Forum for kitesurfers
droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Re: GoPro 3 - fogging?

Postby droffats » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:26 pm

The strips work excellent. But they do need to be recharged by baking them. A fellow kiter around here is some type of hydrologic engineer and he had to do the same thing all the time with desiccant strips on his equipment.

In Hood River it was so dry I never needed them on my GP2. At home, I need them all the time. 5 minutes in the oven and they are good to go.

The putting the camera itself in the fridge is because modern refrigerators dehumidify the air inside of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYuwqk7D8Kc

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:55 pm

I've tried the strips and they don't work worth a crap. At least for any of the places I've kited with the GoPro. (Hatteras, Bahamas, The UP, Wisconsin, etc.) I was ready to throw my GP in the fricken trash. That thing ruined more footage and just pissed me off. I'm convinced it's not location/humidity, but some of the housings were bad. I talk to some guys that never have the fogging, then myself and others have nothing but issues. :evil:

So last ditch effort, this fall I did buy the GoPro dive housing while in Hatteras. I haven't had ANY fogging issues whatsoever. I used it all week. Then while home I used it kiting in November on Lake Superior and mountain biking in 25f degrees and I haven't had any fog. I now officially like my GoPro again!

So I can't answer Tob's question on the GP3 fogging, but the 3 has a lens shape/style that looks more similar to the dive housing's. I'm hoping this resolves the fog issue.

If GoPro would like to send me a Hero 3 Black Edition to "test" I'd be happy to!
I need that WiFi and remote!!!

Phil
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Famara
Gear: Naish Slash 2017 9m & 7m, Firewire Vader 5'3, HB Lafayette 5'10
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Phil » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:40 am

The addition of the Wifi bacpac & remote to my HD1 has fixed the fog issue for me.
With this setup, you just need to remotely switch off the cam on a regular basis (5 mn off every 20mn for instance)
By applying this simple tip you can take pic or movies without any fog for hours... :thumb:
Just my 2c

Phil
Have Fun & Ride Safe

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:02 am

follow the instructions.

cannot comment on hero 3 but this works for hero HD 2 hero HD hero 960p and Hero.

preheat oven to 300-350F with a cookie sheet in the oven already.

put two strips on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes after the oven is preheated.

immediately put the strips in the camera case and seal the camera up. Do not let them cool off first.

This works every time for me but I must stress that you have to do this EVERY TIME YOU USE THE CAMERA.

Also if the strips have been sitting in the camera for several days you will need to reheat them again regardless of if you used the camera or not.

Polycarbonate (what the camera housing is made of) absorbs moisture. The strips will soak up most of this but if the strips are already saturated the case will fog as soon as the camera is on long enough to heat the moisture inside to a point of condensing on the lens.

Hope this helps.

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:46 am

If this hasn't already been said, do make sure you clean the o-rings, and make sure there is no sand or salt encrusted on them. Letting the camera sit in the sink in fresh water for a while after using the camera helps to avoid this. A dab of silicone lube to the o-ring will keep it in good condition and help keep out water that might be seeping past the ring, and humidifying the inside of the case. Also examine the pass-through button o-rings for signs of grit and get in there with some lube.

If the strips are not working, there is some seepage going on, without a doubt. I use my GoPro 2 in Florida, the humidity capital of the friggin world, and I never had an issue or needed strips.

Another issue that can cause fogging is taking the camera out of your air conditioned car into a warm environment.

Also you can treat the inside of the lens with Rain-X Anti Fog, which you can find at Wal-Mart or any auto chain store. Normal Rain-X works great for the outside of the lens, so you don't get that water drop that hangs in the middle of the shot through 20 minutes of video. It's great for your sunglasses, too. :thumb:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:07 am

What I have tried...

Anti-fog strips & sprays, blasting the case with cold (dry) air from the car a/c and even putting a piece of chamois on the back door.
Mixed results. Sometimes good, sometimes bad, sometimes bearable.

Other guys store the camera & case in a plastic bag with desiccant then add the strips and a/c blast the case and camera and claim it works. For all that bloody effort, it makes it an annoying gizmo to use...

I bought a Contour ROAM2 recently, should arrive today. Waterproof enough that it won't need a bloody case and shouldn't fog!!!

If it wasn't for the fog, I would have bought a GoPro3 :nono:

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:11 am

Kamikuza wrote:What I have tried...

Anti-fog strips & sprays, blasting the case with cold (dry) air from the car a/c and even putting a piece of chamois on the back door.
Mixed results. Sometimes good, sometimes bad, sometimes bearable.

Other guys store the camera & case in a plastic bag with desiccant then add the strips and a/c blast the case and camera and claim it works. For all that bloody effort, it makes it an annoying gizmo to use...
All that crap is not necessary. I bet you have a seepage problem. Try cleaning and lubing the o-rings and Rain-X Anti Fog. I bet you it solves the issue.

zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:06 am

POACHER wrote: , but the 3 has a lens shape/style that looks more similar to the dive housing's. I'm hoping this resolves the fog issue.
Also what I had in mind. HD2 was fogging just on the lens, and ussually just from one side, because it is quite exposed bacause of it's spherical shape. If I have it on a tripod (stationary) it is fogging on the upwind side. Otherwise in the winter can get really nasty.
New lens shape could be a + in fogging issue.

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:29 am

Hi. Poacher I've a question for you. Does the Go Pro Dive Housing reduce the field of view? Thanks in advance.
Best regards.
Carlo

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:45 am

I have cured this by packing tissue around the edge of the camera and at the back and blasting the case and camera with a hairdryer before closing. Rain x on the front of the lens sorts out the droplets a treat.

Return to “Kitesurfing”