14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How to Stop Go Pro Line mount shaking

Postby Flight Time » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:06 pm

Agreed, having the camera line mounted solves the whole 10,000 miles away thing, but creates a jiggly picture thing. Nothing looks good from the kite's perspective but scenery. Even a giant boost looks unimpressive. Maybe they need a gyroscopically stabilized case for mounting the GoPro in places with high vibration or excessive movement.

dawind
Rare Poster
Gear: Zian Aquila 10m, 12m, 14m
Crazyfly 127cm, 136cm

Postby dawind » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:00 pm

Good tips on this thread, thx guys :thumb:

stringy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: seattle, wa
Style: freeriding

Postby stringy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:36 am

janaeo wrote:anyone using a contour, post ya vid, wana see the vid quality.
ive just bought a contour roam 2 (blue) line mount head mount etc,
cant wait to get on the water and try it out.
here is a vid from this afternoon's session.
conditions were 7m, I use a custom bar where I can have the split about 10 feet away. this distance IMO is the best position for the POV camera. I filmed this with a contour roam2 (this was an early prototype, however I have the current firmware upgrade) I actually had camera setting to 720 resolution at 60 fps. no need to use this setting unless you want to slow down the video.
anyhow the contour films nice, but tough to beat the hero3 for crispness.
I stand by my word that the contour roam is the best POV camera to use for line mount footage.
I say this because it does not require a housing. therefore this makes the camera lightweight, sleek, and will never fog up. keep in mind the lens can get scratched, water can bead up and make your image blurry, but this happens with all other POV cameras.

ChristoffM
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan and Cape Town.
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in the Cape, South Africa.
Style: Hydrofoils! (And surf and old school)
Gear: Cape Town Foilboard and Spotz hydrofoils.
Any kite that can keep up with the hydrofoils.
Brand Affiliation: Cape Town Foilboards

Postby ChristoffM » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:33 am

having the cam on the kite, you cannot tell the size of the surf and you cannot see the rider, you cannot record what your eyes are seeing, so what is the point? personally above the head and above the depower/power straps are the best place.
Which one of the below pictures you rather have in your kite photo collection
If I could narrow the view down 50% then I would choose the bottom picture (kite mount). To see the wave height even clearer simply fly the kite lower. No nauseating shaking, no lines in the middle of the view. But yeah, the line mount picture is an awesome place if we could just solve the shaking problem completely.

Are there cameras like the GoPro but with much narrower field of view? What was the camera and field of view you used for the bottom picture?

stringy
Medium Poster

Postby stringy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:01 am

ChristoffM wrote:
If I could narrow the view down 50% then I would choose the bottom picture (kite mount). To see the wave height even clearer simply fly the kite lower. No nauseating shaking, no lines in the middle of the view. But yeah, the line mount picture is an awesome place if we could just solve the shaking problem completely.

Are there cameras like the GoPro but with much narrower field of view? What was the camera and field of view you used for the bottom picture?
here's the deal, when I originally set out to design a kite line mount, I was merely looking at being able to take stills using one of the early generation gopros. these were not HD capable at the time so I never focused on anything but doing stills. once the HD was released I started using the same mount for videos. I knew the video footage quality would suffer but the mount still worked.
I eventually redesigned the mount to be efficient for doing video. this is the new line mount that is available on preorder through camrig.com
so there are a number of things that help it film video more stable.
the weight of the gopro camera plus housing has been exactly balanced so there is no need for any additional counterweights.
the line manager arms have been widened so this allows the camera to sit up slightly higher on the lines and this helps with minimal wobbling caused by having the mounting arms so narrow.
one last design criteria was the camera needed to be positioned in the correct orientation for video filming. all of these issues have been addressed with the new line mount.
and yes it does work for photos as well.

keep in mind that the gopro silver edition camera has 3 different field of view video settings. you can choose between narrow, medium, and wide. while in photo mode, there are 2 different settings available with wide and medium.
here is a quick edit that demonstrates the difference with the 3 FOV options. my apologies for the footage, I did not double check the camera position before going out so it shows the rider non centered with the frame. but it gives you a clear idea of the differences between the FOV.

Erlend M B
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Sideshore.no (Wainman Hawaii, Nobile, Crazy Fly)

Postby Erlend M B » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:49 am

Does the new mount work if you have the wifi-backpack on a hero 2?

stringy
Medium Poster

Postby stringy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:07 pm

Erlend M B wrote:Does the new mount work if you have the wifi-backpack on a hero 2?
camrig's new line mount works great with all premium back packs for both the hero and hero2 cameras.

it does not work yet with the hero3.

http://camrig.com/gopro-line-mount

Chickenwing504
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mississppi gulf coast
Gear: 13m switch element

Postby Chickenwing504 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:47 pm

Stringy, I congratulate you on being a photo-something-or-another genius. I saw that the line mount 2.0 is "exactly weight counterbalanced", does that mean it sinks with the float now? I've lost my camera, mount, and float before and was able to find it in the surf shortly after. I would like to know if this is still an option.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:12 am

Chickenwing504 wrote:Stringy, I congratulate you on being a photo-something-or-another genius. I saw that the line mount 2.0 is "exactly weight counterbalanced", does that mean it sinks with the float now? I've lost my camera, mount, and float before and was able to find it in the surf shortly after. I would like to know if this is still an option.
No, I think it means that the weight of the camera is centered between the lines, rather than dangling below it like the first version.

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Postby prayfawind27 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:35 pm

had another session longer lines and different kite,pissed, i am not even going to use this mount again just want to get rid of it, if anyone is interested inbox me we can work a sale price

Return to “Kitesurfing”