Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Finding the G... No Finding the sweet spot.

Forum for kitesurfers
plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Finding the G... No Finding the sweet spot.

Postby plummet » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:17 am

Ok boys its time to discuss the sweet spot of kites.

We quote wind ranges of our kites... this kite does 15-30 knots that one does 20-40 knots.

And yes we can fly them across that range. But there is a sweet spot for each kite. Find that spot and you have a magic session.

The sweet spot will be dependant on a number of variables. Your chosen style of riding. Your board, your water conditions, how many pies you have eaten,,,,

For me the sweet spot of my kites is that that point when you can park and ride. can boost and do loops. you have ample power but yet you can still send the kite through any part of the window without getting slammed.

Typically I find each kite has a sweet spot of 5 knots or so for any given style.

When I have a session thats within that sweet spot on any of my kites its allways a good session.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Re: Finding the G... No Finding the sweet spot.

Postby Westozzy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:26 am

Yeh I would concur with those SP observations.

I will add in it also depends what mood you are in and how your body feels.

Sometimes I am amped for some aggressive riding, huge airs, big lip smashes, really fast action. Then sometimes I'm up for more controlled grace.

This can change that sweet spot.

Also the sweet spot for me is when all those conditions you mentioned are done with little trim.

I trim to survive and sometimes to allow for gusty conditions. Other than that it is full throttle.

This comes about buy having correct length lines and the keeping the settings on my kite the the factory specifications.

This sweet spot may be extended slightly by changing my back line lengths, but I still maintain it falls within a 4 to 6 knot range.

But...sometimes that sweet spot can be extended slightly either side. It does depend.

Bit in summary the SP for me is when I can edge my kite around the wind window without losing a rail. But I'm a mutant TT rider who goes strapless SB riding just for kicks and giggles when the wind is low ish and the swell is up.

I think the SP characteristics will change quite a bit for a surfboard rider and indeed someone who is busting out freestyle knee smashing moves.

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade
Been thanked: 0

Postby Flight Time » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 pm

I find the sweet spot on my kite to be the point where I start talking to myself. What the hell am I doing? Do I really want to blow up my 12 right now? It's blowing 25, do I have a death wish? I get a little sweaty in the palms as I self launch with the depower slammed at the limit of it's throw.

But when I get away from the beach, I start smiling. Sending the kite results in Brighton pier footage, and when I chance have a look down, it looks like the view from a helicopter. Every jump feels like the highest one I have ever done. Even small ones give me the time I need to consider long grabs and the possibility of a board-off.

I think my personal speet spot on any of my kites is freakin lit. 2 ticks below insanity, to allow 1 tick for unforseen circumstances. :lol:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:59 pm

Nice very nice indeed!

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:37 pm

The sweet spot depend on what you want to do, but I agree that it is about 5knots, for example for my 9 the sweet spot for surfboard use is 17 to 23, the unhooked is 20 to 25 and boosting and loops 22 to 27, but where I kite the wind is rarely stable so you can get all of these strengths in a 1 hour session. I have 5 kites all of which I can use in 20 mph so I pick the kite most suited to the sea state and the predicted change in strength of the wind.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:16 pm

fdvj wrote:The sweet spot depend on what you want to do, but I agree that it is about 5knots, for example for my 9 the sweet spot for surfboard use is 17 to 23, the unhooked is 20 to 25 and boosting and loops 22 to 27, but where I kite the wind is rarely stable so you can get all of these strengths in a 1 hour session. I have 5 kites all of which I can use in 20 mph so I pick the kite most suited to the sea state and the predicted change in strength of the wind.
what 5 kites do you run fdvj?

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:17 pm

Flight Time wrote:I find the sweet spot on my kite to be the point where I start talking to myself. What the hell am I doing? Do I really want to blow up my 12 right now? It's blowing 25, do I have a death wish? I get a little sweaty in the palms as I self launch with the depower slammed at the limit of it's throw.
Nicely said FT. That's about the same for me ... kite seems more fun when lit, but then there's some fear involved on launch/landing. And then when lit out there, also that feeling of "this is super fun, but if it increases 5kts more, I'm screwed". Overpowered conditions for me lead to "survival kiting", which I don't find much fun...exciting yes, but not really what I'd call "fun". So, in choosing the right kite, the question for me is optimal/safe for launch/land but maybe a little underpowered, or lit and super fun but maybe having some worries.

For this relative newbie, first year kiter, I have ridden my 12m 90% of sessions, and the sweet spot is 18-20kts ... enough juice to easily ride toeside, do carving turns, fun transitions, big enough jumps ... and yet no nagging worries about being overpowered. Just fun play time. :D

And for my first good session on my new 6m .... consistent 30kts was super fun. A gusty/holey 25-35kts....not so much!

fdvj
Frequent Poster

Postby fdvj » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:04 pm

plummet wrote:
fdvj wrote:The sweet spot depend on what you want to do, but I agree that it is about 5knots, for example for my 9 the sweet spot for surfboard use is 17 to 23, the unhooked is 20 to 25 and boosting and loops 22 to 27, but where I kite the wind is rarely stable so you can get all of these strengths in a 1 hour session. I have 5 kites all of which I can use in 20 mph so I pick the kite most suited to the sea state and the predicted change in strength of the wind.
what 5 kites do you run fdvj?
Blade fat lady, 13, 11, 9 blade primes, 7m naish helix 2010, :D

fdvj
Frequent Poster

Postby fdvj » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:07 pm

Oh and 2 brand new C4s 11 and 8 which are still virgin. :(

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:17 pm

Depends completely on conditions, board and style of riding.

There are days when its smaller waves and I will preffer a smaller kite and a bigger board, then there are days with the same wind but its had time to build to bigger waves and I will choose a bigger kite and smaller board.

With two surfboards and a wake set up I can cover all but the very top end of a kites range and be happy to call it the sweet spot.

Return to “Kitesurfing”