Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to start with a directional? Help!

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How to start with a directional? Help!

Postby tautologies » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:31 pm

mike dubs wrote:As some of the guys said, try flat water, and above all leave the TT at home for at least 6 straight sessions to force yourself to commit.

Most don't and then keep reverting to TT and never give the surfboard a solid go.

Mike
but who cares tho? I mean maybe then directional wasn't for the the OP?
Unless of course this is what OP really wants. To me in general if I want to learn something, I take it out on my first session..or practice it in the first session, then go for a casual ride after. I do not want to have sessions where I only struggle. Often I learn something when I am doing something else. Relaxing the mind as it were instead of obsessing about the stuff I should learn. Point in case, duck tacks. Been wanting to do those, never even making it around. Had seen people doing them, until I was out riding waves, and suddenly my mind was: "Oh wait that is how I do it". I nailed it the first try after that.

I think leaving the TT behind is a bad idea..but then again I am allergic to bad sessions ;-)

peppers
Rare Poster
Style: wave
Gear: whatever
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby peppers » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:50 pm

The best advise I read from this forum at the time was - to leave the TT at home.
Before I got my first SB I knew that one day I will be riding strapless. Nevertheless I felt it was easier to start with straps, just to feel out the board. I sailed one way, sat down, turned the board and sailed back.
After 2-3 sessions I got rid of the straps and tried the same thing. It took me about 4-5 sessions to get the first jibe.
Just be dedicated and you will get hang of it. Wish you all the best.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:42 pm

I understand what Mike is saying, but I think that just relates to commiting to learning the new board and style. Like most things, it sucks when you don't know what your doing, but great when you figure it out.

Taut is right though. Don't just thrash yourself every session. Work on the new skills, but at least reward yourself with something fun before you land the kite. This ain't work. We do this because its fun. :mosh:

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:53 pm

This may sound kind of redneck, but to get better with the board on no wind days, I actually practiced getting pulled by my Seadoo. This really helped me figure out how to get on the board strapless and get a feel for manuevering it.

Once I strapped on the kite, it was even easier then since the pull was up more and not just straight forward.

Just a thought if you have the option.

Dr Makani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Dr Makani » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:26 am

tautologies wrote:I do not want to have sessions where I only struggle. Often I learn something when I am doing something else. Relaxing the mind as it were instead of obsessing about the stuff I should learn.
right on -

the major point in this sport is that you have fun for yourself, be proud of yourself and get your face wet. Don't be afraid to embarrass yourself - straps on, straps off, wax on, wax off, ... doesn't matter - just take that dam board and ride it; play with it. Learn the dynamics and do the most awesome crashes you can survive. And in your next session you'll change the configuration:
Apply, rinse, repeat ...
This is the juice of awesomeness I can drink by the gallon in this sport: YOU LEARN SOMETHING!

I've surfed TT, SB, skim board, yard sign, drift wood, Costco foamie, SUP, ... - heck I even 'surfed' an outrigger canoe with a kite - so why the hell should I leave a board at home???

I purposely close every session on a 'good note', a positive experience. So if I train a new board, a trick or move I'll stop after a while and break out my darling board, my 'go-to-board' and ride it for rest of my session.

peace

Return to “Kitesurfing”