Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Light wind Airush one 16M vs Fat Lady or other LW kites.

Forum for kitesurfers
14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Re: Light wind Airush one 16M vs Fat Lady or other LW kites.

Postby 14ToeSide » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:04 am

The Dyno does not pull like a truck. The FL pulled like a truck. Again, I may not have had it set correctly. However, the designer said it DOES have a fair amount of bar pressure.

Pulling like a Truck to me means its trying to take u downwind. The Dyno does not do that.

If I were u, I would try the Fly before u decide.

I have flown the 14M trigger (smaller brother to the Lady) and felt it had MORE Raw power then the 17 FL. MAY be one of the Best 14Ms I have ever flown. U want fast turning: take the 14 out.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:12 am

A friend of ours tested the 16m Dyno in overpowered conditions and was getting some serious air. I have never jumped with the Fat Lady since I ride it in San Diego where the winds are light and weigh 200 lbs. So, with my 5'11" Fish, the Fat Lady fits the bill for me :D . As soon as the wind gets 15 and over, I can ride my 10m or 12m. I also think that the board makes more of a diffrence than your kite in light wind. So many discussions on this forum about light wind kites, but hardly any topics about boards. The Fat Lady/Fish is the best combo for fun I've found so far for where I ride. However, a 5' 6" Sweet Potato might replace the fish soon. That board is a blast in junky surf/light wind.

At Toeside: You should give that board a try in a bigger size. Seems we ride in similar conditions. Also, There are two settings on the Fat Lady like the 2012 Triggers. One puts it farther forward in the window, the other set it deeper with a little more bar pressure. I've always had it set in the forward setting and it screams upwind. :D
Last edited by TommyDuotone on Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby KYLakeKiter » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:12 am

Manuel V wrote:
iblocalsurfer wrote:. The Fat Lady had a lighter bar feel and turned much faster than the rest. Basically, the kite was more fun to fly.
Very interesting your comments because light bar pressure and faster turn is part of what I'm looking on a LW kite.

I read the Ozone page and the zephyr have a huge high end for a 17 M and looks a good kite but
After al the comments looks that the fat lady and the Dyno 18 have better low end. People comment that the Dyno is the LW kite that pulls more (like a truck) in the list of kites that we mention until now But all the comments says that the Dyno turns much slower than the others.

In my case I'm 160 lbs and after 14 knots I would switch to a 12 or a 10M and on the 20 knots range switch to a 9 M. My focus for a LW kite is on the 8 to 12 knots, I'm looking to have fun on that wind range.

Thanks for all your comments.

On the airush lithium One I have no idea on the weight but my friend had a 2012 12 M Airush One that I never try it but that kite was really light!. It was so light that between sections he can't leave the kite on the beach if he don't put a good amount of sand on top of the kite and all the other 12M or 10 M (3 struts and 5 struts) kites stay on the beach without problem. for me the One 16M would be one of the lightest or may be the lightest of the kites we mention. How pulls and flight that is another story........... That someone that already test it can comment.
The guy I talked to today who owns and flys one and is very experienced, told me that he has flown it (Lithium One) in up to 20kts, but the look on his face when he said it, tells me that it must have been a pretty sporty ride. So, somewhere less than 20kts. (he looked about 180/190 lbs).

As for the Turbine, I always think of Slingshots as bulletproof kites. I still ride a T3 regularly. Is anyone else concerned about the durabilitly of the "split strut" design. With the canopy as the top of the strut material, I can't help but think it will be more susceptable to canopy tears (in a bad spot) which is a problem for me with a pretty pricey kite. Just a thought, and I hope I am wrong because I am a long time and happy Slingshot abuser. :lol:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:31 am

I spent an entire day on a 16m Dyno in Bali. No it doesn't pull like a truck at all, but slowish turning yeh. I reckon also the Dyno would suite heavier riders. But if you are jumping this kite, big boosting like, it doesn't need much movement to take you up anyhow.

A guy I know flew both the fat lady and the Dyno together, loved them both but for differnt reasons. He's a big guy, hence the Dyno suited him as he has a tendancy to distort a kites canopy under load. He said if you are lighter (under 100kg), and you want to play in the waves etc the Fat lady is a great kite. I'd say if you want to race a Dyno would work better.

Depends on what style of riding you want to do really. There is a kite for all of us.

The zephyr is an interesting one. I know of a guy who has the 17m zephr and the next kite is an 11m edge. Hes about 88kg, TT rider. He swears by the kite and has the attitude that he would rather be powered up from 13 to 15 knots when it is worth it and have some juice still in the tank if the wind picks up. Then when it hits 18 plus, then it starts moving into the sweet spot on his 11m. There's that sweet spot term again. He is not interested in really light wind kiting. I share the same ideas. That said the 2013 zephyr is said to be getting a better bottom end, I just hope they dont stuff with the top end.

But if ya after real light wind kiting then you have to first consider your board choice in my opinion, then build a kite around that. For your bottom bottom end that is.

For me it would be the zephyr, depends on again what you are after as Im a TT rider really.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:32 am

Agree about the board. In Ultra light wind, I ride a John Amundson Custom 6ft 5, 23 in wide and 3 in thick. Extremely flat rocker front and back w good Concave. The board planes off very quick and has great glide in lulls. It's a Quad. Board for me is def important.

Fat Lady likes Board Speed/App wind. Dyno, Fly, Speed 3 21 are Pk n Ride.

