Rare Poster
Local Beach: Peninsula Hel
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which kite should I buy ? I need help !

Postby rooseee » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:02 pm

Hello everyone!
At the beginning, I'd like to say hello - I'm new on the forum :)
Well, I started going kitesurfing in this year, and I really like it!
As you know I'm beginner and I think it's good time for buying my own kite, board and harness :)
There are a lot of brands which produce kites and boards. My question is - What make of kite should I choose ?
I'm thinking about North, Cabrinha, Ozone, Nobile..
I want to have well-built kite (I mean very good quality)
I always go freeride.
What do you think about Cabrinha Swichblade ? Is it well-built kite ?
I've read about North Evo 2013 recently and you are delighted of that one!:)
What about board ?
I'd like to buy something from Nobile, but their boards are a bit expensive.
I keep waiting for your answer :)
:D

gvironda
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Torbole, Garda Lake
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Lefkada, Capo Mannu, Naxos, Tuscany,
Gear: North

Re: Which kite should I buy ? I need help !

Postby gvironda » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:38 pm

Welcome to the forum!
I ride Evo and like them a lot, but I am sure that Cab SB works super well as well.
if you want to save some money, I would suggest you to buy second hand North Neo or RRD Vision, great 3 strut kites very easy to handle, great water relaunch and good build quality, and cheaper than Evo or SB
As of boards, Nobile 2HD or North x-ride are my favourites, butter in the chop and fun to carve
Have fun!

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:56 pm

Switchblade as always been a safe choice and the best part is that they are easy to resell if you dont like them. The only point was the bar pressure; this year the bar pressure is on the light side but previously it was heavy which isn't a bad thing when you start kiting as you really feel where the kite is and you also feel the power. The sb are also on the slow side so you wont send it in kiteloop by mistake. They jump great, have good hangtime, and are really stable in gusty wind. They also have tons of depower as long as you have long arms (just kidding).

As for nobile boards; they are expensive but they are really good boards. Before riding Shinn board I was riding an nhp and it was a great board. But since I started riding those shinn boards I am hooked; they are the smoothest boards I have ever tried in the chop. Lots of pop, great edge and a really smooth ride. Lots of people prefer the Monk but the supershinn is my favorite, it plans earlier and it is also smoother. The price are also pretty good for a top of the line board, cheaper than Nobile, Fone etc.... But hey; there are a lot of really good board out there. It all depends on what you want.

Have fun !
Jules

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:25 am

As a beginner it is a bit hard since you are not able to try kites and decide which suits you best. Best advice is to go for a major brand and try to get the best deal possible on a beginner/intermediate kite - there are alot of deals about. There are also alot of good second hand deals on hardly used kites from last year but you have to be careful and are best off getting an experienced kiter to inspect it before you buy if you can. I do not think the Switchblade is a good kite for a beginner. Evo is a good beginner kite.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:36 am

rooseee wrote:Hello everyone!
At the beginning, I'd like to say hello - I'm new on the forum :)
Well, I started going kitesurfing in this year, and I really like it!
As you know I'm beginner and I think it's good time for buying my own kite, board and harness :)
There are a lot of brands which produce kites and boards. My question is - What make of kite should I choose ?
I'm thinking about North, Cabrinha, Ozone, Nobile..
I want to have well-built kite (I mean very good quality)
I always go freeride.
What do you think about Cabrinha Swichblade ? Is it well-built kite ?
I've read about North Evo 2013 recently and you are delighted of that one!:)
What about board ?
I'd like to buy something from Nobile, but their boards are a bit expensive.
I keep waiting for your answer :)
:D
Roseee,
I would like you to have a look at the Switchkites website, and as you say you are a beginner your kite to have a look at is the Switch ELEMENT.

A very stable flying kite, very forgiving but will be a good partner when you improve your skills.
You were asking for good quality etc..
With quality Switchkites can compete with any other brand, finishing is top notch too
and a very important factor look at the prices, you will have enough money left to buy yourself a nice Nobile board...tested in Hel...was their old advertisement.
Hel a great pininsula and kitespot ! :thumb:

please have a look at
www.switchkites.com
http://switchkites.com/products/kites/element.html

have a look at the kite called ELEMENT
at the website you can see where there is a teamrider near you , to test a kite and see the finish and quality

good luck with your choise!!
pożegnanie :wink:
dude :cool2:

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:43 am

Switch Element is a great kite for a beginner in that it is very stable. My only hesitation on recommending it is the bar's safety does not offer 100% depower and so is more suited to intermediate riders and beyond.

saltire
Medium Poster

Postby saltire » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:01 am

Rooseee I take it that you had lessons ? if so then what kind of kites did you learn on if you liked them then why not purchase that brand .Did your instructor not give you any pointers on what to purchase .
Ok so you have never had lessons then no harm in asking on here but opinions are very varied as people like the particular brand they fly , go to your local kite spot and ask the locals see what other beginners are using .

Chickenwing504
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mississppi gulf coast
Gear: 13m switch element

Postby Chickenwing504 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:29 am

UKSurf wrote:Switch Element is a great kite for a beginner in that it is very stable. My only hesitation on recommending it is the bar's safety does not offer 100% depower and so is more suited to intermediate riders and beyond.
I learned on the element, and have had no problems with the quick release depower. I've had to pull it before, twice. Once on a landing gone wrong, and after I pullled it, my kite tumbled directly downwind of me, but never dragged me nor did I lose my balance. The other time was I couldn't go upwind and got too close to some rocks, so pulled it so I could wrap my lines and walk out. I feel that the elements safety is adequate for any one, as long as they are trained on what to do in a bad scenario.

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:06 am

UKSurf wrote:I do not think the Switchblade is a good kite for a beginner. Evo is a good beginner kite.
Nothing wrong with the Switchblade for a beginner. It eats gusts, isn't too fast to handle, and has an all around good freeride feel, and isn't half bad in waves. Plus as his skill improves, he won't be looking for a better intermediate kite. A tiny bit harder to relaunch than some of the others, and a bit expensive, but nothing is perfect.

dawind
Rare Poster
Gear: Zian Aquila 10m, 12m, 14m
Crazyfly 127cm, 136cm

Postby dawind » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Go for 3-strut design. Stay away from Switch, they are not good beginner kites (no offense Switch guys but know your boundaries, I'm all for inexpensive kites, but this guy is not an advanced rider)

Return to “Kitesurfing”