Local Beach: Wilmington, NC USA
Style: unknown yet
Gear: Looking to pick some up
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Charleston SC

Postby redman333 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:07 pm

Is anyone here near the charleston sc area? I'm planning a trip next summer There and I'd like to know where to go for some good kite spots.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Charleston SC

Postby Toby » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:15 pm

Charleston has sweet spots! When the SE comes...nice kicker waves!

Check location on www.splocs.com

DocDeuce
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP, Sullivans Island, Folly Beach

Postby DocDeuce » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:28 pm

There is a few of us on here from Chucktown. Where to go pretty much depends on the wind direction and what kind of water you want to kite, (ie. waves or flat water). the best for ocean and waves would be Isle of palms, 28.5 Sullivans Island and Folly beach. The only real flat water is the bath at 28.5 which is flat water area inbetween the sandbar and beach or 3rd ave on Isle of palms which is another sandbar. Side to side on wind would be NE to ENE and SW to S at these areas. If blows more north you would have to go to North end of Folly Island/Morris island. Make sure you hook up with a local kiter or kiteshop here before going out. There are rules and regulations at most of the launches and we dont want to lose our access.

DD

Ecoastprock
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Folly Beach, Charleston, South Carolina
Favorite Beaches: Pavones, County Park, North End, 28.5 & Moletrees
Style: Surf
Gear: Slingshot Globetrotter 4 10
5 8 Libtech Waterboard
5 8 Coil Industries

Postby Ecoastprock » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:52 pm

Charleston is a great kitesurf destination. In the summer we can easily get 4/7 days of SW wind 15-20 mph. The spots are all posted on the internet and it really just depends on what the wind is doing. If you are coming in the summer months be cautious of the people on the beach and especially when launching/landing. Do not zip in and out of tourists and kids swimming and dont cause a scene. There are not many rules or regulations yet so dont be the one that ruins it for everyone. With that being said the local kite community is great and there are a lot of helpful people around that can answer any questions you have. Have fun be safe and buy local while your in town!

redman333
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wilmington, NC USA
Style: unknown yet
Gear: Looking to pick some up

Postby redman333 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:39 am

Thanks for the i put guys. I dont know what kind of riding im going to want since i havent even gotten to kiteboarding once yet. Ill be learning this spring in the outer banks. Ill be in charleston towards to end of summer in august time frame. Ill have a few months practice by the time i get there but im sure ill still be new to the sport. As far as tourists and swimmers are concerned im pretty used to that and know to steer clear of them since my hometown is just north of charleston in wilmington. Most of the kiters here ride at wrightsville beach which is another tourist destination. I would just wait til the time was closer but i plan on making my reservations probably before i get to get up on a board this year so i wanted to get an idea of decent places to ride so i can make a halfway educated decision as where to reserve a place.

Ecoastprock
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Folly Beach, Charleston, South Carolina
Favorite Beaches: Pavones, County Park, North End, 28.5 & Moletrees
Style: Surf
Gear: Slingshot Globetrotter 4 10
5 8 Libtech Waterboard
5 8 Coil Industries

Postby Ecoastprock » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:43 pm

Try to stay at any of the beaches. Isle of palms, Sullivan's island or Folly beach. The biggest kite scene is on Sullivan's and IOP. A lot of the TT/flatwater guys stay on that side and basically everyone that rides on Folly rides surfboards/waves. There are a lot of great instructors in the area. If you are looking to get another lesson talk to Dan Floyd at Oli Nah on IoP or Bryan Shuck on Folly Beach. Give them a call if you have any more questions.

Return to “Kitesurfing”