All good input here from everyone.

cowboy
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby cowboy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:54 am

Dont forget about the Best TS 15 or 17m great low wind range on these and decent high end

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:25 am

14ToeSide wrote:Agree about the board. In Ultra light wind, I ride a John Amundson Custom 6ft 5, 23 in wide and 3 in thick. Extremely flat rocker front and back w good Concave. The board planes off very quick and has great glide in lulls. It's a Quad. Board for me is def important.

Fat Lady likes Board Speed/App wind. Dyno, Fly, Speed 3 21 are Pk n Ride.

All good input here from everyone.

Sure you got that right toeside, the speed and the dyno as far as I can tell thrive on apparent wind. That's their design platform, flying to hunt the edge of the window. The fat lady is more grunt orientated and finds it power deeper in the window. Park and ride kites are not race kites, and the dyno is considered a race kite. Just like the edge.

I may be wrong man, but I would say you may have this the wrong way round man.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:22 pm

Westozzy wrote:Sure you got that right toeside, the speed and the dyno as far as I can tell thrive on apparent wind. That's their design platform, flying to hunt the edge of the window. The fat lady is more grunt orientated and finds it power deeper in the window. Park and ride kites are not race kites, and the dyno is considered a race kite. Just like the edge.
I agree, high aspect kites like Dyno thrive on apparent wind speed, but that does make them a park and ride kite I think. Dive the kite once to get going, then with the kite parked, your speed keeps building and the kite keeps pulling harder.

This is why race board and race kite is the best combo for ultimate low end (although I do also love riding high aspect kites with twin tip and hanging in the air forever).

One topic I haven't seen discussed much here is upwind angle with respect to apparent wind. When it's blowing 8 knots, and you are travelling along at 12 knots, the wind really shifts around in front of you. If your board speed = the wind speed, the apparent wind angle will be half way between your heading and the true wind angle. If you're going faster than the wind it shifts even further. Your angle to the apparent wind is pretty much constant (from what I've measured with GPS).

I've found this in really light winds. Even with a raceboard, when the wind is really light, it is really hard to stay/go upwind because the apparent wind shifts so far in front of you.

Manuel V
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Shacks, Puerto Rico
Favorite Beaches: For Surfing:
Rocky Point, Hawaii
Colorado, Nicaragua
Indicators, Rincon, Puerto Rico

Kiteboarding:
Anegada, BVI
Shacks, PR
Style: Intermediate wave, TT hooked
Gear: 6,7 and 9 M Ozone REO V4
9M Ozone Edge V9
12M Ozone Enduro 2017
Flysurfer speed 5 9M and 11M
Jimmy Lewis 5'9" Shack
Cohete Dizer 5'10"
Shinn BronQ 133x41 2015
Shinn Foil Model F
Slingshot Tyrant 5'8" 2014
Stretch The thing 5'6" kitesurfing construction
Been thanked: 0

Postby Manuel V » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:13 pm

Westozzy wrote: The zephyr is an interesting one. I know of a guy who has the 17m zephr and the next kite is an 11m edge. Hes about 88kg, TT rider. He swears by the kite and has the attitude that he would rather be powered up from 13 to 15 knots when it is worth it and have some juice still in the tank if the wind picks up. Then when it hits 18 plus, then it starts moving into the sweet spot on his 11m. There's that sweet spot term again. He is not interested in really light wind kiting. I share the same ideas. That said the 2013 zephyr is said to be getting a better bottom end, I just hope they dont stuff with the top end.

But if ya after real light wind kiting then you have to first consider your board choice in my opinion, then build a kite around that. For your bottom bottom end that is.

For me it would be the zephyr, depends on again what you are after as Im a TT rider really.
I never ride one but the zephyr looks great for a two kite quiver especially if the 2013 have a better bottom end.

I agree with you board choice is very important. In my case I had a sector 54 (3 fin) and a North Nugget at the end I sale the Sector 54 and keep the Nugget. I try both board many times and my opinion is that in LW the Sector 54 can be used may be 2 knots lower than the Nugget because the sector floats more. For example in one of the test days with a lithium 12M in 12 knots with choppy conditions, I run upwind without problem in both boards, but the 4 fin configuration of the nugget works much better for me upwind and in the choppy conditions the Nugget works better because is shorter. If we talk about LW and race combination probably the sector is a better choice but for LW/freeride, fun and small waves the Nugget is my board selection.

Back to LW kite topic,
I'm in the same idea; I'm not full interested in light wind kiting.
But I'm looking to add to my actual set of kites (9 and 12M) a LW kite that I can run with power and I can jump in my TT (Monk 132x41 and 133x42 Dundee) in the 8-12 knots range. If the kite is good on the waves is a plus. I don't know if asking to ride my TT in 8 knots is to low :roll:
may be 10 knots is more real...................

I think that a LW kite selection for everyone is very similar to select your every date kite, selection depends on the weight of the rider and according to the weight we also select the board, but the difference is that for LW selection we need to take more in consideration what everyone wants to do in LW. I'm 160 lbs and likes to run with power but probably I would be extremely overpower in 13 knots with a LW kite that a 220 lbs guy use normally in 13 knots.

Thanks for all the comments and information that everyone is sharing about the different LW kites.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:25 am

Some great board selections there man. Funny you say about the upwind ability of the nugget, I to found the sector a couple of knots lighter but ya right that nugget does indeed rock upwind really really well. I rode both back to back, swapping my 54 with the nugget. Also spent quite a few sessions on my bros nugget and came to the same conclusion. Nugget was more fun.

Return to “Kitesurfing”