4" knots just goes too far. As does "fun" under 8 knots btw!

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby frankm1960 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:12 pm

HAHA!! I read all 14 pages... watched the videos too.

What's missing in the videos is a wind meter of sorts... like a GIANT mechanical type wind meter :)

As someone mentioned... stick in on a post... should be some old windsurfing masts kicking around down there by now.

Kite close to it so you get both kite and meter in the shot... it's not the be all end all but it would help the cause IMO.

Apparently winds can cruise above the surface so it's got to be elevated.

I can't believe I didn't see one meter in all the videos I watched.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:21 pm

frankm1960 wrote:
HAHA!! I read all 14 pages... watched the videos too.

As someone mentioned... stick in on a post... should be some old windsurfing masts kicking around down there by now.
:D Yeah i'm the one you said it.....the water is quite shallow in the Pamlico sound..at Infinity beach

Should be no problem having a wind meter over the water 12 meters :thumb: up

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:25 pm

this is just amazing, how just one post from PMU generates crappy meaningless discussion...

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:26 pm

kookfest wrote: people think that if the kite can fly in 2-4 knots it must be amazingly well designed and therefore able to backup its claims about being fun under 8knots.
I think the claim was fun in 6 to 12kts and stay in the air in 2-4kts... so if you're in 6 to 12 kts of wind you can have fun and if the wind drops to 2-4kts you probably won't have to watch it fall from the sky and relaunch :lol:

Wait for the reviews... these kites couldn't have gotten better press :)... and totally free.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:52 pm

Dimitri M wrote: Here is another video in light wind conditions with friends but this time it was blowing between (3 to 6 knots) max.on a big 11' SUP board.

Few days later, I took the same INFINITY v2 kite in less then 5 knots and had to swim back because the V2 had a hard time to stay up in the air as easy as the INFINITY v3 prototype in such light winds.

I am going to comment on that comment...because you tested on different days

The reason behind this is that you once had a very clear video at beach in supalight wind..(5kn)..
...with both kites V2-V3 up at the same time...and they both seems to stay up there equally well

So here it is....light winds may feel the same....but in reality they may not be for the kite up there

Over the years in LW i found there are 3 types...i call them solid..gradient..reverse gradient

Solid.... wind at 2m is "same" as at 30 meters high....water 5kn = 5kn sky

Gradient....wind at 2m is "less" than at 10 /20 / 30 meters high...water 5kn = 7kn/8kn/9kn

Reverse gradient..wind at 2m is "more" than at 30/20/10 meters...water 9kn+ = 8kn/7kn/5kn sky

So to draw a true conclusion......on low end..between 2 LW kites...
..it needs to be on the same day...and "actually at the very same time on the water"...
...by 2 skilled LW pilots on SUP'S...if it is ....really 5kn :wink:

That is the video we need...side by side in real time :thumb:

................................. :surf: :sun: ...am i making sense ?.................. :party1: :happybirthday: ............
Last edited by SupaEZ on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:12 pm

Who elected you hall monitor? It's a valid discussion.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:32 pm

Can someone please post the video and technical - wind meter results of a "very" light wind inflatable kite test of another brand - to show me what you all know and i have missed please...

Return to “Kitesurfing”