Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Back to the drawing board- how will we beat Sail Rocket?

Forum for kitesurfers
Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: Back to the drawing board- how will we beat Sail Rocket?

Postby Bille » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:54 am

Rabidric wrote:...

Bearing in mind what driving over tiny bridge partition gaps in the highway at 120mph is like, (and we are talking about bumps a few millimetres high), I imagine getting shaken to bits on the chop is the big hurdle to overcome sailing on water at 80knt+ ...

FWIW probably the best way to go 100knt+ over water, using wind energy alone is probably this: ...[:D
Whad-Ya have to go & post THAT for ?
Now i gotta go FLY something ; a HG or a PG, whatever the wind gods say is best
for the day !!

YEA, i know what your saying on the "shaken" thing ; when i Had feet, i made a pair
of roller-blades with two large air tires 8" in diameter in front & behind my foot.
then i went to the dry-lake with a 5M kite & the home-made blades ...

At about 25-30mph, my brain shook so much that i couldn't see out of it ; so i
dropped the air-pressure from 32lb down to about16, in the tires. I could see now, but
they weren't Nearly as FAST !!
Thinking about it ------- That was a Really Stupid thing to make & try ?(sure was FUN though)

Bille

braveman
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby braveman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:05 am

If you eat a LOT of beans and wait for a while before kiting again then that could make you go faster.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:12 pm

It may be possible to use Wing in Ground Effect to help control the depth of the inverted foil.

The board would be designed to skim at a certain height above the water. If it went above this height, the foil would be angled to go deeper to maintain the skimming height.
Its the reverse of what Don Montague does with his kite powered hydrofoil catamaran when encountering waves.

The kite would probably have its powerline connected to the top of the hydrofoil mast, which would pass through the board and be hinged to it by a ball shape. The kiter would lie on the board aligned to the direction of the apparent wind at 60 knots, steering and trimming the kite with the bar. If things go tits up the kiter only has to let go of the bar and he may have some velcro keeping him on the board, which would have to detatch. I dont know how he would steer the board. This would probably suit an open water space like Walvis Bay, where you have to worry about hitting water if you can get away from the board.

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/sp ... =allsearch

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:44 pm

Hmmm... the answer can simpler than you are all thinking - the sail Rocket is not a new idea, it is a collection of existing ideas from someone openminded enough to see things as they really are !! If you have a multitude background of powered watersports - the answer is very obvious and you dont need millions of "conditoned" dollars to figure it out .. Or build it :)

Rabidric
Frequent Poster

Postby Rabidric » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:07 pm

Kite2Heaven wrote:Hmmm... the answer can simpler than you are all thinking - the sail Rocket is not a new idea, it is a collection of existing ideas from someone openminded enough to see things as they really are !! If you have a multitude background of powered watersports - the answer is very obvious and you dont need millions of "conditoned" dollars to figure it out .. Or build it :)
Riiight.....and I guess you've been keeping this under your hat for some time, lest you blind us us with the munificent brilliance of your godly genius. Please, enlighten us, great one.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:19 pm

velcro
Really just a string....

polarstorm
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sauble, Santa Rita, Valmitao
Favorite Beaches: Santa Rita, Valmitao
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha (little goat)

Postby polarstorm » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:45 pm

pluvious2002 wrote:having the pilot lay down may be the solution to the upright rider wind resistance issue. much simpler than elaborate speed suits, carbon leg cowlings, etc, etc. (rob douglas as transformer man)
Does it even have to be manned? The guy controlling a joystick seems like a technicality to me.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:47 pm

Rabidric - if you really want answers, tell us whats new about the SailRocket - then just to quiz your opened mind... Tell us how Formula 1's stored braking energy can be used in fluid dynamics... This is a thinking persons topic - name calling unecessary thankyou.

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:23 pm

Kite2Heaven wrote:Rabidric - if you really want answers, tell us whats new about the SailRocket - then just to quiz your opened mind... Tell us how Formula 1's stored braking energy can be used in fluid dynamics... This is a thinking persons topic - name calling unecessary thankyou.
:cheers:

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:28 pm

Rabidric wrote:
Kite2Heaven wrote:Hmmm... the answer can simpler than you are all thinking - the sail Rocket is not a new idea, it is a collection of existing ideas from someone openminded enough to see things as they really are !! If you have a multitude background of powered watersports - the answer is very obvious and you dont need millions of "conditoned" dollars to figure it out .. Or build it :)
Riiight.....and I guess you've been keeping this under your hat for some time, lest you blind us us with the munificent brilliance of your godly genius. Please, enlighten us, great one.
I read the same thing you did --Rabidric--, and interpreted it Completely different.

I thought -- Kite2Heaven-- was saying :
The builder of sail-rocket had incorporated a bunch of Old ideas to make a Newer, Faster device.
And he had to be very open-minded in-order to see his dream boat before anyone else could build
it ; even though everyone had the same knowledge to draw from.

Two people see the same thing ; but get a different interpretation. It's Good that everyone
on the planet "Doesn't" think the same, or technology would still be back in the 12'th century !

I don't even Wanna count how many times i have said : "now That's a stupid idea" ; then see
it materialize into something really cool later.
Dick-Tracy and his TV wrist-watch ; that was what 1940 or 50 ? and now we have a TV that we can carry in our shirt pocket, it's called
an (iPod), and practically everyone owns one now. Yea -- and you could Velcro it to your wrist
if ya wanted !!

Bille

SO --Rabidric-- Today it's you that's gonna be scolded, last week it was Me .. so
keeping an Open Mind , is probably a good lesson to be reminded of !!

Return to “Kitesurfing”