Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do I need to change kite size starting to ride a surfboard?

Forum for kitesurfers
gvironda
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Torbole, Garda Lake
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Lefkada, Capo Mannu, Naxos, Tuscany,
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Do I need to change kite size starting to ride a surfboard?

Postby gvironda » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:07 pm

Hi guys
I just bought my first directional, a Wam 5'10
I am 150lbs (70kg), and currently ride 9m and 12m EVOs, mainly in 12-20 knots conditions, mushy waves
I understand that with a directional I can downsize sooner (floats much better), and ride the 9mt also in 12-15 knots, but do I also loose high end?
Do I need to buy a 7mt, or can I still ride comfortably my 9 in 20-25 knots?
Thanks a lot!
Beppe

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Do I need to change kite size starting to ride a surfboa

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:51 pm

Most likely, YES, you will be happy with a 7m2 kite now, and you will need it.

You can not ride comfortably at all with a 9m2 in 20-25 knots of winds @ 70kg only, not even close !

I am 78kg, and ride a 7 in its "sweetspot" in 20-25 knots on a waveboard.

And as the EVO has huge amount of low end, I would definitely say that you need a 7m2.

Generally, you can say that you typically ride "one kite size" smaller on waveboards, in their sweetspot.

:D PF

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:23 pm

Peter is spot on with wind ranges at your weight,you have 2 great kites for wave riding,you will need a 7 or 6 i think 6 because evo has great low end,TONY

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:17 am

No, to start with. When you're beginning on a surfboard you will be bit uncoordinated and have trouble riding and staying powered and going where you want to go.

Once you get the skills together you will be able to drop one or two sizes. I often ride my 7m when other people are struggling to ride with12m kites.

Two issues will affect how you perform on a surfboard. Most people have their weight too far back. The nose of the board flops up and down and the board is half stalled. You need to load your front foot a lot more than you think and get your upper body weight lower and a bit more forward. It all gets easy once you get used to it.

A lot of pure surf boards have a lot of rocker and that makes them slow. You will feel the need for more power and find it difficult to go upwind. For riding in the surf you want the board to slow down to match speed with the waves and you want the extra rocker to fit your turns into the wave face.

As a beginner you will be unsteady on your feet if you swap feet on transitions, or you will stay on your toeside. Either way you will be happier with a bit of extra power to keep you up and to improve upwind performance.

Once you've developed the skills all this becomes a joy to do.

As far as losing high end, not really. Pure upper wind range is more about technique and knowing when to edge and when to go fast. The real problem is you get used to zooming around with a zippy little kite and you lose patience with a big kite lumbering around the sky. There is nothing better than doing a perfect carve onto a wave face with a small kite, and nothing worse than doing the carve and stalling because your big kite is only half way through the transition.

troutuna
Rare Poster
Local Beach: June Lake
Favorite Beaches: Cardiff
Style: Flat water wake
Gear: Naish cult

Postby troutuna » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:56 am

OzBungy summed it up perfectly. About riding technique. rocker, all is true.........

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:23 am

Do consider the Rebel 5m for hooked-in surfboard waveriding, it's a dream kite... not too zippy, super stable, excellent grunt and great depower, great upwind... when you depower on the wave face the kite is like it's not there.
I'm 90Kg and I'm very happy on it from 22-23 knots upwards...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:21 pm

Yes, Ozbungy made a good summary :thumb:

And he is right - when you LEARN to ride a directional, you need the same kite as on your TT, for starters.

But only untill you've learned, then you will typically go one size down for the sweet spot.

The upper end is not affected much really, but as soon as you get the hang of it, you wont ride deliberately in the upper end no more, ever, on a waveboard - as this will kill every chance for riding waves freely :roll:

By the way, a 7m2 is definitely not a "small" kite at all, and for 70kg on a waveboard when you've learned the ropes, it is actually at least a "medium" kite size.
4-5-6m2 is smaller kites, in waveriding terms.

As said many times, the most used kite size in waves is around 7-8m2 if you have changing wind conditions, for average weight 80-85kg riders.
Can be used in almost any conditions :naughty:

A 9 or 10m2 is considered big in waves, and most lighter than 75-80kg try to avoid to ride with this big size any way they can - so they prefer to be slightly underpowered on a 6-7-8m2 instead of riding with such a slow jumbo :o

This goes for spots with changing winds or low pressure areas, where you can wait for the right conditions - and particulary at wind driven wavespots.

But of course, at some spots where the wind is too "steady" and low, you havent got a choice :(

Still - as soon as you've learned to ride your Wam, you'll definitely need a 6 or 7m2 (especially when Evos) in 20-25 knots of wind, no doubt at all Beppe - when 70kg.

:D Peter

Dr Makani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI

Postby Dr Makani » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:22 pm

$.02

When you start a new board, your kite should be as big as a balloon - style doesn't matter, power does - you want to get UP and GOING and figure out your board. Style comes later.

Every board has its own dynamic: material, core, rocker, fins (quad, triple, twin, ...) and you need to learn what it takes to control your board. What happens on a TT in the back is happening on a SB more in the middle. SB don't 'edge' that well, they want to be steered from the back, yada, yada, ... so get your face wet and learn to know each other.

Once you acquaint your board, you can start playing with the kite and its size. Size depends GREATLY on mentioned board dynamic and how you ride it. Simple math like weight and wind speed won't do it. Sometimes I am overpowered with my 9m bolt while my 10.5 is just right.

For the moment keep your kites and go play

peace

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Postby prayfawind27 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:18 pm

I am 170 ride a 6ft Slingshot Coupe strapless and I haven't changed up my gear, I have a 9,11 and 16( haven't rode the 16 in ages) when the wind gets 25plus I shorten my lines from 22m to 15m with the 9m and it's cheese cake, I only ride the 11m with 15m lines how from 13-18knots.

Return to “Kitesurfing”