Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which kite is easy to use, user friendly, easy relaunch

Postby davesails7 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:06 pm

I've never flown the Ion, but out of the 15 or so kites I've flown, the Best Kahoona stands out well above all others as the easiest to fly and easiest relaunch.

When you crash it in waves and by the time you come up out of the water, it's already sitting on the edge of the window, up on one wing tip, skipping off the water ready to relaunch!

I'm sure there are many other 3 strut kites delta kites that have this same characteristic.

Used Kahoonas are super cheap too.

Speedkillz
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mokuleia, Kailua
Style: Freeride, Wave
Gear: Switch Element 13m, Switch Element 9m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Speedkillz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:40 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Speedkillz wrote:I learned on BWS and immediately bought my Element
Hey speedkillz: did you find the BWS had problems with relaunch? And did it have the flying overhead problem you mention? I'd be curious to know how the BWS compares to your Element.
Juan,

I only used the BWS for the very first lesson that I took. I did not have trouble flying it overhead. It flapped a lot though. I don't know what that means, or even if it matters, but that is what I most remember. I am pretty sure that they have new versions of those kites, so like most brands I am sure that they work well.

I like Switch and the kites I own have been great to me. I will be getting the Nitro II in 14m soon, but I am waiting to see if my 13m Element ever wears all the way out. I ride it, on average, 3-4 times a week and crash it a lot. It has really held up well though. When you compare the cost of a brand new kite most other brands on the market, it is tough to justify spending almost twice as much -- unless you are just that good (which I am not). Hopefully you have a team rider somewhere near you (check the website) and you can spend some time with one. That seems to be when most people decide if they like a kite or not. If you are ever near Mokuleia hit me up and you can ride mine -- I am not a team rider, but I'll do what I can to support the brand as they have been great to me!

Aloha

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:10 pm

Speedkillz wrote:I only used the BWS for the very first lesson that I took. I did not have trouble flying it overhead. It flapped a lot though. I don't know what that means, or even if it matters, but that is what I most remember. I am pretty sure that they have new versions of those kites, so like most brands I am sure that they work well.
Thanks SK. I just bought a quiver of BWS kites, got a really good deal, so took a chance buying them without a demo. Have tried them out once in lame winds, but haven't yet put them through their paces for a real test. In the meantime, I have been reading any reviews I can find...that's why I asked. Mokuleia....had to look that up, WOW, I'm jealous, looks like paradise to me. Here in Sooke BC, it's 5 celsius and grey today...how about there? :wink:

As for contributing to the "easy relaunch" thread, I don't have much experience to throw in. I have ridded Ocean Rodeo Rise and Cabrinha Switchblade, both of which seemed fine for relaunch. Never had much trouble with either.

I took lessons in France with RRD kite, not sure of the model. Too kooky at the time to give them a proper review, but as a newbie I found it a super dependable kite ... when I let go of the bar on wipeouts, it would just stand on its wingtip at the edge of window, waiting for instructions.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:46 am

Lower aspect 3 strut kite as someone has said. Will only comment on what I have flown. The kahoona, wainmen and lithuim all fit in that category. But honestly soon enough relaunch won't be as big an issue. If you like how your kite flies then stick with it. Don't compromise performance or dollars for a great relaunching kite!

I fly edges now, now they can be a bitch to relaunch compared to the above but as I said don't compromise on performance.

The core GT is not a friendly kite by the way as someone said it is an aggressive sick jumping maniac kite b

Hellen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: dahab, egypt
Been thanked: 0

Postby Hellen » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:12 am

Hi there, I live in Dahab (Egypt) and ride all the time, in any condition you can imagine. Have seen lots of kiters and taught to people. 4 lines kites, bow or delta are safe and user friendly, can enjoy in all terrain and follow you until a pretty good level, old and new school, then you may want somethings more specific talking about performance.
You can fairly call it even auto-relaunch with RRD Passion or Best Kahoona...try before you buy!
For sure having a flat water spot will help you...and your girl!
Come to find both flat and shallow water in the kite lagoon here in Dahab...and some sun too!!
You can sit right on the kite beach, neat woody Happy Kite station where to chill and meet people!
Hang loose!

Return to “Kitesurfing”