Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Light wind Airush one 16M vs Fat Lady or other LW kites.

Forum for kitesurfers
naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: Light wind Airush one 16M vs Fat Lady or other LW kites.

Postby naishdude » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:56 pm

Try to lay your hands on a Switchkites NITRO V2 16m or 14m or a teamrider around your area to test them. ( you can find the testriders map on the website)
you will get what you are looking for.. :thumb:
www.switchkites.com

Dude :cool2:
Naishdude at Switchkites

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:19 am

Tried the Dyno 16m and 18m, the Turbine, the Infinity, and the Fat Lady. Was looking for a light wind kite to replace my 2010 16m Rebel. After all the demos, choose the Fat Lady. The Fat Lady had a lighter bar feel and turned much faster than the rest. Basically, the kite was more fun to fly. The Fat Lady also seemed to fly better through the lulls than the rest. I think this is due to the narrow leading edge and struts, making the kite very light. The Infinity(proto-type V1), smallest of the bunch at 15m, was also really fun to fly. However, just sat too deep in the window for my taste. I wanted a kite that sat more forward in the window, like the Rebel, for more efficient light wind riding. Good luck with your choice. :D

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:25 am

I bought the Fat Lady, Dyno 18 and the Fly at the same time.

IMHO, they are ALL different. I had 3 sesh's on the FL and 3 on the Fly. I still have the Dyno 18. The others are gone. Not that they are bad kites. They didn't suit my riding. I weigh 245lbs. and ride Exclus in the Ocean with DRIFT etc.

The Fly was a close 2nd to the Dyno. I prefer a Kite that still PULLS at the very edge of the window and has Juice on the upstroke.

The FL had WAY to much back pressure on the lines. I tried several things to ease that but with no success and including advice from the Kite designer. The FL is a fun kite, but it needs a little more juice to wake up.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby davesails7 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:54 am

KYLakeKiter wrote:He says he personally owns and flys the Lithium one and thinks it is great for light wind. What I thought was interesting was that he says it flys a little different in that instead of having to work the kite up and down to keep it in the window, he is able to just let out on the bar some and the kite moves back, letting him keep the kite parked better.
That's weird if that is true. This is the opposite of usual. Usually you let out the bar, the kite goes forward to the edge of the window.
KYLakeKiter wrote:Sorry if passing on second hand reports bothers anyone. I just wanted to share what I am hearing about the topic.
Definitely glad to hear the news on any kite. I finally got some wind today for the first time in weeks, so I'll stop judging so harshly :D

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:58 am

BWD wrote:For racing, kites mainly have to be fast in the conditions they work in. So they are fast from 10+ knots, fly in less, but when half or more of the kites fall out of the sky, they call the race off, right?
0-3 struts helps the kite float in 5-7 knots, but is there really much racing under 8 or 9 knots?
There is definitely racing in 8-9 knots. They don't call off the race unless it is less than 6 knots.

That's what the 17m and 18m kites are for. At around 12 knots with the raceboard I have to switch to a smaller kite.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:00 am

Damn Toeside, you are one rich dude. Funny that you like the Dyno 18. That's the one me and my friends liked the least because of it's slow turning speed. The 16m Dyno was better in our opinion with just a touch less low-end. The Dyno might be the better choice for racing though. My buddy who weighs 250(like you) liked the 17m Turbine. The Turbine has the the best low-end(pull) of the bunch, but became quite a handful for me(200 lbs) when the wind got up to 15 on a 6'2" surfboard. Like you said, they are all different kites and probably serve their purpose depending on how and where you ride and especially on how much you weigh.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:23 am

iblocalsurfer wrote:Damn Toeside, you are one rich dude. Funny that you like the Dyno 18. That's the one me and my friends liked the least because of it's slow turning speed. The 16m Dyno was better in our opinion with just a touch less low-end. The Dyno might be the better choice for racing though. My buddy who weighs 250(like you) liked the 17m Turbine. The Turbine has the the best low-end(pull) of the bunch, but became quite a handful for me(200 lbs) when the wind got up to 15 on a 6'2" surfboard. Like you said, they are all different kites and probably serve their purpose depending on how and where you ride and especially on how much you weigh.

Which one is the best for boosting? Tooooobbbbyyyyy....

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:41 am

That's weird if that is true. This is the opposite of usual. Usually you let out the bar, the kite goes forward to the edge of the window.
(davesails7 quote. still can't figure this quote thing out)

I thought the same thing, but if true, it would be a pretty sweet deal. You would think that the decrease in induced drag when letting the bar out would cause it to come forward, but I still haven't figured out all the possibilities kite makers could use with the curve of the leading edge, and possible angle of attack difference between the center of the kite and the tips.

This post is going pretty well. Actual people talking about what the kites really do. :thumb:
Last edited by KYLakeKiter on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:43 am

Have not ridden the Turbine. Can't vouch. I DO NOT like working the kite unless I'm desperate. I like P&R. Now, when the wind is up around 20 mph, yes it's fun to ride a Fast turning kite. Where I kite, 90% of the time it's 8-11mph. That's why so far the Speed 3 21M is the best so far.

I'm always willing 2 try something new. I will have to try the TURBINE. but, I want a kite that PULLS upwind at the edge of the window. If I want to do a downwinder, a BLUE Tarp from Lowes will surfice.

Manuel V
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Shacks, Puerto Rico
Favorite Beaches: For Surfing:
Rocky Point, Hawaii
Colorado, Nicaragua
Indicators, Rincon, Puerto Rico

Kiteboarding:
Anegada, BVI
Shacks, PR
Style: Intermediate wave, TT hooked
Gear: 6,7 and 9 M Ozone REO V4
9M Ozone Edge V9
12M Ozone Enduro 2017
Flysurfer speed 5 9M and 11M
Jimmy Lewis 5'9" Shack
Cohete Dizer 5'10"
Shinn BronQ 133x41 2015
Shinn Foil Model F
Slingshot Tyrant 5'8" 2014
Stretch The thing 5'6" kitesurfing construction
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Manuel V » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:55 am

iblocalsurfer wrote:. The Fat Lady had a lighter bar feel and turned much faster than the rest. Basically, the kite was more fun to fly.
Very interesting your comments because light bar pressure and faster turn is part of what I'm looking on a LW kite.

I read the Ozone page and the zephyr have a huge high end for a 17 M and looks a good kite but
After al the comments looks that the fat lady and the Dyno 18 have better low end. People comment that the Dyno is the LW kite that pulls more (like a truck) in the list of kites that we mention until now But all the comments says that the Dyno turns much slower than the others.

In my case I'm 160 lbs and after 14 knots I would switch to a 12 or a 10M and on the 20 knots range switch to a 9 M. My focus for a LW kite is on the 8 to 12 knots, I'm looking to have fun on that wind range.

Thanks for all your comments.

On the airush lithium One I have no idea on the weight but my friend had a 2012 12 M Airush One that I never try it but that kite was really light!. It was so light that between sections he can't leave the kite on the beach if he don't put a good amount of sand on top of the kite and all the other 12M or 10 M (3 struts and 5 struts) kites stay on the beach without problem. for me the One 16M would be one of the lightest or may be the lightest of the kites we mention. How pulls and flight that is another story........... That someone that already test it can comment.

Return to “Kitesurfing”