Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: GoPro 3 - fogging?

Postby Toby » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:46 pm

good advice on the drop issue.
But what if you don't have rain X...anything I have at home that I could put there?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:21 pm

Flight Time wrote:All that crap is not necessary. I bet you have a seepage problem. Try cleaning and lubing the o-rings and Rain-X Anti Fog. I bet you it solves the issue.
I'll get that done and give it a shot!
... but is it the o-ring cleaning/lubing that's solving your problem or the Anti-Fog? That's the issue with so many people's solutions - they're doing more than one thing at a time and saying just one of the methods is the secret :(

I found Rain-X on the outside lens would collect the dirt in the water, so I'd have water free shots but grubby pictures :angryfire:

Contour's turn now...

cubemonkey
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby cubemonkey » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:05 pm

I have had good success with the anti-fog inserts. If you use them properly, and don't open the case once you're out near the water, all seems to be fine.

I went with a cheaper solution from http://www.nofoginserts.com, they seem to be exactly the same things as GoPros, (I've used those too).

I've had mixed results with rain-x, all in all its just hard to tell if its the product working or if your just having a no fog type day.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:12 pm

haiku wrote:Hi. Poacher I've a question for you. Does the Go Pro Dive Housing reduce the field of view? Thanks in advance.
Best regards.
Carlo
Carlo,

No I don't think it's really changed the fov. It seems to have taken a little of the "fish eye" effect out of it.
eytan wrote:yes they didn't solve the problem yet. :angryfire:

see from 3.30 the silver
That sucks eytan........If I drop another $400 for the Hero 3 Black and it fogs, GP is gonna get it back in 100 pieces. That is unacceptable. $400 for a "waterproof" camera that fogs in 10 minutes? Sure...........you can play with the little strips, wipe down the gaskets, blow up your house playing amateur chemist working on a magical anti-fog, stand on your head for 2 hours in the refrigerator and pray it doesn't fog. For me, I'm wayyyyy too lazy to fart around with another piece of equipment that might not work. It's just not worth it.
I find that really disappointing that the 3 fogs.

Anyone with a Contour have fogging issues?

stringy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: seattle, wa
Style: freeriding

Postby stringy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:53 am

from my experience, Contours don't have the fogging issue.
as for the gopro cameras, I've had some great success with a polarizer product. the guys at hawaiian island surf and sport in maui told me about the polarizer lens that doesn't advertise it as an antifog product but it does prevent the fogging. I tried it in maui on my most recent trip and was amazed that it kept the housing from fogging. at the time I did not use any other method of anti fogging

http://www.polarprofilters.com/shop/gop ... er-filter/

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:22 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Flight Time wrote:All that crap is not necessary. I bet you have a seepage problem. Try cleaning and lubing the o-rings and Rain-X Anti Fog. I bet you it solves the issue.
I'll get that done and give it a shot!
... but is it the o-ring cleaning/lubing that's solving your problem or the Anti-Fog? That's the issue with so many people's solutions - they're doing more than one thing at a time and saying just one of the methods is the secret :(

I found Rain-X on the outside lens would collect the dirt in the water, so I'd have water free shots but grubby pictures :angryfire:

Contour's turn now...
No one thing is the ticket. The anti-fog rain-x will stop the fogging right away, but the cause of the fogging I think in your case is seepage.

I have never had a problem with it. When I first bought my H2, I put silicone lube on the o-rings and anti-fog on the inside of the lens, and I can load the case at the beach and still not get any fogging at all. Look at your button o-rings carefully and make sure you can't see any sand or grit trapped in there.

Fill up a 5 gallon bucket with water and put the empty sealed case in the bottom. Better yet, trap it at the bottom of a swimming pool for half an hour and check for any moisture inside. See where it's coming from.

mike holmes
Medium Poster

Postby mike holmes » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:56 am

Seems that all the solutions are too much of a hassle...
Anyone know about Contour fogging problems ?

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Postby prayfawind27 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:03 pm

I've just bought my de fogging strips haven't had a chance to use them yet but from all these post I am afraid, if they don't work I will be selling all my go pro shits, put in oven, spray on this spray on that, try this, try that, that's way to much hassle just for a couple of hours of recording that will turn into couple of minutes after editing,

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:23 pm

Maybe gopro should offer a bigger housing, which will have more air inside, so it takes longer to heat it up?

And why does it fog right at the lense? Maybe do in the back of the housing a part which would attract the fogging, so the front stays clear?

Return to “Kitesurfing”